Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7953 7954 [7955] 7956 7957 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14513335 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #119310 on: March 15, 2017, 02:26:55 am »

While there are many problems with minimum sentencing, that is not one of them. Prosecuters don't pick charges - a grand jury does that. Judges are not bound by the charges that are given - a judge can throw out any charge he or she feels like as long as it is in favor of the defendant.  A judge can throw out a conviction if they feel it is inappropriate. Besides, in many states sentencing isn't the judge's domain in the first place - a jury does that, with the judge having final review.

Well over 90% of all criminal cases (94% at the state level and 97% federal) end in plea bargains, so none of that matters.  Also a jury does not get to make a sentence lower than a mandatory minimum.  What do you think "mandatory" means?

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #119311 on: March 15, 2017, 02:39:20 am »

Person on Twitter claims there's a problem with people in IT where they don't hire minorities.

And then I look at my graduating class and see in a class of about 80 students:

One black guy (possibly 2, dunno if he's flunked yet)
Three women
Four Chinese students (one of which is part of the women group)
Three Arabic men
And the rest are white men

The next year after me has five women and four Arabic men, but nothing else that counts for your minorities

My WTF is more that people still believe everything is white people's fault when clearly they aren't seeing the big picture.

In this case, IT isnt appealing to people who aren't white males. And this is CANADA. The person complaining was an American. Most Canadians are considered a part of the minority population too because of how many people who are in here are immigrants.

Really getting sick of people thinking white people are scum just because they're white... They preach anti-racism and unity but become the thing they claimed they're against and call for ostracising out a group for the colour of their skin...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119312 on: March 15, 2017, 02:42:27 am »

Well over 90% of all criminal cases (94% at the state level and 97% federal) end in plea bargains, so none of that matters.

Well... it kind of still does. Given that plea bargains are typically taken based on how the trial goes.

Plea Bargains are basically a game of chicken and tend to favor the guilty over the innocent as it is (which is why in some places... Plea Bargains are made illegal.. which had the unusual unheard of consequence of the police doing a better job at crime scene investigation... No idea why)

Really getting sick of people thinking white people are scum just because they're white... They preach anti-racism and unity but become the thing they claimed they're against and call for ostracising out a group for the colour of their skin...

My favorite is that often these groups will discount how, you know, the actual minorities feel and project onto them. If the minorities complain? Well it is because they are brainwashed.

It is worse in some circles (disabilities) than others.

Basically... it is why Speedy Gonzales was banned for years... because he was Racist to Mexicans, as told by not Mexicans.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119313 on: March 15, 2017, 02:43:23 am »

(removed)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 03:13:04 pm by Toady One »
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119314 on: March 15, 2017, 02:50:05 am »

(response to removed removed)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 03:13:31 pm by Toady One »

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119315 on: March 15, 2017, 02:53:56 am »

Why?
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119316 on: March 15, 2017, 03:04:37 am »

Why?

Because you overreached and ended up actually sounding sexist.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119317 on: March 15, 2017, 03:22:47 am »

Not sure where you're getting that from, Neo. It was all pretty clearly tongue-in-cheek.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #119318 on: March 15, 2017, 04:18:27 am »

It was kinda both. From the context and previous knowledge, I know it's a joke, but someone new to these forums could make the mistake. It's a usually a good idea to use the :P emote to subvert Poe's Law when making such statements.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119319 on: March 15, 2017, 05:06:18 am »

It was kinda both. From the context and previous knowledge, I know it's a joke, but someone new to these forums could make the mistake. It's a usually a good idea to use the :P emote to subvert Poe's Law when making such statements.
Emoticons are as close to inflection written English can get imo. I mean, sure, if you're writing a book context should do it for you, but in chat...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just to demonstrate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119320 on: March 15, 2017, 05:39:09 am »

Watching a series where these guys do nothing but eat cheap, moderate, and expensive versions of foods.

And oddly enough... The cheap and moderate wins most of the time.

There is something about REALLY SUPER expensive foods... that seems to be more... like a show piece then a good example of the craft. Not that they are terrible, but they tend to lose out to the moderates.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #119321 on: March 15, 2017, 05:58:06 am »

I imagine the price point creates an expectation that can't be lived up to.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119322 on: March 15, 2017, 06:04:11 am »

I imagine the price point creates an expectation that can't be lived up to.

Most of the time it is that once you hit a certain price point the ONLY way to make it more expensive is to give it pointless additions.

Like... for example... a Salad.

There is only so expensive you can make a salad if you are focusing PURELY on taste... I mean you can get the freshest ingredients, custom dressings, fine cheeses...

So... How do you get a Salad that costs 1000 dollars? Well... add truffles, gold leaf, or design it so the salad looks exactly like the Mona Lisa.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #119323 on: March 15, 2017, 08:57:15 am »

I just killed the Pope from severe stress, after chasing him all over Italy trying to capture him.

CK II. I have been attacking the bastard for a few years now, looting Roma and another Papacy territory back and forth endlessly, siphoning hundreds of gold ducats from the Papal treasury.

They thought they'd defeat me with a numerically-superior mercenary force, but... Lo, I was just outside the gates of Roma and crushed them while they were still getting equipped.

I then captured the Prince-Bishop, a regional Bishop, the heir to the Lithuanian mercenary band, a commander of the Lithuanian band, and finally...

When I was hoping to capture my first ever pope as Ragnarr Lodbrok, Viking ravager...

He fucking dies of stress, fat fuck probably had a heart attack after running up and down the hills of south-central Italy trying to evade my tireless band of psychopathic Norsemen.

Good riddance, hopefully the next Pope proves more entertaining.

Hmm... Lets see how many Popes I can kill in a row :P
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119324 on: March 15, 2017, 09:02:44 am »

One of my friends just bought No Man's Sky.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister
Pages: 1 ... 7953 7954 [7955] 7956 7957 ... 11037