Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7895 7896 [7897] 7898 7899 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14502732 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #118440 on: February 20, 2017, 10:11:06 pm »

speaking of science fiction has anyone else read the followups to enders game? now that gets weird.
Yes.  It does.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #118441 on: February 20, 2017, 10:20:01 pm »

To be fair to it (though I don't really want to, tbh), there's quite a bit of sci-fi that gets just incredibly fucked up, and in all sorts of different ways. Lot of it you fortunately don't run into often, but there's stuff tucked away in the dark places of the genre that go places you may regret going. Seriously, try trawling through some of the voluminous short stories molding around, and see if you really still consider card's stuff all that odd. It probably is just odd, but there's few parts of the literary world that goes as far as sci-fi can and does.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:21:58 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #118442 on: February 20, 2017, 10:34:05 pm »

That's the usual problem with HFY, some neat ideas and a premise with potential overshadowed by the bad writing. Speaking of...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118443 on: February 20, 2017, 10:44:15 pm »

Kind of opposite to HFY is Peter Watts' Blindsight, anyone given that a read?
It's pretty unpleasant, but I couldn't put it down.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118444 on: February 20, 2017, 10:46:23 pm »

To be fair to it (though I don't really want to, tbh), there's quite a bit of sci-fi that gets just incredibly fucked up, and in all sorts of different ways. Lot of it you fortunately don't run into often, but there's stuff tucked away in the dark places of the genre that go places you may regret going. Seriously, try trawling through some of the voluminous short stories molding around, and see if you really still consider card's stuff all that odd. It probably is just odd, but there's few parts of the literary world that goes as far as sci-fi can and does.
i have always liked scifi but no one ever seems to make anything I'm interested in. likely because i absolutely hate distopian books. probably something to do with being an archeology student i just cant stand the thought.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118445 on: February 20, 2017, 10:52:42 pm »

Pick up some of the older stuff 2nd hand. It's normally pretty optimistic, and it's interesting to get outdated perspectives of the future (now present).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #118446 on: February 20, 2017, 11:02:37 pm »

Yeah, I don't even really know what the general things are sci-fi wise, these days, but there's definitely plenty that aren't dystopian. Definitely a lean towards stark just 'cause they tend to be space related and space is big, empty, and wants to kill you, but it's far from universal.

... just don't ask me for reqs. It's probably been half a decade since I read (or at least finished) a proper sci-fi novel that wasn't warhammer or battletech related. Well... except one of the pern lady's non-pern books I can't remember the name of and mostly remember for the non-negligible amount of interspecies relationship focus and the main female lead getting raped and knocked up. Second in the series, whatever it was. Never read the first. Keep forgetting I usually regret reading one of her books by the time I finish it.

Might have been some bolo stuff in there, too. Some of those are pretty neat, others are holy shit bleak.
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #118447 on: February 20, 2017, 11:09:59 pm »

You mean that series where they're dumped on the ag-world that secretly belongs to the high-tech aliens by the asshole conquering aliens and their slave-soldiers? And the protagonist is constantly going on about the massive size of her alien boyfriend's schlong?

Yeah, McCaffrey was already weird enough when it was just the psychic resonance sex and Clarketech genegineered dragons or the unrequited love between the deformed fetus-AI stuck in a ship and her muscle/diplomat.

3. Run Resize Enable

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118448 on: February 20, 2017, 11:12:08 pm »

Is there any sci-fi out there that isn't dystopian in some way? it seems like you're more likely to find one without weird, not well written sex scenes, then a Utopia-based one that's a actually Utopia.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #118449 on: February 20, 2017, 11:20:44 pm »

You mean that series where they're dumped on the ag-world that secretly belongs to the high-tech aliens by the asshole conquering aliens and their slave-soldiers? And the protagonist is constantly going on about the massive size of her alien boyfriend's schlong?
That sounds about right. She never really got as bad as p. anthony, least of what I read, but I definitely associate their writing pretty closely.

And sure, there definitely are, I just can't recall the ones I've read at the moment. Haven't gotten around to reading it myself, but maybe the Culture (iirc) stuff? AI superships heading a fairly utopian society, and played pretty straight on that side of things. Seem to recall it being sorta' popular-ish at one point.
Ask not!
Ask!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #118450 on: February 20, 2017, 11:24:06 pm »

See, I actually miss sci-fi that was weird. I feel like modern science fiction just puts sci-fi sounding stuff into a story that could have been told in any other setting, like Avatar or the Robocop reboot or new Star Trek. A lot of shitty awful sci-fi was weird, but so was 2001, Snow Crash, Dune, Metropolis, Evangelion and others. Even that stuff remains divisive and isn't universally well-regarded, and that's the way I liked it.

I can't think of a science fiction film for years and years that actually gave a fuck about being speculative, beyond Star Trek-tier "racism story but with aliens" metaphors. Even Star Trek doesn't bother with those anymore, they're just any old action movie with a sci-fi skin now. Ctrl-f replace "terrorists" with "aliens" and "car" with "space ship." ::)
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118451 on: February 20, 2017, 11:28:16 pm »

That's the usual problem with HFY, some neat ideas and a premise with potential overshadowed by the bad writing. Speaking of...

Dude, that was pretty good.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #118452 on: February 20, 2017, 11:35:19 pm »

See, I actually miss sci-fi that was weird. I feel like modern science fiction just puts sci-fi sounding stuff into a story that could have been told in any other setting, like Avatar or the Robocop reboot or new Star Trek. A lot of shitty awful sci-fi was weird, but so was 2001, Snow Crash, Dune, Metropolis, Evangelion and others. Even that stuff remains divisive and isn't universally well-regarded, and that's the way I liked it.
They're also all pretty tame by sci-fi weirdness standards, heh. Even 2001 and NGE. Movies are one thing, but we've been talking books, and books can get away with a whole hell of a lot movies can't.

Still, I'd give some of the later dune books gave an alright showing of things, as that goes (Space emperor god worm? Space emperor god worm.), for all a lot of people try to forget dune had any sequels. We're still getting all sorts of shit off in that direction, but the chances of any of it hitting the silver screen is basically nil.

Though I still have bouts of mild reflexive terror every time someone mentions Firefly. Goddamn anthony, goddamn publishers trying to play that thing off as sci-fi. I mean, I guess it technically was, but blegh.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:38:54 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #118453 on: February 20, 2017, 11:39:54 pm »

I was having some serious trouble comprehending things past God-Emperor, and having a blast doing so. It probably says a lot about me that Dune Messiah (AFAIK the worst-reviewed book in the series) is my favorite. :P

I have to give Brian Herbert some credit for the Butlerian Jihad books, he tried some out-there stuff in his own dumb way. Like the one robot trying to learn human emotion, so he paints a picture using a bucket of blood and gibs. Points for effort.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #118454 on: February 20, 2017, 11:47:46 pm »

Dude, that was pretty good.
TFW you see all the awkward turns of phrase and typos you missed in the first pass. :|

But yeah. Same idea of humans evolving on a deathworld, but taken in a totally different direction from what's usually done. Humans stand out in that setting because highly social behavior is an instinctive norm reinforced by biological pressures, since we had to work together to survive and develop civilization where most species got along just fine living largely solitary lives-when you're the equivalent of an apex predator in a soft world there's not much impetus to cooperate closely, either individually or as a species. You can agree and work together just fine, but you don't need to or desire such on a basic level. As it happens, that extended to music-artistic expression, somewhat predictably, remained just as much a solitary affair as anything else. You might perform for others or use ideas developed by others, but the tacit mental image of multiple performers together is of a disconnected gathering of individuals each working alone.

Naturally, that's not desirable for anyone: each musician ends up having their sound quality polluted and none of the audience get a coherent performance. Then you have humans-we're used to being parts of a greater whole, the whole idea of "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" is very alien to most sophonts, but the quality of the output is clear despite the strangeness. It's something aliens can appreciate, extrapolate from, and eventually replicate, just not something that most would ever conceive of on their own.

As an aside, it also means that aliens in that 'verse generally don't play multiplayer games much, it's all equivalents to solitaire.

Just an idle thought extrapolated to a certain degree of extremity, but that's all of HFY in a nutshell and it's fresher than the usual "humans are the big scary space monsters". Instead of that or being pets, we're fairly average in most respects but abnormally culturally rich. Influence victory, hooooo! :P

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 7895 7896 [7897] 7898 7899 ... 11037