Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7927 7928 [7929] 7930 7931 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14504503 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #118920 on: March 04, 2017, 12:24:07 pm »

3 out of the 5 history classes I took in middle and high school were explicitly American history classes. I don't think I had to analyze a primary source in any of them until my 11th grade American history class (at which point we read the autobiography of Frederick Douglass, which was really good, if I might so add.)

My biggest issue was that they were really poorly structured. In the two-year world history class I took, we spent just as much (maybe more) time covering the Neolithic Revolution as we did the entire Middle Ages.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118921 on: March 04, 2017, 01:17:44 pm »

I find it weird that I described Steven Universe as a bad anime (in terms of structure) but... it oddly fits.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118922 on: March 04, 2017, 01:50:02 pm »

3 out of the 5 history classes I took in middle and high school were explicitly American history classes. I don't think I had to analyze a primary source in any of them until my 11th grade American history class (at which point we read the autobiography of Frederick Douglass, which was really good, if I might so add.)

My biggest issue was that they were really poorly structured. In the two-year world history class I took, we spent just as much (maybe more) time covering the Neolithic Revolution as we did the entire Middle Ages.
out of interest what exactly did you learn about the neolithic revolution?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #118923 on: March 04, 2017, 02:18:32 pm »

Most of my memories of history class are incredibly vague, but from what I can remember
Spoiler: Topics by grade (click to show/hide)
It's FEF, not FEOF

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #118924 on: March 04, 2017, 02:50:07 pm »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #118925 on: March 04, 2017, 02:56:07 pm »

I think it's a little fucked up how well structured my Texas history class was in middle school, compared to the state of my other history classes.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118926 on: March 04, 2017, 04:03:44 pm »

I'm getting sick of all my childhood favorites being "revamped."

Spiderman Jesus.... Really? I'd ask how many times they can redo the same story except they'd be encouraged to again.

It can be done right, especially after you crap out a turd like 2009 "Weapon X no mouth" deadpool.

You can do something right if you actually know what the hell you're doing. Deadpool

And just like in the first screw up deadpool where they took the "merc with a mouth" and surgically closed it forever, the new Logan is pure crap that will hopefully be forgotten and fan retconned out of existence.

Spoiler for "Logan" ending.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 04:14:40 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118927 on: March 04, 2017, 04:14:27 pm »

Your spoiler is pointless if you then proceed to complain about what happens right afterwards. Thanks for that. It doesn't take a genius to connect the dots, even if you're talking about it generally.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118928 on: March 04, 2017, 04:15:01 pm »

Fixed. It was a misplaced tag. I actually am sorry about that part.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #118930 on: March 04, 2017, 05:04:05 pm »

out of interest what exactly did you learn about the neolithic revolution?
"People went from hunter-gatherer societies to settled agricultural ones. This allowed day-to-day life to become stable enough for early nations to arise in the Middle East and India." Admittedly, it's been a while, so I've forgotten the exact details of what was taught in the class, but they spent forever drilling this into our heads. When we got to the Middle Ages, they spent a couple weeks telling us over and over what feudalism was in Europe and Japan before we moved on to the Renaissance, and I think we might have spent a day or two reading about Charlemagne without really talking about what exactly he did. Oh, and we watched half an hour of a documentary about the Anglo-Saxon invasion of Britain.

What was really weird was that although the class was clearly made for the specific purpose of helping us pass the standardized test administrated at the end of the year, we also spent like 3 or 4 classes watching a documentary on Mansa Musa, who, although fascinating, never actually came up on the test and had rarely, if ever, been on it in the past.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118931 on: March 04, 2017, 05:19:58 pm »

I pay attention. Is bullcrap. Is what I am hating about it. Is completely against comic sources. See also, is bullcrap. Screw movie. Screw explicit point.

I pay attention to movie. Movie no pay attention to comic.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 05:23:09 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #118932 on: March 04, 2017, 05:25:18 pm »

I pay attention. Is bullcrap. Is what I am hating about it. Is completely against comic sources. See also, is bullcrap. Screw movie.

I pay attention to movie. Movie no pay attention to comic.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's FEF, not FEOF

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118933 on: March 04, 2017, 05:38:00 pm »

In year 7, learnt some random crap about Vikings and Egyptians, was pretty fun.

Hmm, Vikings vs Egyptians, that would awes-

Oh wait, Age of Mythology, hell yes.
I've never actually played Age of Mythology although I used to watch my brother play it. He left the disc when he moved out, maybe I should give it a go.

I'll probably learn more history than school could ever get me to remember.

...If it's a CD install like mine is, it's two discs.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118934 on: March 04, 2017, 05:39:44 pm »

Goodness... I admit Norse versus Egypt would be interesting.

There are soo many things wrong with that concept... But it would be interesting.

So what century Norland and what century Egypt?

Edit: Ahh the Norse lived in Scandanavia (Not Norweegia apparently)
Pages: 1 ... 7927 7928 [7929] 7930 7931 ... 11037