Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7888 7889 [7890] 7891 7892 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14492781 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #118335 on: February 18, 2017, 11:25:18 am »

In support of that, there is an "eschew materials" feat where you don't even need the guano.
The shit was within you all along.

But yeah that's where I was going with Maxwell's Daemon, theoretically it's infinite energy for no effort.  It merely violates thermodynamics is all.
Maybe you're just using abstract concepts as components.

Wizards are int based and usually old.
Pretty sure they just learn extensive amounts of physics hacks which happen to require guano or diamond dust
My headcanon is that components in magic are like chemistry but for rewriting the laws of chemistry. The reason they're mundane(ish) objects is because those are the stuffs empirically tested to work. You could theoretically try to cast a spell using literally anything as component but usually due to an object's interactions with reality you end up with a feedback loop of requiring more components.

There's a part in Discworld where the witches summon a demon using a washing tub, a scrubbing board and brush and some old soap flakes. Referring to them as artifacts was enough to satisfy the spell requirements. Another moment was when archchancellor Ridcully reduced the otherwise complex spell of summoning Death to only needing a fresh egg.

In Forgotten Realms don't mages get their magic from the Mystra? Not really worshipped but she is the mother of all magic.

I think magic is mostly mental in Discworld, given how Pratchett makes righteous anger the most powerful force in that universe, and how reality-altering beings are fed with beliefs.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118336 on: February 18, 2017, 11:26:35 am »

@Mech#4:Actually that was Stibbons, and it was teo bits of wood and a fresh egg, I believe.

That or 4 cc of mouse blood?

Yeah, something like that. It's like the miniaturization of technology in a way, being able to do more with less. It moved into being like physics where they determined the smallest unit of magic usable to do... something, I forget exactly what.
The unit of magic is the thaum, which is one medium-sized pigeon.  Dunno when they found the *smallest* unit.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #118337 on: February 18, 2017, 12:23:44 pm »

Magic use isn't lazy, because it usually has a cost.  That cost depends a lot on the setting and spell effect, though.  DND magic tends to be exceptionally cheap, making fireballs from pinches of guano you don't even need to track (just have "bag of spell components" that covers 90% of spells). 

Actually DND wizards are just weird, I'm not sure where the "power" comes from...  other spellcasters all channel raw power from somewhere.  Perhaps wizards intricately yet passively defy thermodynamics like Maxwell's Daemon.

Of course, DND is a game.  In a lot of fantasy settings magic requires "equivalent exchange"... even if you're allowed to take the cost out of a victim instead of yourself.  Here magic is a entity or entities which must be bargained with, like spirits or devils (but maybe more primal).  This magic is fundamentally different from sufficiently advanced technology.
Magic in D&D comes from Spellweave, which is a thing created by a God of Magic, Mystara. Its destruction is what caused D&D 4e to happen, by the way.

The spellweave, by the way, is pretty much a construct to enable wizards to do magic while keeping them from being able to do real magic. Magic used to be a lot more powerful and eventually that caused quite the cataclysm. Mystra created the spellweave to keep that from happening again.

In the Forgotten Realms lore, that is.
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118338 on: February 18, 2017, 12:28:48 pm »

My "favourite" definition of magic would be ley lines.
Or specifically one random type of ley line which was veins of extraplanar energy where the barrier between the material plane and the plane-void is very thin, and it can be borrowed in order to steal a few laws of reality from other neighbouring planes.

A moment was when archchancellor Ridcully reduced the otherwise complex spell of summoning Death to only needing a fresh egg.
If I recall, death was pretty unimpressed at the cut corners.

I think magic is mostly mental in Discworld, given how Pratchett makes righteous anger the most powerful force in that universe, and how reality-altering beings are fed with beliefs.
The Dresden files has the same system and I can vouch that when it's not being presented facetiously, it sounds extremely plausible.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #118339 on: February 18, 2017, 06:52:19 pm »

I ... ah ...find it odd that I still have what I presume is one of the only surviving copies of ye old adventure mode story involving modded body parts and an elven child
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #118340 on: February 18, 2017, 06:56:57 pm »

I ... ah ...find it odd that I still have what I presume is one of the only surviving copies of ye old adventure mode story involving modded body parts and an elven child

Nah, you can find it online.

But what do you mean 'have?' Is it saved to your computer?
(If yes, please seek psychological help immediately.) Also contact your doctor if you have an erection lasting more than four hours.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118341 on: February 18, 2017, 06:58:01 pm »

hunh.  I guess I feel better about that.

And yes, its in the dungeons of my DF folder.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #118342 on: February 18, 2017, 07:10:15 pm »

I just discovered that not only is there a page on the wiki, but ends with a link to the archived story.

What the fuck, DFWiki.

My game giveaway

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #118343 on: February 18, 2017, 07:36:13 pm »

I just discovered that not only is there a page on the wiki, but ends with a link to the archived story.

What the fuck, DFWiki.

Should I even go looking for it or...

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #118344 on: February 18, 2017, 07:39:28 pm »

I'm tempted to.....
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118345 on: February 18, 2017, 07:41:51 pm »

Do it. It's part of Bay12 culture.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118346 on: February 18, 2017, 07:44:01 pm »

Well its really not all that bad.  OR rather, its not all that vile, until the end.

Its not really that well-made a story, as far as entertainment goes.  plenty of forumites have made better stories.

*COUGH*
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 07:45:54 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #118347 on: February 18, 2017, 08:09:36 pm »

The only reason its notorious is because the fall of VN is occasionally attributed to it. Probably apocryphal, though.

My game giveaway

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #118348 on: February 18, 2017, 08:18:54 pm »

Definitely apocryphal for multiple reasons; VN fell because people got out of hand in general. IIRC, the specific reason was a "battleship megathread" that was moved from topic to topic to cause mayhem. I think penguins were involved somehow? And besides, Stoneblock Fleetrod would've been in a DF subforum, rather than VN.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118349 on: February 18, 2017, 08:26:36 pm »

My wtf is that caffeine highs are so damn useful. I had forgotten just how bloody good they are. Life is electric.
Does anyone know if it's possible to ride a caffeine high 24/7?
And by 24 I mean throughout the day and early evening, and by 7 I mean on weekdays.
So to rephrase that, does anyone know if it's possible to ride a caffeine high 12/5?
My intuition tells me no, but I'd be interested to know just how well this can be exploited before its downsides outweigh its upsides.
Pages: 1 ... 7888 7889 [7890] 7891 7892 ... 11037