Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7869 7870 [7871] 7872 7873 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14485180 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #118050 on: February 11, 2017, 08:58:11 pm »

The paper I was really passionate about and poured a lot of energy into, got a grudging 90% with terse feedback saying that I didn't have enough sources to really substantiate my claims to the level expected of the assignment.

For the next paper, I wrote 2/3rds of it at 1AM the day it was due. I hated the subject, hated all the papers I read and cited, didn't care about my hypothesis, writing every word was pure agony and I felt like dying when it was done. It got 100% with glowing praise and only very minor, technical issues.

I hate writing.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #118051 on: February 11, 2017, 09:14:47 pm »

Yep, shit happens, you'll get used to it or go crazy. I had a very senior professor back in my undergrad years who initially disliked me quite a bit end up as a semi-friend in large part because of a paper I wrote for him. He described it as "one of the best pieces of work any student has ever given me", and his last words to me were disappointment because he felt that I was wasting myself due to pursuing a professional Master's instead of going all the way for an academic doctorate (I would but you gotta eat and student loans are murderous enough as is). It was a night-before job where I churned out about twenty pages in two hours, and felt dead-simple to write even by my standards. :|||||||||

(To be fair, my approach is to spend a few weeks/months researching, digesting, and mentally organizing + editing, and then to sit down and just let it all flow out, not "wing it"; if ya do that you're gonna run into trouble sooner or later, people can tell if your writing genuinely has no real thought behind it.)

As an alternate proposition, academic writing is directly improved by the amount of pain that it generated.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118052 on: February 11, 2017, 11:12:10 pm »

amazon for some inane reason defaulted to my old address and now my package is somewhere else and undeliverable and i cant find any way to correct it. does anyone have any idea how to fix it?

edit: figured it out
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:18:13 pm by redwallzyl »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118053 on: February 11, 2017, 11:14:08 pm »

Sounds like something you should contact Amazon about :/
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118054 on: February 12, 2017, 03:50:24 am »

You know... I define a Art Game and a Art Movie by pretty much one merit.

Is the art the priority to the detriment of everything else. The art IS the point and not the gameplay, watch ability, entertainment, or often even curiosity.

I kind of wonder if I am being a bit too harsh... Because it seems like I am giving "art whatever" a back handed comment and while yes, I can easily point to bad art games...

I can also point to good ones. The one I like to point to is "The Void" which by the merits of just being a videogame it would be a baffling game in terms of terrible design choices. Yet every single time a bad gameplay element pops up, 90% of the time it makes perfect sense for the narrative/message/plot/metaplot it is trying to tell. It put gameplay secondarily.

Games are art and movies are art as well. The difference is that games and movies balance the art and the function (though they don't necessarily have to, and a proper balance isn't necessarily 50/50)

But it isn't like what I am saying is some sort of mean division. Even Fashion has elements of this with clothes that are simply... unwearable and probably were immediately taken off the moment they left the runway. They were made to be completely dysfunctional and sometimes even to be hideous, yet it is the statement and artistry that is the focus and not the functionality.

But the thing is that Art *Whatevers* need to exist. A movie that is trying to impart a sense of dread and incredible boredom on you cannot do so in a "entertaining way" except maybe to make it short... and art explores these concepts and imparts them on the consumers.

-----

Goodness I just realized how difficult a word like "Balance" is.

Because it has a strong connotation of 50/50.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:55:01 am by Neonivek »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #118055 on: February 12, 2017, 08:11:07 am »

Looked at my face in the mirror. I realized I'm not some formless poltergeist and I actually do look like something. I know what my body looks like all too well from my perspective, but I'm always surprised to see it come together with my face and hair and I see myself like another person sees me. I made some facial expressions I commonly make and they look nothing like I imagined they do.

The thing is... I just had this realization in January. I know because I posted about it here, and looked up the post to make sure that it really was that recently. I feel like it's probably unusual to be spooked by your own face once a month.

Also I'm writing fanfiction again, I haven't done that in over a decade.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 08:30:35 am by itisnotlogical »
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118056 on: February 12, 2017, 08:44:29 am »

The best part is that you don't actually look like what you see in the mirror. Have you paid attention to the reflection of someone you know? It's broadly the same image, but flipped. It has a more profound distortion on some faces than on others.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118057 on: February 12, 2017, 08:58:56 am »

Boo! I had a dream I was playing a videogame called "Cooking Tycoon" (don't look it up... I am sure there is a cooking tycoon)

Where you actually make dishes like the way you did in Pizza Tycoon.

SERIOUSLY we need a game that lets you cook dishes and stuff, but where the dishes aren't the final point (like Cooking Mama)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118058 on: February 12, 2017, 09:06:45 am »

But the thing is that Art *Whatevers* need to exist. A movie that is trying to impart a sense of dread and incredible boredom on you cannot do so in a "entertaining way" except maybe to make it short... and art explores these concepts and imparts them on the consumers.

The movie "Gerry" (the one where two guys are lost in the desert) comes to mind here.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #118059 on: February 12, 2017, 09:15:26 am »

I once got a DVD from a teacher who was trying to introduce me to some local filmmaking. It featured shorts including a tutorial on how to make a molotov cocktail with a tampon, a random but weirdly engaging story about walking while the camera looked down at some walking feet, and a woman riding a bike nude down a busy highway. Kinda wish I still had that DVD, I never saw what was on the rest of it.

Besides that, I think of The Holy Mountain. It doesn't make sense or fit into any real genre, but I still thought it was very entertaining. I still remember a lot of the visuals almost perfectly, which is more than I can say even for old favorites that I saw dozens of times in my youth.

ufo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118060 on: February 12, 2017, 11:36:26 am »

are you ready to go down a pretty deep rabit hole?
click on this: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIxkUCjQP7vB2wpvMXw6oAQ
its a guy who believe everthing is an hologram made by alien orbs o_0
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 01:50:21 pm by ufo »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #118061 on: February 12, 2017, 05:32:58 pm »

It has been only six months since the Rio Olympics, but the Maracana Stadium has already been fucking looted, and many other objects are in similar state of disrepair.
._.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118062 on: February 12, 2017, 05:48:27 pm »

Good
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #118063 on: February 12, 2017, 05:50:49 pm »

The most alarming visual deterioration can be seen at the Maracana, where worms have damaged the now-threadbare playing surface, windows inside the stadium have been smashed, copper wire stolen from walls and ceilings, and a reported 10% of the 78,000 seats have been torn up. Late in January local electric utility company Light cut off power to the stadium in response to unpaid bills, claimed to be in the region of three million reals (USD$940,000).
hue hue hue

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #118064 on: February 12, 2017, 05:53:38 pm »

Good
Cool

But really, this is a bit ridiculous. Brazil was not an Olympic country, and most people knew it, but I thought that it would not be as fast. After all, Brazil is the B of the BRICS. Have they got no pride in their achievements, or something?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 7869 7870 [7871] 7872 7873 ... 11037