Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7838 7839 [7840] 7841 7842 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14466232 times)

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #117585 on: February 02, 2017, 08:47:17 am »

I'm moving in with new people and they seem pretty cool but aren't Exactly my kind of people so I'm a little skep.
No drug dealers like Yoink thankfully but still a little worrying.

Once, I considered moving in with a few acquaintances of mine. There were a manageable rent and a very practical address in it. Then, I saw a loaf of bread nailed to the floor with an old cavalry sabre and decided not to. Jolly, hearty lads, and a pleasant place to party, but I do think it would have been a bit too jolly and hearty to live in, all together.

So, that job I've been talking about nonstop for the past few days? Yeah, I don't have it anymore.

I worked out my shift for the day, and then was told that it "wasn't a good situation for someone who needed to learn office skills without supervision." Um, you hired me knowing that I'd never worked in an office before. Anyway, I get the sneaking suspicion that they hired me to do simple tech work (script kiddy stuff, bat files, stuff like that,) and didn't want to pay me like a real tech, so they dangled a big fat carrot in front of my face and hoped I wouldn't notice. I got all the automation done before 11am today, and suddenly at 5 they no longer need me. Huh.

Anyway, those of you who told me to be on guard were right, as usual. I was suspicious, but I let my eagerness get the best of me. Lesson learned: something that seems too good to be true probably is.

It does happen, that. A business thinks they have made quite the bargain, realise that they are, indeed, getting merely what they pay for, and decide to feel disappointed and terminate the employment (and will no doubt terminate the employee as well, in the future). They usually cobble together a rickety reason why, which is what I imagine that "Why, you should know precisely how everything here works by instinct!"-business is about.
There is little to do but walk out and find something better. Best of luck, and while it seems that it has not caused you self-doubt or something similar, I would like to re-inforce it. This sort of business does not reflect badly on you in the slightest, it is all on them. It is never fun to be fired when it is not your fault, but at least there is very little luggage to drag around from it.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #117586 on: February 02, 2017, 08:57:01 am »

No drug dealers like Yoink
That explains his intensive opposition to the short anti-alcohol fibre I've started once on B12.
._.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117587 on: February 02, 2017, 09:33:17 am »

Yoink != drug dealer, past Yoink housemate == drug dealer.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117588 on: February 02, 2017, 09:35:46 am »

That explains his intensive opposition to the short anti-alcohol fibre I've started once on B12.
I'm pretty sure Yoink's not a drug dealer. One of his former roommates was, though, IIRC. And armed thugs came looking for him in the night (Maybe it wasn't night, but it's more dramatic that way).

E: Ninja'd.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #117589 on: February 02, 2017, 09:50:01 am »

We need a non-Trump related American politics thread. a thread for all American news that isn't about him.
L'etat c'est moi

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117590 on: February 02, 2017, 10:46:52 am »

Plus frankly saying 'Oh wow I can see why he defended beer if he's a drug dealer' is a little bit rude.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #117591 on: February 02, 2017, 12:25:15 pm »

I'm pretty sure Yoink's not a drug dealer. One of his former roommates was, though, IIRC. And armed thugs came looking for him in the night (Maybe it wasn't night, but it's more dramatic that way).

E: Ninja'd.
Given their demonstrated degree of competence and dedication, I suspect it was broad daylight.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117592 on: February 02, 2017, 04:46:19 pm »

Yoink != drug dealer, past Yoink housemate == drug dealer.
Alas, I lack the entrepreneurial instinct.
I actually noticed that ambiguous wording in Tack's post yesterday when it was posted, but I chose to wait and see what amusing misunderstandings might occur. I wasn't disappointed. :P As for the original post, well, stepping out of your comfort zone can be a very good thing, but people generally want their home to be their comfort zone, which might be tricky if you live with a bunch of people you have little in common with.

Give it a shot, though! Should work out fine once you get used to it, assuming these people aren't total lunatics.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117593 on: February 02, 2017, 04:56:45 pm »

They actually seem like pretty chill peeps. I think I absolutely get more along with the homeowner than housemate #2 though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #117594 on: February 02, 2017, 05:08:11 pm »

Dishwashing resume I could get, maybe it's some kind of test to make sure you can follow tasks like information requests and presenting yourself. Or maybe they do really have high standards.

Subway (as in the fast food place) not only wants a resume, they want to do a credit check for the online application. Fuck off, you don't need my credit score for a position placing rubbery lunchmeat on bread.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #117595 on: February 02, 2017, 05:11:41 pm »

Subway (as in the fast food place) not only wants a resume, they want to do a credit check for the online application. Fuck off, you don't need my credit score for a position placing rubbery lunchmeat on bread.
Don't privacy laws forbid them from asking that?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #117596 on: February 02, 2017, 05:13:44 pm »

I didn't look too closely, it might not have actually been required. It was just a button underneath the resume upload form, and I didn't continue past that point.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #117597 on: February 02, 2017, 05:14:07 pm »

Dishwashing resume I could get, maybe it's some kind of test to make sure you can follow tasks like information requests and presenting yourself. Or maybe they do really have high standards.

I found the same with a national retail brand.

They pay their staff a pittance as well.

Various other amusing questions I've come across on applications are "where have you lived the past 3 years?", "how long do you see yourself working for this company?", and "what is the job you enjoyed most/least and why?"
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117598 on: February 02, 2017, 05:43:39 pm »

Almost had a minor anxiety attack today because for some reason I was being overwhelmed by a constant flood of... unhappy memories. Angry memories. Couldn't stop it, didn't know why it was happening. Then I noticed I was really damn tired and pretty much operating on pure rage at that point, and suddenly it was less overwhelming. I suspected that my subconscious was doing it to keep me awake and alert. A cup of coffee later confirmed it; now that I had a stimulant, I wasn't being flooded with ragey memories anymore.

WTF, brain? Can't you think of a better way to keep me functioning properly?

Don't privacy laws forbid them from asking that?
Depends on state. Federal law allows it, but at least 10 states(California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington) have laws forbidding it, with at least 20 more considering legislation. (sauce)

However, consent is required before a credit check, and they cannot ask for consent on the main application; it is a separate written form. They are also required to provide various papers in the event the refuse to hire you based on the credit report - I doubt this is done very often, since they can probably just toss your application in the trash can and claim it was some other reason.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #117599 on: February 02, 2017, 05:50:09 pm »

In that case it might not actually be required for me. The online application applies to all Subways anywhere in the country (possibly world), and I'm applying in Oregon. Didn't stop them from putting the button there after I gave them my zip code.
Pages: 1 ... 7838 7839 [7840] 7841 7842 ... 11037