Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7906 7907 [7908] 7909 7910 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14504526 times)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #118605 on: February 24, 2017, 11:09:48 am »

Shame should then be counterbalanced by it's positive, pride. Not pride in the biblical, haughtier and holier than thou sort of way, but to know that what you're doing is right and feeling like you can say yes, that happened. And it was good for all.

Unlce Iroh taught me something along these lines:

"Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source. True humility is the only antidote to shame."

Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #118606 on: February 24, 2017, 11:35:45 am »

Shame should then be counterbalanced by it's positive, pride. Not pride in the biblical, haughtier and holier than thou sort of way, but to know that what you're doing is right and feeling like you can say yes, that happened. And it was good for all.

Unlce Iroh taught me something along these lines:

"Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source. True humility is the only antidote to shame."

Goodness yes! ._.; I really loved how AtLA and LoK were able to bring in that kind of wisdom alongside the humor and fun of an animated show.

Although I wonder nowadays why there's a ton more focus on CGI shows >_> There's this kind of awesomeness to 2D animation that I feel is lacking nowadays. Really miss watching animated ones. :-\ [unless there's somehow a way to make CGI animation instead, that isn't 3D <_< which...has pretty much happened a lot in 2D but my point is along the simpler idea of '2D art animation']

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #118607 on: February 24, 2017, 11:41:06 am »

Oh no. "Romans" he says. How terrible.
Romans were dank and a credit to civilization, doesn't mean one must do as the Romans and reenact the aristocrats

I can think of a number of reasons meth-fueled orgies for days on end are bad ideas other than shame

Also shame culture vs. guilt culture.
Shame is not a reason why something is bad, it is a feeling one feels upon committing a bad act. I get the point where feeling shame for things that are not immoral is coming from, I agree with that, I'm just disagreeing with the hedonistic principle that is inimical to shame in its entirety. One has chemsex orgies because they are shameless

Except when people don't come out of the closet because they're ashamed to be gay or commit suicide because they're ashamed of their PTSD.
Powerful force but not always a positive one.
Mental illnesses in particular, as well as physical illnesses to a lesser extent, but yeah you do get a lot of cases where people refuse treatment because they're ashamed of social stigma. Depression in particular, men are very ashamed of admitting to needing help, so they usually just kill themselves. Hardly a good reason to excise the emotion of shame, when it is not the emotional response at fault, rather, the expectation that the circumstance warrants shame

Goodness yes! ._.; I really loved how AtLA and LoK were able to bring in that kind of wisdom alongside the humor and fun of an animated show.
Legend of Korra was shit and didn't have anywhere near the philosophy of the LA, which was funny cos the former certainly had older characters and more allusions to more modern analogues so you would've thought ey, they'll go deeper. But nah, and it's sad to find out how their corporate execs strangled LoK to death, ensuring it was a complete mess
AtLA is pretty juicy though. A rare gem

Although I wonder nowadays why there's a ton more focus on CGI shows >_>
Cos its cheaper and they don't teach draftsmanship to future animators anymore

There's this kind of awesomeness to 2D animation that I feel is lacking nowadays. Really miss watching animated ones. :-\ [unless there's somehow a way to make CGI animation instead, that isn't 3D <_< which...has pretty much happened a lot in 2D but my point is along the simpler idea of '2D art animation']
You gonna get dreamworks smiled

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #118608 on: February 24, 2017, 11:43:26 am »

As much as I love Uncle Iroh, pride is awesome in CKII, cuz it gives you a bonus to prestige. So I'll keep trying making my characters into crazy, deceitful, baby-torturing fiends. Also, good is boring.

As for my WTF:
I installed Titanium Wars mod for Dark Crusade and was surprised that Imperial Guard wrecked me as a Chaos. IG is pretty weak in vanilla, but they're competent in the mod.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #118609 on: February 24, 2017, 12:09:21 pm »

Aha! I think we've hit the truth of the matter on the whole shame/humility/pride thing. I would say more, but Comrade P. and Tiruin have mostly said anything I might have.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #118610 on: February 24, 2017, 01:13:56 pm »

I find myself unable to use images on the forum anymore. I don't know what it is, but links to-from image hosting sites don't seem to work like they used to. Has something changed? Is there something else I need to do to use images?
Make sure the images have their file extensions (is that even the correct term) in the link. so img [...]whatever.png /img
Thanks! I'll try and hope that that works.

What was the one particular selfish exception like though?
None of your business.  :P I will say that it was with the same partner I was mentioning before, just to make sure you folk don't misunderstand what I mean.
Well thanks. I'll bear it in mind when next I'm in a position to have sex.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #118611 on: February 24, 2017, 02:27:45 pm »

So, my partner and I have rather fully developed colonies in Rimworld.

In hers the colony is one giant house, powered by a mixture of solar and geothermal energy. They grow cotton and make clothing as their primary export. Individuals are carefully weaned off drug addictions, with the exception of a little bit of recreational smokeweed now and again. Happiness is maintained through beauty and recreation. Invaders to the colony are rebuffed by auto-turrets and a few skilled defenders, but any wounded attacker is treated with the best medicine and re-educated with every attempt made to convert them to the colony's peaceful, agrarian lifestyle.

In my colony, each distinct structure is air-gapped and we run on a mixture of geothermal and wood-burning generators. Our primary exports are self produced beer, smokeweed blunts, and a few potent narcotics derived from the psychoid plant. Colonists with low mood are required to smoke weed everyday, and the less devastating narcotics we produce are open to sampling. 50% of the colonists have some form of addiction to these substances. We produce bionics, and gradually replace the limbs and organs of our citizens with improved hardware. Invaders are welcome. Our defenses are impenetrable, and we provide false cover lined with explosive IEDs. Any wounded are taken to the prison and treated. Then we harvest their legs, their arms, a kidney, a lung, and finally their heart.

I'm slightly worried the psychological profiling is a bit on point.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118612 on: February 24, 2017, 02:48:48 pm »

You monster, you could be doing so much worse.

I usually let them keep their heart and release them back to their people so that they learn what happens when they fuck with me.  Tell them stories of the colony that will take their children in the night and the organ factories.

I also generally build underground.  Bugs aren't that big of a problem when you have combat realism and shotguns.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 02:50:52 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118613 on: February 24, 2017, 02:50:28 pm »

What can you do with the organs? I thought you produced bionic ones?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118614 on: February 24, 2017, 03:05:41 pm »

I sell them. Organs are my secondary export. A properly harvested prisoner is easily worth 6k. They're also useful if I really need a limb but haven't manufactured the mountain of components, steel, and plasteel needed to make an advanced bionic.

Also, it's good surgery training.

I usually let them keep their heart and release them back to their people so that they learn what happens when they fuck with me.  Tell them stories of the colony that will take their children in the night and the organ factories.

I also generally build underground.  Bugs aren't that big of a problem when you have combat realism and shotguns.

I never tried releasing people after I harvested both legs. Not sure how that would work.

Ah, one further point to the horror of my settlement. All of my people are in full hazard suits and masks.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118615 on: February 24, 2017, 03:09:47 pm »

Hah oh yea, I typically don't take legs either.  I don't recall being able to, but I may have instead just saw no value in it.  Don't actually know if they can still  travel off map without them.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #118616 on: February 24, 2017, 03:15:38 pm »

I sell them. Organs are my secondary export. A properly harvested prisoner is easily worth 6k. They're also useful if I really need a limb but haven't manufactured the mountain of components, steel, and plasteel needed to make an advanced bionic.

I never tried releasing people after I harvested both legs. Not sure how that would work.

Ah, one further point to the horror of my settlement. All of my people are in full hazard suits and masks.
How do you deal with the happiness hit from harvesting organs? Are all colonists psychopaths?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118617 on: February 24, 2017, 03:19:06 pm »

I harvest them first, THEN instead of going for the heart I sacrifice them to the Elder Gods for goodies.

Waiting eagerly for rimushima
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118618 on: February 24, 2017, 03:20:38 pm »

I harvest them first, THEN instead of going for the heart I sacrifice them to the Elder Gods for goodies.

Waiting eagerly for rimushima

I have that mod! Haven't actually started the cult thing yet, I wanted to play about with extended prosthetics and surgery first before going utterly mad.

How do you deal with the happiness hit from harvesting organs? Are all colonists psychopaths?

Nope.

We just produce a shitload of Psychoid products.

Beer, Smokeweed, Yayo, Flake, good furniture, a mega-tv you bought with harvested organs, nice furniture, a rose garden...  Morality is curiously easy to abandon in the face of utter hedonistic luxury.
---

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118619 on: February 24, 2017, 04:06:29 pm »

So, my partner and I have rather fully developed colonies in Rimworld.

In hers the colony is one giant house, powered by a mixture of solar and geothermal energy. They grow cotton and make clothing as their primary export. Individuals are carefully weaned off drug addictions, with the exception of a little bit of recreational smokeweed now and again. Happiness is maintained through beauty and recreation. Invaders to the colony are rebuffed by auto-turrets and a few skilled defenders, but any wounded attacker is treated with the best medicine and re-educated with every attempt made to convert them to the colony's peaceful, agrarian lifestyle.

In my colony, each distinct structure is air-gapped and we run on a mixture of geothermal and wood-burning generators. Our primary exports are self produced beer, smokeweed blunts, and a few potent narcotics derived from the psychoid plant. Colonists with low mood are required to smoke weed everyday, and the less devastating narcotics we produce are open to sampling. 50% of the colonists have some form of addiction to these substances. We produce bionics, and gradually replace the limbs and organs of our citizens with improved hardware. Invaders are welcome. Our defenses are impenetrable, and we provide false cover lined with explosive IEDs. Any wounded are taken to the prison and treated. Then we harvest their legs, their arms, a kidney, a lung, and finally their heart.

I'm slightly worried the psychological profiling is a bit on point.
(and following conversation)
Damn.  I was already interested in this game, I suppose now it's just a matter of when it goes on sale.

As for my WTF:
I installed Titanium Wars mod for Dark Crusade and was surprised that Imperial Guard wrecked me as a Chaos. IG is pretty weak in vanilla, but they're competent in the mod.
Nice.  I'm really not good enough at the game to judge balance (though I do enjoy it a lot), and IG tended to wreck my infantry in earlygame with grenade launcher spam, even as space marines.  But in mid-late game I can counter their infantry with melee or heavy bolters, and their vehicles (their late-game strength I presume) with the many clear anti-vehicle options like rockets or melta bombs.
I still really need to check out Ultimate Apocalypse sometime...

In actual WTF: can someone tell me what the hell is this
It makes me feel good by comparison, and also happy that people come up with such engagingly weird shit. 
Not that it deserved to be funded, by any stretch, just impressed.
Like a lot of this stuff, Retsupurae definitely made it better with their ""normie"" commentary heh.

Okay I still have a bad fever, but I have to suggest...  maybe some people get so used to living with shame, that it becomes a comforting sensation.  Maybe even a positive one.  I honestly wonder if there's a name for that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 7906 7907 [7908] 7909 7910 ... 11037