Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7924 7925 [7926] 7927 7928 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14504158 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #118875 on: March 03, 2017, 08:48:06 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-m9A8mY-U0

hundred year old color video, really weird feeling to watch it, they all have no idea whats coming. also that weird feeling when i realize i can read all the German comments and understand what they are saying.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:52:41 pm by redwallzyl »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118876 on: March 03, 2017, 09:16:16 pm »

Ok I know that society is growing increasingly anti-union and even the government is.

But... the issue with anti-union is...

What better way is there to ensure worker rights than unions? Sure some jobs specifically cannot have unions and cannot strike, but those often come with a system specifically in place to mediate between the workers and employer and can supersede the employer's desires if the worker's demands are fair.

But absolutely NO business would ever allow something like that to fall into place.

---

So... is it that people just kind of forgot what things were like before unions? or don't know what crud holes some jobs without unions or that are anti-union are like?

Yeah Corrupt Unions and ones that power trip are terrible... but I am not sure if I consider them worse than not being able to enforce your rights as a employee.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #118877 on: March 03, 2017, 09:27:44 pm »

What better way is there to ensure worker rights than unions? Sure some jobs specifically cannot have unions and cannot strike, but those often come with a system specifically in place to mediate between the workers and employer and can supersede the employer's desires if the worker's demands are fair.

But absolutely NO business would ever allow something like that to fall into place.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worker_cooperative

One of them is the third largest company by sales in UK.

seize the means of production
._.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118878 on: March 03, 2017, 10:10:24 pm »

hundred year old color video, really weird feeling to watch it, they all have no idea whats coming. also that weird feeling when i realize i can read all the German comments and understand what they are saying.
It was a little hard to watch the really small kids and think that they'd all be in their late teens and early twenties in 1914.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118879 on: March 03, 2017, 10:20:04 pm »

It was a little hard to watch the really small kids and think that they'd all be in their late teens and early twenties in 1914.
they had some sweet mini cars though. good while it lasted i guess.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #118880 on: March 03, 2017, 10:32:58 pm »

Ok I know that society is growing increasingly anti-union and even the government is.

But... the issue with anti-union is...

---

So... is it that people just kind of forgot what things were like before unions? or don't know what crud holes some jobs without unions or that are anti-union are like?

Yeah Corrupt Unions and ones that power trip are terrible... but I am not sure if I consider them worse than not being able to enforce your rights as a employee.

There are many reasons. Some folks buy into the horror stories of "untouchable" workers that do not contribute to (or actively harm) the company they are working at. Others just see the higher wages and benefits and denounce them as extortion, believing that anybody worth such wages should be able to demand them on their own rather than "ganging up". Still others honestly think that the unions are still closely affiliated with organized crime (this was once quite true, as there was a symbiotic flow of muscle, cash, and influence between the two groups back when the labor fight bordered on open warfare) and dismiss union actions as legalized extortion. Simply put, they underestimate the power differential between employer and employee.

For the most part, people don't comprehend just how bad it was before unions, while a great many of those that do believe that modern publicity, or the rise of regulative bodies such as OSHA (there is significant overlap between the anti-union and anti-regulation crowd, but the two are not perfectly aligned), will keep such things in check. There are a great many people who laud what unions did in the past, but believe that they are now dinosaurs that no longer serve a useful purpose.

It should also be kept in mind that a lot of anti-union folk haven't worked in a blue-collar job in many years, having had the drive, ambition, or social savvy to become foremen and supervisors fairly early on. A significant percentage never did the grunt work, and used connections to start at the bottom of the management track. The first group sees their early work through sepia-toned nostalgia, while the latter has no experiential frame of reference.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #118881 on: March 03, 2017, 10:34:06 pm »

having seen things like these before, it's both beautiful and very thought moving.

Although my WTF are how many comments about Americans (from and to) and their vision on Europe and history. :S I mean...wha? Isn't a first world country's education just as much as what we've got here? It seems to have painted Europe as an unrealistically horrible (and lesser) place ._.

But back in the video--I'm real glad about people working for things like these. History is very amazing.
I love how people connect with each other, then and now.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #118882 on: March 03, 2017, 10:40:42 pm »

Stateside history education is perhaps not the most stellar among the developed countries, tiru. Depending on the subject and school/region of the country, it can actually start leaning in the direction of what's charitably called "shit".
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118883 on: March 03, 2017, 10:43:42 pm »

Especially when it comes to other countries. I bet you you'd be hard-pressed to find an average American that knows that America controlled the Philippines for a while, for example. Or that Germany (and Berlin) was not immediately divided into 2 in 1945. Or how long that wall took to actually go up, counting from 1945.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118884 on: March 04, 2017, 12:00:05 am »

Ok I normally would do two WTF back to back like this (PFT, ok I have)

But watching a movie on the Jetsons and...

OMG... are there... racial variants of the characters in the background? I see like several Mrs. Spacely and Sam... Sometimes even side by side.

THIS IS SOOO WEIRD! it would be like watching someone make a Captain Planet movie today... make it accurate to the source material (to... an... extent)... and in the background you can see Asian Linka giving a high five to Black Linka... while White Maati looks on in bewilderment.

It is soo distracting!

---

Edit: WAIT WHAT!?! There is a Crossover movie/Show with Scooby Doo meets the Cars universe?

What the heck!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 12:07:33 am by Neonivek »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118885 on: March 04, 2017, 12:14:21 am »

Stateside history education is perhaps not the most stellar among the developed countries, tiru. Depending on the subject and school/region of the country, it can actually start leaning in the direction of what's charitably called "shit".
Yeah, it's rather shit.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118886 on: March 04, 2017, 12:18:52 am »

Yeah, it's rather shit.

Isn't that because America strongly believes in grand narrative history and defends revisionist history in general, especially to foster American ideals and traditions?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118887 on: March 04, 2017, 12:21:39 am »

Possibly?  I wouldn't know.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #118888 on: March 04, 2017, 12:22:51 am »

Horizon Zero Dawn is PS4 exclusive.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck ;_____________;
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #118889 on: March 04, 2017, 12:27:55 am »

Yeah, it's rather shit.

Isn't that because America strongly believes in grand narrative history and defends revisionist history in general, especially to foster American ideals and traditions?

More because pretty much all K-12 education is hyperfocused on standardized testing, because that's what dictates funding for the most part. You teach the test, and the test (regardless of what it is) is predominantly basic U.S. history.

Once you get to post-secondary things start picking up. Had a prof in my undergraduate work who spent most of a semester talking about what happened to Eastern Europe during WWII (or rather, what was done to it by the Nazis and Soviets as they came through in turn) in a WWII course, for example.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 7924 7925 [7926] 7927 7928 ... 11037