Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7890 7891 [7892] 7893 7894 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494347 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #118365 on: February 19, 2017, 02:32:08 am »

I think I found a rap song that samples MacArthur Park (if not this version then another one) for the beat. Considering the lyrics of both songs I can see the rationale, but... MacArthur Park?

Literally next song I picked out I heard the exact same beat years and years ago in a Palestinian rap song (political content) during a social studies class.

Marvel at the connection of all things.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 02:40:29 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #118366 on: February 19, 2017, 06:32:47 am »

I think I found a rap song that samples MacArthur Park (if not this version then another one) for the beat. Considering the lyrics of both songs I can see the rationale, but... MacArthur Park?

Literally next song I picked out I heard the exact same beat years and years ago in a Palestinian rap song (political content) during a social studies class.

Marvel at the connection of all things.
That reminds me to say that i want to remix musics with different instruments and/or beats (Ice-esque Butter Building(Yep, Kirby), anyone?)
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118367 on: February 19, 2017, 07:57:33 am »

What the hell, I went looking for the motion picture discussion thread and there are a heap of them, according to the topic search I did.

Is the "Recommend a Movie" thread still the main one, or has that fallen from use?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #118368 on: February 19, 2017, 10:03:14 am »

Sooo, all this reminiscing has made me somewhat nostalgic for DF.

whats the current game look play/siege like compared to good ol' 34.11?

- are emotions still stupid out of balance?
- are sieges still weaksauce and/or nonexistent?
- are kobolds back?  ambushes?
- undead?  are they still unkillable monstrosities?
- are forts still Fun?  by means other than player-intervention?

I mean, I consider 34 to be the pinnacle of DF, but I wasnt here for 2d.  Heard that comparatively 34 was weak bags of pubs.   Its kind of how i like Civ IV the most but veterans consider III to be better but my first civ game was IV
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:06:52 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #118369 on: February 19, 2017, 11:43:52 am »

I've actually heard that IV was better. Civ III's strategy was short-circuited by the so-called "Infinite City Sprawl", where you put cities as close to each other as possible, maximizing their number, which was apparently the optimal strategy and resulted in boring gameplay. Very boring at later stages, with having to manually move hundreds of units each turn.
._.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118370 on: February 19, 2017, 11:54:57 am »

No way man 40d was the best by far.

(Although it is undeniably getting constantly better)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118371 on: February 19, 2017, 12:04:09 pm »

40d remains my favorite "generation" of Dwarf Fortress. I wasn't a huge fan of later versions' werecritters or vampires, and undead were transformed into nearly-unstoppable machines of un-fun. When the death of a single creature on the map results in its body, grasping appendages, skeleton, and friggin hair coming to life and attacking your dwarfs...I'm sure some people liked them but I hated them. Haven't tried any updates for some time.

At least adamantine and demons were made more accessible. That was nice.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #118372 on: February 19, 2017, 01:35:10 pm »

Toady One nerfed undead. They get pulped and die permanently now after they get smacked hard enough.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118373 on: February 19, 2017, 01:37:11 pm »

Toady One nerfed undead. They get pulped and die permanently now after they get smacked hard enough.
Except the hair.  You still can't hit the hair.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #118374 on: February 19, 2017, 01:37:27 pm »

40d is the last version I think I remember actually sitting down and playing more then create world, get to preparing to embark, throwing up hands and saying "Fuck this I'm gonna go play rimworld or Prison Architect or something"
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #118375 on: February 19, 2017, 01:44:00 pm »

40d was awesome fun, I had quite a few adventurers get some good stuff going.

I always started as a peasant for some reason... always bothered small animals to boost my stats, too.

The one adventurer I always remember was a dwarf that went up against a roc, got a few good hits in, but got his arm torn off. He ran away.

He then went back, almost immediately got his leg ripped off, and decided to retire in a nearby town.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118376 on: February 19, 2017, 07:37:02 pm »

Ok for fun I am going to share with you guys a Pet Peave that doesn't exist anymore... it is a VERY old trope that pretty much ended in like... the 80s at most.

OHH no it is a dangerous animal! We must kill it!

Holy cow is it weird how old shows and pieces of fiction just had this obsession with killing dangerous animals even if they were completely isolated and out of everyone's way.

You think Jaws created that mentality with Sharks? Well sorry, they were just tapping into that! people just had this idea that nature needed to be beat down with a good old gun!

My FAVORITE was a movie about Astronauts who end up on another planet and are basically on Monster Island on that planet. So they escape and because these monsters are SOO dangerous (for anyone who could end up on that island) that they literally nuke it!

Yes they destroy that entire island because it had Dinosaurs... after they are completely safe and off that island.

--

Even Star Trek isn't immune to it. With them deciding it is entirely justified to kill a salt monster.

Nevermind that the only reason it is aggressive is because you introduced an excessive amount of food in what was supposed to be a scarce resource in the environment... It would be like people throwing chum into a shark swarm and then going "Opps! they are going crazy! Guess we gotta kill them!"
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 07:43:23 pm by Neonivek »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #118377 on: February 19, 2017, 07:41:32 pm »

Yea when IM the food I take umbrage to the idea that I should feel bad about creating its feeding frenzy.

But yea, lets say it was excess star energy or themal heat or the agitation of being close
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118378 on: February 19, 2017, 08:03:44 pm »

I recall a particularily idiotic Seaquest episode in which they awaken accidentally some retardedly large dino-crocodrile (think aircraft-carrier-sized). They had to kill it because such dangerous wow. But of course in Seaquest they can't kill things, so instead they opt to collapse a glacier on top of the beast, which for some reason instead of killing it will "put it to sleep".

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #118379 on: February 19, 2017, 08:36:55 pm »

Well yes, putting it to sleep is a common euphemism for killing the animal, 'least in this part of the US. If it was intentional, it wouldn't exactly be surprising, heh. Chunk of that show was filmed in florida... I've actually been to one of the places they did some of the filming at before, though I completely forget exactly where it was at this point.

E: Though it did just hit me that hearing the name of that show in 2017 is probably a WTF in itself. Nevermind other people, I'm half surprised I remember it existed...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:41:52 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 7890 7891 [7892] 7893 7894 ... 11037