Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7857 7858 [7859] 7860 7861 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14479053 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #117870 on: February 08, 2017, 02:34:22 pm »

My sister-in-law needed help with some of her homework (she had been working all day and her brain was kaput, so she was mining me for ideas). This class was.... organized crime, maybe? I don't think so, something like cultural history or something. Anyway the point was one of the questions asked was:

"In what ways are mainstream rappers similiar to the minstrel shows of the 18th century?"

Me, my brother and her were flabbergasted, what a shitty weird question.

They're similar in that they seek out rich patrons and they sing about their culture/neighborhood/history. "And lo, I hereby say, fuck the constabulary." And something something, spreading the news of the time, something.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117871 on: February 08, 2017, 02:53:06 pm »

...parodies of blackness by black people?

I know very little about black culture/race in america/rappers/mainstream rappers/cultural history so I'm just going to back away now.

Anyway, wtf is that about minstrel shows in the 1700s? Isn't that a century early?

Anyway, I'd almost forgotten what it was like to write a really satisfying essay. Haven't had it marked of course, but definitely thingk it was one of the best all year. Felt really great, starving afterwards.
One wheel short of a wagon

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117872 on: February 08, 2017, 03:01:28 pm »

I dunno... both rap and bard's tales are basically poetry being sung?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #117873 on: February 08, 2017, 03:12:20 pm »

I suppose they're similar in general theme, but you could probably also speak about the importance of race to both. Rap is, you guessed it, a field for the Black guy, whilst the Minstrel shows often featured white people painted black. Sounds like there's plenty of racial stuff to mine there.

Oh, also hypersexualised or something. Really, just make stuff up and fit it loosely to the guidelines.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117874 on: February 08, 2017, 03:15:20 pm »

It depends on whether they mean this kind or this kind of minstrel.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #117875 on: February 08, 2017, 03:17:34 pm »

The timeframe and fact that gamer called it a minstrel show seems to point one way.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #117876 on: February 08, 2017, 03:39:08 pm »

Good question. They made a huge deal about Richard Hatch playing a major role in an effort to quell the GINO people.
I honestly went pretty blind into BSG, not paying much attention to actors beforehand. In this case it was more of a "hey I watched original series just shortly before I watched new one, I would have never guessed this guy in new BSG was actually that guy in old BSG, holy frak" kind of moment.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117877 on: February 08, 2017, 03:47:28 pm »

That went on for a short while before he lost interest and wandered off into his house to do whatever it is drunks do at 10:00 in the morning.

That would be drinking, in all likelihood.

This is why I'm glad that my country, unlike the Decadent West™, has a law strictly prohibiting selling alcohol past 23:00. After its introduction, the amount of drunks roaming at night has been drastically reduced!

Real drunks would have already purchased a spare handle of something to hold them over during those closed liquor store hours so as not to interrupt their three day benders.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #117878 on: February 08, 2017, 04:33:04 pm »

Well, that or break into liquor stores because they're closed when they need to restock.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #117879 on: February 08, 2017, 05:44:07 pm »

About the alcohol & drunk people theme:

I once encountered one drunk man which was a passenger in the same car as me. For some reason, he (sorta) really liked me and decided to follow me for a while. He then also said "let's be acquaintances" (he said his name is Igor), and I really wanted to say that my name is Montezuma San Juan De Callabero Al Baba (it's a soldier from my XCOM2 character pool), but I brushed him off by telling him that I don't trust him. I never saw him again after when I arrived at my destination by train, and I hope I never will meet him again.

Moral of the story: Stay away from drunk people, and if they'll "stick" to you, brush them off.

Or befriend them and steal their wallets while they are still drunk.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #117880 on: February 08, 2017, 05:57:12 pm »

My only problem with alcohol is a lack of opportunity to drink it. Stupid third shift.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #117881 on: February 08, 2017, 06:31:20 pm »

i feel that, but thankfully we have cheap beer at work

trouble is, i'm not a big beer fan, nor am i a lightweight

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #117882 on: February 08, 2017, 06:48:22 pm »

I just don't like the idea of not being sober, so I don't drink. I don't have, like, a rule against it or anything; if I had to drink in a social setting for whatever reason, I would. I'd just rather not, and so I don't drink whenever I can avoid it (which is always! Yay!). I just don't see the appeal. I also have a theory that I'd be a sad drunk, and I'd rather not test that theory out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In wtf news, yesterday it was 30 degrees and foggy in NY. Today it was in the seventies and sunny. Tomorrow it's 6-10 inches of snow.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #117883 on: February 08, 2017, 07:00:38 pm »

The double standards behind alcohol are completely ridiculous. I can't cite statistics about it without being branded edgy.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #117884 on: February 08, 2017, 07:07:03 pm »

I just don't like the idea of not being sober, so I don't drink. I don't have, like, a rule against it or anything; if I had to drink in a social setting for whatever reason, I would.
This is pretty much me, except I still refuse even in social settings. Had a friend try to coerce me into drinking a shot of her home-brewed cachaça, claiming that anyone who visited her house had to, but I still refused.

Considering I am unusually resistant to mind-altering stuff, from the times I was in intensive care, I don't think I even have anything to fear from drink. But I've made it this far without a drop of alcohol and I'll be damned if I start now.

Also, turns out not drinking means you save a ton of money.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 7857 7858 [7859] 7860 7861 ... 11037