Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7816 7817 [7818] 7819 7820 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14451202 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #117255 on: January 26, 2017, 08:27:02 pm »

This is LITERALLY like if scientists in real life denied rainbows exist and said that rainbows are against the precepts of science and logic.

Depends what you mean by exist.  They certainly don't exist as a specific physical object located somewhere in space.  The photons that produce the effect exist, so do the eyes that see it, the phenomenon of rainbows exist, but you certainly can't find the bottom of one and a leprechaun with a pot of gold there.

It would be pretty dumb to say they don't exist without seriously qualifying it, though a scientist could say that "rainbows" don't exist if presented with a naive definition of "rainbow." 

Does jealousy exist?  Does consciousness exist?  How about the set of all sets that are not members of themselves?  Those are things that could more sensibly argued about.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #117256 on: January 26, 2017, 08:37:21 pm »

We human can be marvelous when we stop being idiotic assholes. That's how.

IF.

If.

No, it's a guarantee; people make good decisions every day. They're just drowned out by idiotic assholes. And not necessarily because the latter are more common, just louder usually, and we recall bad experiences or frightening things more easily than good ones; we're more concerned about the people doing something wrong or harmful than the people correcting problems or helping us. And also because we all enjoy giving attention to and pointing and laughing at people doing something stupid more than praising someone making a good decision.

Nobody ever fucking thanks the janitor for cleaning up after the bastard that clogged the toilet and flooded the bathroom. It's just expected behavior, so we ignore it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #117257 on: January 26, 2017, 08:46:28 pm »

... I have. Made a relatively consistent habit of giving a good word or two to custodial stuff if they're working in or near the same area I'm in at the time. A thanks, handing over the garbage can if I'm closer and they're there to empty it, stuff like that. Not 100% consistent, but it's been a good fair bit more than uncommon. They're there making my life better/easier. For whatever reason they're doing it, that's worth some good will, yeah?

Started when I was pretty young. Had some pretty decent acquaintances within my elementary school cleaning staff, heh. Not exactly close, but about the most you can expect between a preteen and a janitor without the cops getting involved, anyway
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #117258 on: January 26, 2017, 09:08:35 pm »

Geez, yeah. If there's two sorts of people you should just about always be gracious to, it's janitors and wait-staff. Out of common decency, I mean, rather than intelligent self-interest.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117259 on: January 26, 2017, 09:21:16 pm »

So I found out why a episode of Steven Universe was banned in the UK... and I was like "Whaaat!?!"

Apparently the UK has a few things in common with Russia assuming this is true.

"Think of the Children!" laws for the... win...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117260 on: January 26, 2017, 09:31:46 pm »

Is it an anonymous donation system?
Fairly anonymous I suppose, oftentimes people just show up and drop a bag of stuff. I don't know the actual details, as that's not my job. I'm sure there's some paperwork, since they get a 30%-off coupon for donating.

Geez, yeah. If there's two sorts of people you should just about always be gracious to, it's janitors and wait-staff. Out of common decency, I mean, rather than intelligent self-interest.
Well, Almighty Janitor could easily be in effect.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #117261 on: January 27, 2017, 01:06:01 am »

Re: fictional scientists:

It's a fine line between "I don't believe you. Prove you're not lying" and "I don't believe you. You're lying." The former is proper skepticism expected of a scientist, while the latter is just being an asshole.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117262 on: January 27, 2017, 01:13:28 am »

Yeah.  Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence...  Or at least, well-presented evidence.
Keeping an open mind about everything all the time is literally unhinged.  Being willing to entertain new ideas is good.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #117263 on: January 27, 2017, 01:24:31 am »

I believe what neo was concerned about were "intelligent scientists" rejecting concepts that could and have been proven correct in the associated fictional universe. Because they're dumb
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #117264 on: January 27, 2017, 02:31:33 am »

So I found out why a episode of Steven Universe was banned in the UK... and I was like "Whaaat!?!"

Banned one episode you say... that's cute. Fortunately, they haven't banned the internet here. Yet.
Which one, BTW? I saw that UK apparently edited a few seconds out of We Need To Talk, but did they ban some epsiode completely?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117265 on: January 27, 2017, 02:39:27 am »

Banned one episode you say... that's cute. Fortunately, they haven't banned the internet here. Yet.
Which one, BTW? I saw that UK apparently edited a few seconds out of We Need To Talk, but did they ban some epsiode completely?

Bismuth.

And no it wasn't because of the fight in it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117266 on: January 27, 2017, 02:43:46 am »

It'd be like a modern scientist disbelieving in, say, electricity. Which is a fundamental part of our universes physics (which in most fictional settings, is exactly what magic and what powers magic is) and has been studied for centuries (again, probably magic has been around for a while unless it's a "hey it's 201x and SUDDENLY MAGIC" like Shadowrun) and is used by untold numbers of societies to ease life and study even non-electrical/magical objects and phenomena.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #117267 on: January 27, 2017, 02:52:56 am »

Bismuth.
And no it wasn't because of the fight in it.

Oh. Well, to the net we go.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117268 on: January 27, 2017, 05:33:21 am »

Haven't been here in a while, but, how the fuck did BFEL get banned?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #117269 on: January 27, 2017, 05:40:46 am »

iirc, politics thread shenanigans

which really shouldn't surprise anyone at this point, that thread is a fucking timebomb
Pages: 1 ... 7816 7817 [7818] 7819 7820 ... 11040