Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7931 7932 [7933] 7934 7935 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14504133 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #118980 on: March 05, 2017, 09:53:46 pm »

Mind you, it doesn't actually disprove said theories, exactly. There's plenty of reasons (*coughcorruptioncough*) something that doesn't really work could be being developed.
Well yeah, but then said conspiracy theories would need to presuppose that Putin is an agent of the West and is planning to sell us all to Americans, and those are way too silly to be real.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #118981 on: March 05, 2017, 10:24:03 pm »

Eh? Nah, dosh related stuff just takes someone getting some porkbarrel on a ineffective project. No need for foreigner related malfeasance, just good ol' fashion arms industry corruption. Not like that's the only possible reason, mind. Misdirection, testing platform for some other bit(s) of technology, R&D with intent to get working whatever in later, buncha' crap. Going ahead with a project ain't enough on its own to prove some part of it works, basically. Definitely a potential point of evidence for proving that, but not sufficient on its own. Probably not necessary, either, really.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #118982 on: March 05, 2017, 10:47:50 pm »

Take a look at the line just below the website's title.

Fake news? This website is telling it like it is in a single sentence!

(Not literally, though, that would make democracy a literal phoenix)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #118983 on: March 05, 2017, 11:16:25 pm »

Any language you don't understand is going to look like a jumble of random letters.
Dohohohoho :3 Reminds me of helping others in Tagalog/Filipino. Given our language, it's organized in a way that the verb is often positioned earlier than the noun, but given that many folks in the Philippines are at least bilingual, it's somewhat...nice to think about what you said as a refreshing realization.

That and we have a long list of 'Engrish' from 'direct translation' fun. :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #118984 on: March 06, 2017, 12:26:11 am »

...those are way too silly to be real.
I don't think "too silly" is an argument against being real at this point in time.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #118985 on: March 06, 2017, 12:30:44 am »

I just realized that the English word for "scream" is literally cream with an s in front of it.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #118986 on: March 06, 2017, 12:38:12 am »

I want to know what forced you to come to this realization.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118987 on: March 06, 2017, 12:42:18 am »

I think I've come up with a system.

Ok in order to write a negative review on Steam...

-1) you need to have more than 30 hours of gametime... but less than 50.
-2) You must basically love the game
-3) Your issues with the game must match what everyone else thinks about the game.

Perfect! There... isn't that a much better system then people giving their honest opinions?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #118988 on: March 06, 2017, 01:13:18 am »

Russian 'да' means "I agree with what you say, you are right", Russian 'нет' means "I disagree with what you say, you are wrong", while English 'yes' means "What you say reflects the actual state of things" and English 'no' means "What you say does not reflect the actual state of things." On the surface, there may seem to be no difference between the approaches of the two languages, but, actually, that is not so. In Russian, if I ask you, "Ты его не знаешь?" and you answer "Да." it means you do not know the person. But in English, if I ask you, "Don't you know him?" your "Yes" answer would mean you do know the person. Am I right? In Russian one can say "Да, я его не знаю," but in English one cannot say, "Yes, I don't know him," one has to say, "No, I don't know him." This means sometimes Russian 'да' is translated to English as 'yes', but sometimes, when it is the confirmation of a negation, as 'no.'
what
the
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
This is why when speaking on a military radio, you're expected to say 'affirmative' or 'negative' instead of 'yes' or 'no'. Not only do the longer words help get through static, they have very specific definitions.

Apropos, Finnish also has a piece of this fun. "Tuo ei kyllä ole totta" means literally "That is not yes true." Somehow, the language has a form where both the positive word and the negative word are in the same sentence, and nobody is confused what it means, that being a slightly more polite 'no'. A more accurate translation could be "That doth not be true" which sounds archaic in English but similarly has a positive and a negative word for the same action.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #118989 on: March 06, 2017, 01:28:07 am »

I think I've come up with a system.

Ok in order to write a negative review on Steam...

-1) you need to have more than 30 hours of gametime... but less than 50.
-2) You must basically love the game
-3) Your issues with the game must match what everyone else thinks about the game.

Perfect! There... isn't that a much better system then people giving their honest opinions?
But how will we know what everyone else has a problem with before someone posts? Someone has to speak for there to be an echo.

I just realized that the English word for "scream" is literally cream with an s in front of it.
I have so many realizations for you.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 01:29:38 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118990 on: March 06, 2017, 01:29:25 am »

Clearly someone who plays the game will need to read other positive reviews and forum posts in order to become well versed in how great the game they unfairly dislike is.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118991 on: March 06, 2017, 01:29:43 am »

Did you get in trouble for slamming a game again... again?

Maybe it's just that your writing style comes across as overly aggressive or something.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118992 on: March 06, 2017, 01:30:46 am »

Oddly enough Tack... No :P

Just collecting my long experience of watching how people treat the validity of negative or "Faintly positive" reviews.

Oddly enough what sparked this was a video I watched about negative reviews of an anime. When I watched what the criteria for those critiques were I noticed how much of a double standard there was... spoken outloud without any hint of irony.

For an example the criteria was
-1) All negative reviews need to be original
-2) All negative reviews must not have dissonance of any kind.
-3) All negative reviews must be completely airtight and long winded arguments that are essentially a ten page essay on the topic

So I was like "Wait a minute... Yeah people seem to unfairly criticize reviews that are opposing the popular opinion.". None of this criteria, of course, was required for positive reviews of said anime.

So I am kind of collecting the little things that people use to put down reviews as well as making a semi-parody (semi because... yeah as ridiculous as it is... that IS the standard) of what needs to be there to be validated.

People want reviews to be a echo machine. "A Good review is one that echoes your opinions, not one that expresses their opinion."

It is kind of why Rotten Tomatoes is so hilarious. Imagine if people actually were forced to write reviews instead of saying "I don't like this popular movie"... they'd be lynched... and people STILL complain about Rotten Tomatoes scores.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 01:38:46 am by Neonivek »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118993 on: March 06, 2017, 01:42:53 am »

I dunno... I only tend to trawl reviews if I'm undecided about a game... at which point I'm equally happy to be swayed by either side.
Plus everything is subjective.

But I suppose if someone made a review shredding one punch man, I'd have to assume they were just setting bait.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118994 on: March 06, 2017, 01:47:29 am »

But I suppose if someone made a review shredding one punch man, I'd have to assume they were just setting bait.

Which is sort of where the double standard comes in. You will then scour his words to see if his arguments fit to some sort of empirical truth... whether you realize it or not. Suddenly a negative review is held up to a different standard.

This is of course ignoring that most annoying part about Steam reviews which is: People who own the game troll around the review section to put down reviews that don't agree with their POV.

Don't get me wrong... People who own the game making sure the reviews are honest or free from critical mistakes... can be admiral. Though goodness most of the time it is just "This game is amazing! you are just biased! This review is the most unhelpful pile of goo ever!"

---

Which is funny because a LOT of people do not like One Punch Man... and... for good reason. The main source of comedy in the show is anti-climax and blueballing (I wish I knew a better term for that).

If that isn't funny to you, then yeah... the show is excruciating.

Well Anti-Climax, Blueballing, intentional sucking, and being intentionally boring... along other things... The show is a very ironic show.

But if they go "I don't like One Punch man because the fights are always one sided and they always take forever to actually do it!". They will get tackled.

But a positive review can totally just go "I like it because the fights are cool" and get a pass.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 01:49:25 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 7931 7932 [7933] 7934 7935 ... 11037