Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7958 7959 [7960] 7961 7962 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14514327 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #119385 on: March 17, 2017, 08:39:11 am »

... I'm just kinda' curious why fouling in blood bowl of all things is apparently seen as a lack of sportsmanship. Last I noticed that sort of thing was like half the point of the game...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119386 on: March 17, 2017, 08:45:19 am »

It's fouling on the last turn of the game specifically that's considered bad sportsmanship, where it can't in any way actually help you win that game, all it can possibly do is injure or kill an opponents player, hurting them in future games.

Edit: Two additional important notes, unlike other injuries in the game, you don't gain star player points for fouling (if I recall correctly) which truly means in a one off game you gain literally nothing from fouling on the last turn, it's only a chance to deal some lasting hurt to the opponents team. However, in a league setting where you're likely or guaranteed to see them again, I can see last turn fouling having some merit, seeing as it might weaken their team for the rematch. I think it's still considered rude and I don't personally do it (although to be fair when I did play the game I rarely fouled what so ever, so I guess that doesn't say much) but I've had it done to me without too much of an eyebrow raised. Most commonly once an opponent, especially a bashy one, has given up on the game they might turn to just constant fouling.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:00:30 am by Criptfeind »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #119387 on: March 17, 2017, 09:11:04 am »

People used to glhf in mobas.
And the proceed to yell at people for not following a strict guide, with a voice chat if that function is in the game. AoS is, like, one of the least "sportsmanship" type of games I've ever seen.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #119388 on: March 17, 2017, 09:17:36 am »

Eh, it's up there but competitive team based stuff in general likes to turn vicious without much prompting. Which is to say most multiplayer games out there, really, ha.

Will say one of the better ways to sort of mitigate some of that I've seen came from Infantry. Large random teams that occasionally shuffle members mixed with usually relatively short rounds and a large and visible player pool (i.e. you didn't constantly cycle through names you've never encountered before) seemed to take a bit of the edge off. Also helped that the nature of the zones and gameplay generally meant you could contribute a fair amount even if you sucked gigantic explosive donkey balls, and even losing tended to be pretty enjoyable.

[snip]
Ah, that makes more sense. Had forgotten what turn 16 entailed, heh.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:23:28 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119389 on: March 17, 2017, 11:45:15 am »

Frankly if there is one thing that cheeses me off about "Good Sportsmanship" is how INCREDIBLY SUPER FAKE it often is.

Good luck, have fun? Alright...

Good Game! when the game could have been absolutely terrible or your in a huff? Yeah, that actually cheeses me off.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119390 on: March 17, 2017, 11:49:06 am »

Making me want to play blood bowl 2 again somehow.  I quit after 3 matches in a row with at least 2 deaths on my team.  I came back for a short stint, but immediately got turned off from it again when my starting team was matched against some maxed out team.   All the pregame bonuses I could buy could not even remotely even that match.

Oh and one of my mvps died on literally the first action of that game to a rerolled double skull.

Something is wrong with the rng in that game, and it's not just nuffle.

EDIT: In heroes of the storm I usually 'good luck, have bacon' at the start of a match.  Same with Depth.  I seem to be the only one that does any kind of glhf.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:51:03 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #119391 on: March 17, 2017, 11:52:00 am »

Frankly if there is one thing that cheeses me off about "Good Sportsmanship" is how INCREDIBLY SUPER FAKE it often is.

Good luck, have fun? Alright...

Good Game! when the game could have been absolutely terrible or your in a huff? Yeah, that actually cheeses me off.

Eh, It's like courtesy in conversation.

The GG, GLHF, the Bow, it's a certain level of minimum conduct. Even if it's not heartfelt, it's something.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119392 on: March 17, 2017, 11:57:40 am »

Yea gg is just good conduct.  If I legitimately had a good game I'd spell it out fully or comment on it instead of just going gg.   

The good luck have bacon, is just a reminder that it's a game, and it's an indication that I'm not going to get on someone's case if they fuck up, and I'm hoping for the same courtesy.  I play games to have fun, I'm going to try my best but I'm not one of those people that analyses every replay to get better.  Blizzard is not paying me to be a pro brightwing, [whoever made depth] is not paying me to be the best at eating people, so I don't take it that far.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119393 on: March 17, 2017, 12:29:27 pm »

Yea gg is just good conduct.

Yes it is a convention that everyone ENFORCES.

But it is still super fake.

I mean... What is your REAL defense here? Ohh right... That it IS super fake and that is why it is good. As "Conduct" you are meaning Demeanor as well.

I mean say that it is better than the alternative. Yet don't pretend that because it is a convention that it is somehow not one of the fakest things people are expected to do.

---

Then again "Super Fakeness" only bothers me... Everyone loves people who never tell the truth, hide their feelings, and only tell you what you want to hear.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:31:36 pm by Neonivek »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #119394 on: March 17, 2017, 12:32:35 pm »

ENFORCES.

This word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

I mean... What is your REAL defense here? Ohh right... That it IS super fake and that is why it is good. As "Conduct" you are meaning Demeanor as well.

I mean say that it is better than the alternative. Yet don't pretend that because it is a convention that it is somehow not one of the fakest things people are expected to do.

It's like any form of formalized competition- a mark of respect.

Eh, it's not the fakest thing people are expected to do. Don't take that award away from standardized testing, it's the only thing it has left to hold onto.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119395 on: March 17, 2017, 12:36:34 pm »

It's been a convention in gaming for decades because it prevents people from devolving into whining, raging animals.

Much like etiquette in actual society. Just because it disallows or precludes a person from being a poisonous irritant when they lose doesn't mean it's "fake".
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #119396 on: March 17, 2017, 12:39:50 pm »

Yea gg is just good conduct.

Yes it is a convention that everyone ENFORCES.

But it is still super fake.

---

Then again "Super Fakeness" only bothers me... Everyone loves people who never tell the truth, hide their feelings, and only tell you what you want to hear.
O_o
o_O
I feel like you're either overreacting a lot, or somewhat biased. Although most of my experiences are from DotA (LAN instead of online...) eeeeeever since it premiered back in the years (before any of those other 'MOBA's or what they're called now, and back in Warcraft III before the SNOW MAPS), "gg" and other parts are common courtesy, even said when people aren't in the mood because they're thinking about many things and it's common courtesy just like saying please and thank you--at times, usually, with the same visibility as the 'said' part in narrative textual dialogue. Unless you are focusing on how useless it is because analytics is prodding you hard. :P

Seriously. It's like speaking fully out of context and then using that impression to generalize the whole thing. >_<
What's the case you're thinking about?
Who in general gave you that impression?

[...]
Eh, it's not the fakest thing people are expected to do. Don't take that award away from standardized testing, it's the only thing it has left to hold onto.
If you're talking about psychological standardized testing, I've to boop you there about the levels of superficiality that give the impression of 'fake'. :3

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119397 on: March 17, 2017, 12:43:34 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As I said, this fakeness only bothers me and me alone and no this isn't sarcasm.

No one else that I know of is bothered by "social conventions" that are just empty words meant to mean something but deprived of all meaning.

This isn't like... Forced Charity. Where yes, most people have some issue with it even though it is still done today.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:55:52 pm by Neonivek »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119398 on: March 17, 2017, 12:55:26 pm »

So, maybe everyone is arguing the same thing?

If it was not a good game for EVERYONE, don't say good game. Like in a 5v5 if two guys leave and the 3 man side get stomped, that is not a good game.

If it was not a good game for YOU, but it was for others, say it anyway. I find that the main reason people do not like saying it is because it acknowledges that the game functioned as intended, and you still lost/did not perform well, and therefore your loss reflects on you, and admitting that in any way whatsoever is beyond some folks maturity. It's the line-up-and-handshake at the end of a baseball, and the same kind of people hate it for the same reason.

It's not a compliment to anyone, it's basic sportsmanship.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119399 on: March 17, 2017, 12:57:08 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Where are we? Victorian England?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:58:42 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 7958 7959 [7960] 7961 7962 ... 11037