Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7835 7836 [7837] 7838 7839 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14465199 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #117540 on: February 01, 2017, 08:53:58 am »

Empathy and showing emotion really is a cultural thing. In many countries, not showing any sadness over the death of someone close to you will get you strange looks, and people will think you're a sociopath.
In other countries, showing emotions over the same thing and shedding tears in public will get you branded with a hysteria label and institutionalized.

Are you sure? Even with a cultural dislike of emotional display, I'm sure some dispensation would be given in the case of death?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #117541 on: February 01, 2017, 08:57:58 am »

I might have exaggerated it a bit. Let's just say there are countries where showing emotion in public is really, really not done and will turn you into a pariah.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117542 on: February 01, 2017, 09:46:22 am »

Pick a third option: Ostentatively hide your emotions!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117543 on: February 01, 2017, 01:25:05 pm »

I might have exaggerated it a bit. Let's just say there are countries where showing emotion in public is really, really not done and will turn you into a pariah.

See: Japan. They don't even shake hands over there, so basically any public showing of emotion will get you some funny looks, at least.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #117544 on: February 01, 2017, 01:59:15 pm »

WTF Youtube / VScauce..!!?? Paywall videos? WTF?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbyIYXEu-nQ

Another blow to freedom of information

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117545 on: February 01, 2017, 02:01:41 pm »

Youtube Red? That's been a thing for a little bit. "Higher quality videos" that you pay a monthly fee to watch. It does also, however, give you ad-free youtube and also support the people you watch by simply watching their videos. Not really a blow to freedom of information, as VSauce was really entertainment first/secondhand disbursement of scientific papers, which should totally be visible (especially publicly funded papers)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #117546 on: February 01, 2017, 02:10:12 pm »

Youtube Red? That's been a thing for a little bit. "Higher quality videos" that you pay a monthly fee to watch. It does also, however, give you ad-free youtube and also support the people you watch by simply watching their videos. Not really a blow to freedom of information, as VSauce was really entertainment first/secondhand disbursement of scientific papers, which should totally be visible (especially publicly funded papers)
All nice and dandy if you can afford that, but almost 3 euros per 30 min video is just not affordable for a lot of people. I agree that VSauce is entitled to make money for his awesome videos. It's just right now he won't earn a thing from me, cause I can't afford watching it, while if I were to watch his vid with ads, it wouldn't cost me, yet still pay him.
Unless, you're saying that the same video can be found with ads, and no paywall.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117547 on: February 01, 2017, 02:25:29 pm »

I bet it's on their channel?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117548 on: February 01, 2017, 02:58:14 pm »

All nice and dandy if you can afford that, but almost 3 euros per 30 min video is just not affordable for a lot of people. I agree that VSauce is entitled to make money for his awesome videos. It's just right now he won't earn a thing from me, cause I can't afford watching it, while if I were to watch his vid with ads, it wouldn't cost me, yet still pay him.
Unless, you're saying that the same video can be found with ads, and no paywall.

...Huh. I didn't realize that Google, a multi-national corporation, only allowed the $10/month Youtube Red subscription in only four countries. My bad, that is actually kind of ridiculous.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #117549 on: February 01, 2017, 04:50:09 pm »

Eh... on the face of it, maybe. Sounds like there's either legality issues involved (either with the service's... service, in certain areas, or with google operating in them) or they're running basic profitability trials... would guess on the latter, really. You run a few months/years of one pricing plan in a few areas, the other in others, see what kind of data pops out. Tweak things regionally if you can, too. Europe in general might be more compatible profit wise with the 10$/mo (equivalent) one, but maybe specifically germany and belgium generate higher margins with the other, for example. Have to be careful with it, though, since it's hard to recover from notably increasing a charge in anything approaching short order,* which is probably why a monthly doesn't seem to be being rolled out en masse, at the moment. Stuff like red you have to take into account regional differences in use, too. Can be complicated if you're actually trying to fine tune and optimize instead of just going with good enough, heh.

*Never looked up what common rates for that are, but if I had to guess off the cuff I'd wager around 5-10% increase every six to twelve months being around the limit before people stop grumbling and start looking for alternatives. Depends on the amount of the cost being adjusted, too, though...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117550 on: February 01, 2017, 06:11:21 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've changed my mind, set the West on fire.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #117551 on: February 01, 2017, 06:13:03 pm »

All the time I spent on 4chan and never thought to save that one picture of a puking anime girl for times like this
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #117552 on: February 01, 2017, 06:17:30 pm »

All the time I spent on 4chan and never thought to save that one picture of a puking anime girl for times like this
Don't worry, I have a substitute I didn't knew I need before this very moment!
._.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117553 on: February 01, 2017, 06:23:59 pm »

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #117554 on: February 01, 2017, 06:30:16 pm »

mfw
Pages: 1 ... 7835 7836 [7837] 7838 7839 ... 11037