Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7949 7950 [7951] 7952 7953 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14512220 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #119250 on: March 13, 2017, 02:56:27 pm »

Men do this to each other, women do this to each other. Whoever thinks they know more in a situation explains things in a degrading manner to whoever they believe doesn't understand everything. The internet is like a condensed essence of degrading explanation dispenser, we all get to degrade each other on a daily basis. How is this new?

Oh! Can I report my brother for explaining cars to me in a degrading manner, because I totally dont understand shit about cars. really, I can change the tires, brakes, and fluids, not much else. He worked as an automotive mechanic for several years.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 02:58:33 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119251 on: March 13, 2017, 03:00:13 pm »

I can change the tires, brakes, and fluids, not much else.
That's already more than I can do.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119252 on: March 13, 2017, 03:02:03 pm »

What is kind of odd is that this feels like an annoying "Men tends to" being elevated to sexism... because it is annoying.

Like those websites where they tell the horror of men giving advice when a woman vents to them (A thing men have a tendency to do, at least according to those sites) but elevated to full blown sexism...

Because apparently... Men being different from women and thus that creating communication issues is sexism... because as we all know, hating on people for the way they are born is the true way to tolerance.

Wait a second...

---

I mean don't get me wrong. I can imagine just wanted to be comforted and/or understood and the person you are talking to is continuously trying to offer advice or fix it in some faction is annoying.

Yet don't dress it up as sexism.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:07:59 pm by Neonivek »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #119253 on: March 13, 2017, 03:05:53 pm »

The feminist slogan: If you can't beat them, it's because they're your wife.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119254 on: March 13, 2017, 03:06:42 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119255 on: March 13, 2017, 04:05:29 pm »

I actually take massive pride in my ability to layman-ize complicated stuff...

So my 'mansplaining' is usually crazy eager and very animated, which I think dulls the edge a bit. I haven't been reported anyway.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119256 on: March 13, 2017, 04:22:32 pm »

I'd actually noticed something pretty similar to mansplaining before I heard the term, and I'm a guy.

Or heck, maybe I'm just genderfluid.
One wheel short of a wagon

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119257 on: March 13, 2017, 04:29:08 pm »

If I could quantify my day in a mathematical formula, it would be something like this:

[Monday * (Friday the 13th)]3

Things went so badly out of whack all day. Just to give y'all an idea: until I speak to my boss tomorrow morning and get some computer glitches sorted out, the system believes that I earned zero money today. I'm not sure the system is even aware that I worked at all.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119258 on: March 13, 2017, 04:29:24 pm »

Sweden we need to talk about this phase of yours.

I feel like in a few years me having the shear audacity to exist will offend a woman somewhere.
Literally though, this is true today.  There are a lot of people with serious mental issues.  It's also amazing what cults can do to people's perception of reality.

Third wave feminism is pretty fucked up.  It's just that, while it technically came from feminism originally, it's a shame when people use it to write off the entire women's rights movement...
Not pointing fingers.  Just saying it's a loud and radical subgroup, and relatively new.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #119259 on: March 13, 2017, 04:32:46 pm »

Keyboard's broken on a school computer next to the one my friend is at. I try to swap the keyboard, that one doesn't work either. Fuck it, not doing anything important, we onscreen keyboard now.

I'm surprisingly not bothered. It's not as slow as I imagined, although my wrist already hurts and the onscreen keyboard keeps crashing.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #119260 on: March 13, 2017, 04:48:49 pm »

I mean don't get me wrong. I can imagine just wanted to be comforted and/or understood and the person you are talking to is continuously trying to offer advice or fix it in some faction is annoying.

Yet don't dress it up as sexism.

See, my mother is actually really bad about this. I cant talk to her about anything without having to hear "well its not my fault!" or "I cant do anything about that!" It's infuriating sometimes.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #119261 on: March 13, 2017, 05:08:32 pm »

I feel we need some sort of superhero, like, Splain-Man or something like that who has the power of flight and explanation/exposition, ideally played by Morgan Freeman in a long-running franchise of films about him explaining problems away.

Edit:

Something just hit me, we need a subcategory, Dadsplaining, where the person in question desperately needs to prove their knowledge/relevance for a given situation by explaining it, in excrutiating and pointless detail, wether it was asked or neccessary or not. The kind that makes you internally punch walls because you can't do it externally because that shit hurts as fuck and you need your hands nice and functional.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 05:11:18 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #119262 on: March 13, 2017, 05:11:16 pm »

Would watch. Please do. Call it Splain-Freeman.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119263 on: March 13, 2017, 06:01:56 pm »

Something just hit me, we need a subcategory, Dadsplaining, where the person in question desperately needs to prove their knowledge/relevance for a given situation by explaining it, in excrutiating and pointless detail, wether it was asked or neccessary or not. The kind that makes you internally punch walls because you can't do it externally because that shit hurts as fuck and you need your hands nice and functional.
Dad-splaining is too specific a name. I know a guy like that - in principle he's okay, but this is one of his glaring flaws. My current theory is that it comes from a strange mixture of a chronic inferiority complex, blindness for social norms, and quite possibly an undiagnosed case of ADS.

It's a shame there's no good way of telling him to go see a doc without telling him that I really don't like him all that much...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119264 on: March 13, 2017, 06:22:08 pm »

I actually take massive pride in my ability to layman-ize complicated stuff...

So my 'mansplaining' is usually crazy eager and very animated, which I think dulls the edge a bit. I haven't been reported anyway.

Oh, so that's what mansplaining is. Trying to speak in extremely dumbed-down terms for the other person to understand? I do that all the time, to any gender. It's not because I'm a guy, it's because everyone around me is a flipping idiot, regardless of gender.

Speaking of, I walked out of the room earlier because my stepdad and his brother were talking about how he refuses to eat spaghetti made from durum wheat, how poisonous sugar and wheat are, and how he should probably up his Vitamin A intake because he spends all day inside.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 7949 7950 [7951] 7952 7953 ... 11037