Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7926 7927 [7928] 7929 7930 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14504116 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #118905 on: March 04, 2017, 02:41:38 am »

And in Poland you get a basic rundown of history from the beggining of man to modern times in 1-6, special focus on Poland 7-9, and holyshitfuckeverything later on. Including whole history of basically every relevant country, like America, Russia, Germany, so on.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #118906 on: March 04, 2017, 03:12:03 am »

In Russia, AFAIK, there are two separate history courses (both of which are taught to everyone, unless they've fucked that up in the recent education reform) - Universal and Domestic. International one starts from Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, then Medieval Europe, the Age of Discovery, and up to modern times. Domestic one is all about Russia, from the Kiev "inviting" vikings to rule them and the forward through the Mongols, the Empire period and to modern times, again.

I'm not all too qualified to say how it goes in normal schools, though, because most of the time I was on domestic education, and for the rest of it I was in a Lyceum, which is like high-intensity school. Most of the stuff I've learned from laaaaarge encyclopaedias "for children", massive tomes describing almost literally everything, with many sub-article on interesting trivia details, and lots of other more specialized books, like a book that was all about the development of artillery in the world, with lots of highly detailed pictures describing their construction, from the earliest ones and later on, or a book about development of fortifications in Russia, with about same detalization. Or a book about tanks.

I don't think many people in Russia have had the fortune to read so much stuff, to be honest.
._.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #118907 on: March 04, 2017, 05:28:43 am »

When I went through school, history class was basically this:

Grade 1: Pilgrim-related crafts for Thanksgiving
Grade 2: Basic overview of the branches of government
Grade 3: Mayflower through American Revolution, very basic version
Grade 4: Worship of the North American Indian, and how they are superior to Europeans in every way
Grade 5: Mayflower through American Revolution, basic version
Grade 6: Mayflower through Civil War, very basic version
Grade 7: What is a government
Grade 8: What sort of government do we have (first semester), Why guns are pure distilled evil (second semester)
Grade 9: Ancient Egypt
Grade 10: Ancient Egypt
Grade 11: American Civil War
Grade 12: None. Replaced with introductory Psychology and Sociology

That sounds very, very tedious. Such a narrow focus.

I can't really remember what I did in primary school, though I think it involved a bit on Egypt, but I remember doing the Norman Invasion, a bit of local history (Clans, 1916), History of Medicine, Nazi Germany, and some other stuff I can't recall until GCSE level(possibly can't recall because I moved school, and they didn't give me a teacher for History, so I had library periods where I...emmm..."Self taught" and totally didn't read fantasy books from the shelves). Then, for A levels, two years on Tudor history, which I enjoyed, though some were chafing at the amount of time spent on it. At university level, I only do half a history course, but so far I've done the Viking Age + its culture, Revolution in Early Modern Europe, Bede's World (my favourite so far), Ancient Greece and Macedon, Invective in Ancient Greece and Rome, and The Russian Revolution + Holocaust + Jesus (that was a broad module).
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118908 on: March 04, 2017, 05:37:57 am »

I can't even fucking remember what we did for history class most of my life.

...Neither can I. The only things I can distinctly remember were doing a (probably inaccurate, in hindsight) report on Iran in 5th(?) grade, and drawing a map of the world on a blank paper, which I think I got a B on. Which, considering both my knowledge of the world at the time, and my ability to draw, that's much more than I had any reason to expect.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118909 on: March 04, 2017, 06:29:02 am »

I don't think I even got history class until year 7 and 8.

In year 7, learnt some random crap about Vikings and Egyptians, was pretty fun.

Year 8 was the World Wars. I don't remember a thing I learned.

Afterwards it was gone, I don't miss it to be honest.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118910 on: March 04, 2017, 06:31:46 am »

Hmm, Vikings vs Egyptians, that would awes-

Oh wait, Age of Mythology, hell yes.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118911 on: March 04, 2017, 06:37:36 am »

Hmm, Vikings vs Egyptians, that would awes-

Oh wait, Age of Mythology, hell yes.
I've never actually played Age of Mythology although I used to watch my brother play it. He left the disc when he moved out, maybe I should give it a go.

I'll probably learn more history than school could ever get me to remember.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #118912 on: March 04, 2017, 07:58:59 am »

I recommend Hearts of Iron for learning geography.
._.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #118913 on: March 04, 2017, 08:13:25 am »

I don't *COUGH* for mechanics accuracy.
The Philippines is ALWAYS the puppet of the USA :V [/hiss]

I've never actually played Age of Mythology although I used to watch my brother play it. He left the disc when he moved out, maybe I should give it a go.

I'll probably learn more history than school could ever get me to remember.
You'll be living with real mythology units and watching soldiers getting flung around like ragdolls because a hero hit them with his shield. :P

But it does help in a way--I am however REALLY CURIOUS about how education is in America now thanks to Frumple. o_O

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #118914 on: March 04, 2017, 08:24:12 am »

At least, if you don't live in Asia. Then you might think that the United Kingdom and France are asian countries.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #118915 on: March 04, 2017, 08:37:58 am »

But it does help in a way--I am however REALLY CURIOUS about how education is in America now thanks to Frumple. o_O
It's all over the place, and often some combination of underfunded, undermanned, insufficiently supported (in terms of both support staff and assistance from/integration with other things, like local businesses/nonprofits/etc.), poorly organised, overstressed by student capacity, and shat on by some significant if not necessarily large chunk of the population, all while probably being some degree of fucked over by politicians mandating regulations or standards when said politicians know less than nothing about how education does or should work, and either refuse to listen to people that do or are listening to people who are actively trying to destroy our (particularly public) school systems for reasons ideological or fiscal. It's a friggin' mess. There's a lot of people out there basically working miracles to get things to work as well as they do, and even then there's more than a few schools or districts that are effectively written off, places where no one expects any graduate to come out of it being even remotely educated and where sizeable amounts of the student body don't graduate at all.

The US is bloody huge, we don't like taxation, we don't like effective or efficient governance in many places, and there's long been a very significant anti-intellectual sentiment all over it, on top of a thousand other issues and an issue. Means that education quality is pretty inconsistent, and can very easily get very, very bad. Pretty excellent in some locations, too, but it's a crap shoot, and even the in between that make up the majority have subjects we're just kinda' poor at on the whole. History and geography -- most things that have to do with other countries, really, particularly if it's much in the way of flattering for them or unflattering for the states -- would be a couple of them.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #118916 on: March 04, 2017, 09:42:42 am »

Victoria II FTW (basically the same [same developer], but the timeframe is 1836 - 1936)
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118917 on: March 04, 2017, 09:51:23 am »

from what i remember of history class in high school we covered a bunch of stuff on American history then moved on to pretty basic overviews of a variety of ancient civilizations around the world especially china. i do also distinctly recall badly failing a geography test in middle school where i had to name all the countries on a map. now days i would ace such a thing super fast. frankly i don't remember much but then again i have overwritten it with years of college level history, thousands of hours of history podcasts and paradox games. I'm more of a ancient history person though and my knowledge gets fuzzy around the industrial revolution for non large events. pretty much non of my knowledge came from normal school history class.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #118918 on: March 04, 2017, 09:52:29 am »

Why the hell do you have discussions pertaining to my interests while I'm asleep.

At any rate, history education in Brazil used to be (I forgot what grades had what, but this is more or less the order):
-Neolithic + Classic + Medieval History. Except pretty much every historian here wants to study either Imperial Brazil or WW2, so they just pick up some history book, written by someone who also doesn't care about any time period that is not 19th century+, and regurgitate its contents. I remember one bit where burgs were explained as people running from cities and fields in terror from the barbarians and creating burgs to hide. Makes me want to punch whomever wrote that in the face.
-Very skewed and idealized version of more middle ages + renaissance, exaggerating shit like witch hunts (which only happened after the cathars and protestants were a thing).
-Portuguese history. Actually very detailed, but still idealized and leaving out details like Sebastianism (D. Sebastian died in a battle in 1578 and his body was never found, popular myth in Portugal and Brazil says he's just in hiding and will return to save us all) and the Iberian Union.
-Napoleonic Wars. Detailed to some extent, but focuses mostly on the relocation of the Portuguese court to Brazil.
-Imperial Brazil. Also two or three classes are dedicated to US and Haiti.
-Republican Brazil + World Wars + Cold War.

Back at the top of this post, you may have notice I said "used to be". That's because the current government wants to reform education (it does need to be reformed, but not like this) in the most imbecilic way possible. What they want is this: you learn portuguese. You learn math. At the very end of the education cycle, you choose (you can also not choose) to learn: A) a few trade skills. B) chemistry and physics. C) history and geography.

And people wonder why pretty much all teachers bar a few imbeciles (the people who drafted this abomination) are up in arms. And then we have assholes who act like teachers are communist pedophiles and encourage parents to sue teachers for no reason (because if you ask for a value below a certain limit, you don't have to pay the legal fees) to bankrupt them.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118919 on: March 04, 2017, 10:42:45 am »

History classes in the U.S. tend to just be a case of memorizing things from your history book and maybe the occasional project\essay. Also, pilgrims. Pilgrims. Pilgrims. Pilgrims. Did you know it was pilgrims* that came to America first and that they had a feast with the Indians? You better!

Ideally (at least for me) instead of using textbooks history classes would instead consist of reading (auto)biographies\historical novels on figures with the teacher filling in whatever is left out instead of just memorizing key dates and words from a textbook and/or whatever random thing the teacher decides to focus on. Somehow doubt a change that significant will happen anytime soon though, history IS the least important subject in a student's education after all. Graphs are a much more scholarly and useful skill for the future generation to pursue.

*Sucks to your achievements vikings!
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence
Pages: 1 ... 7926 7927 [7928] 7929 7930 ... 11037