Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7820 7821 [7822] 7823 7824 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14455940 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #117315 on: January 27, 2017, 06:55:31 pm »

Dunno if it never got rung up or if it was paid for but somehow not activated...but when I went to a Gamestop today to use a giftcard, I found out that it had a balance of $0 despite never being used.

Now I gotta get in touch with the person who gave me the card, they'll need to go through their receipts (assuming they still have it), if the receipt is found we'll probably have to return to wherever it was bought...

or I can just give up on the dang thing and not make a big deal out of it.

That is definitely a WTF.  I recently got a Best Buy gift card that sucked and for various reasons I couldn't actually buy anything with it, so I sold it on one of those online services.  Not much to do with something with a 0 balance, though. 

Awesome gift from that bro, though.  He'd definitely have socks in his future from me.  Socks with ponies on them and shit.

I think maybe those cards have an expiration date, but if you're talking about receipts it's probably not a factor.
I hope you do find the receipt and correct the error, hopefully getting some bonus credit for their mistake.  By making money off second hand games, Gamestop hurts developers and keeps launch prices high.

I don't have a cite for this, but I believe the practice of having these gift cards just expire or charging "fees" for every month until they evaporate has been declared illegal.  Value storage cards have to be maintained.  They can't just steal the money any more.

Cite of limited value:  http://www.ncsl.org/research/financial-services-and-commerce/gift-cards-and-certificates-statutes-and-legis.aspx

There's a five year limit on pulling that trick now.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:01:50 pm by muldrake »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #117316 on: January 27, 2017, 07:07:06 pm »

Another, rather sad, what the flop today is that it is now two years since dear Kitty0706 died. It is strange. It feels to me as an awful lot more than just two years, and yet so little more.

Dreadful shame. There were places to go.

Wow, two years? It feels so recent...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #117317 on: January 27, 2017, 07:13:39 pm »

I don't have a cite for this, but I believe the practice of having these gift cards just expire or charging "fees" for every month until they evaporate has been declared illegal.  Value storage cards have to be maintained.  They can't just steal the money any more.
Yeh, more or less. There's other rewards type things I think similar tricks are doable in regards to, but gift cards are decently protected in the states at the mo'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #117318 on: January 27, 2017, 07:14:01 pm »

Another, rather sad, what the flop today is that it is now two years since dear Kitty0706 died. It is strange. It feels to me as an awful lot more than just two years, and yet so little more.

Dreadful shame. There were places to go.

Wow, two years? It feels so recent...

Does it not just? Good Lord, it was simply so... Sudden. It did take a while until I stopped half-expecting a new video to appear. Awful shame, I really do think that he had a rather clear path into animation, that man.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117319 on: January 27, 2017, 11:28:30 pm »

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/290287/How_Sam_Barlows_new_employer_is_trying_to_make_films_interactive.php

There are some people talking about merging games and movies, actually making in-the-cinema style movies interactive. It seems doomed to me. There was a thing called Smell-o-Vision once (with the emphasis on once here), where capsules near your chair assaulted your nostrils with different scents based on the movie. It was competing with a rival system AromaRama. It didn't take off. I can see a film in the cinema that reacts to the audience in some way ending up the same way.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:32:52 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117320 on: January 27, 2017, 11:31:32 pm »

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/290287/How_Sam_Barlows_new_employer_is_trying_to_make_films_interactive.php

There are some people talking about merging games and movies, actually making in-the-cinema style movies interactive. It seems doomed to me. There was a thing called Smell-o-Rama once, where capsules near your chair assaulted your nostrils with different scents based on the movie. It didn't last. I can see a film in the cinema that reacts to the audience in some way ending up the same way.

A 'choose your own adventure' type movie might be cool, but then again, I can see people getting frustrated over it. It'd be more of a single person or maybe small group type experience.

Edit: There actually are some rides which have stuff like vibrations or air puffing at you, but it's limited to tactile and environmental experiences and it's limited to rides AFAIK.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:36:08 pm by smjjames »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #117321 on: January 27, 2017, 11:36:41 pm »

There are some people talking about merging games and movies, actually making in-the-cinema style movies interactive. It seems doomed to me. There was a thing called Smell-o-Rama once, where capsules near your chair assaulted your nostrils with different scents based on the movie. It didn't last. I can see a film in the cinema that reacts to the audience in some way ending up the same way.

A 'choose your own adventure' type movie might be cool, but then again, I can see people getting frustrated over it. It'd be more of a single person or maybe small group type experience.

Relevant, script from Futurama.

Monique: [on screen; in movie] Calculon, a fight scene has broken out at the special effects warehouse. Come quickly before a fiery explosion chases someone down a hallway.

[Two laser blasts hit a building behind her. Calculon hangs up.]
Calculon: [in movie] I have no choice but to--

[The scene freezes.]
Mr. Moviefone: [voice-over; in movie] If you want Calculon to race to the laser gun battle in his hover-Ferarri, press 1. If you want Calculon to double-check his paperwork, press 2. Enter now.

["1. Violent Lasergun Battle" and "2. Tedious Paperwork" appear on screen. Confused, Fry presses "1" on his chair.]
Mr. Moviefone: You have pressed 2.

Fry: No, I didn't!

Mr. Moviefone: I'm almost positive you did.

[Time Lapse. Night has fallen outside. Calculon check his paperwork.]
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #117322 on: January 27, 2017, 11:38:43 pm »

Question in mythology class worksheet over symbolism:
What does your driver's liscence symbolize?
I answered:
I am legally allowed to drive.
And it was marked incorrect.
What
Why
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117323 on: January 27, 2017, 11:41:36 pm »

Confidence? The Hero's Journey? Beer run?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117324 on: January 27, 2017, 11:42:03 pm »

actually your driver's licence is about ethics in games journalisim

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117325 on: January 27, 2017, 11:42:23 pm »

There are some people talking about merging games and movies, actually making in-the-cinema style movies interactive. It seems doomed to me. There was a thing called Smell-o-Vision once (with the emphasis on once here), where capsules near your chair assaulted your nostrils with different scents based on the movie. It was competing with a rival system AromaRama. It didn't take off. I can see a film in the cinema that reacts to the audience in some way ending up the same way.

You know what I just imagined? The Death Star trash compactor scene. While the stuff in there didn't look particularily organic, the smell was enough to make Chewbacca go "GAAHEEUGH!!", but I'd imagine it would still be pretty stinky for the humans, so, cue the smellopods squirting something that smelled like a combination between skunk spray and manure into the viewers face.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117326 on: January 27, 2017, 11:44:32 pm »

Question in mythology class worksheet over symbolism:
What does your driver's liscence symbolize?
I answered:
I am legally allowed to drive.
And it was marked incorrect.
What
Why

I've never heard of the drivers license be used as an example of symbolism..... also it's a pretty arbritrary question, unless you're supposed to answer with whatever answer was in a textbook.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117327 on: January 27, 2017, 11:47:43 pm »

What other kind of answer is there? :P

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117328 on: January 27, 2017, 11:48:25 pm »

World forum - Communist Quiz.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117329 on: January 27, 2017, 11:49:58 pm »

What other kind of answer is there? :P

I was going to say independence maybe? Which is what I meant by arbitrary, it can mean anything you want it to mean.

I'd ask your teacher or professor to clarify it and what the answer actually is. Though I fail to see how a drivers license would be connected in a mythology class.
Pages: 1 ... 7820 7821 [7822] 7823 7824 ... 11040