Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7812 7813 [7814] 7815 7816 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14448900 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #117195 on: January 25, 2017, 08:35:11 pm »

I'm fairly certain the whole "giant insects are impossible" thing comes more from an exoskeleton being more work then it's worth as you grow bigger then from the internal organs not being able to support it.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117196 on: January 25, 2017, 08:39:48 pm »

Insects lack lungs or a heart, which are needed to distribute oxygen on a larger scale.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #117197 on: January 25, 2017, 08:51:24 pm »

Insect maximum size strongly correlates to the atmosphere's oxygen content, because insects 'breathe' through their skin, and have no pulmonary system. Which is why, in the carboneferous era, there were insects with wingspans of nearly a meter flying about, the atmosphere's oxygen content was much higher at that time.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #117198 on: January 25, 2017, 08:56:19 pm »

Nuclear is already less cost-effective than renewable sources, given how long it takes to start up a plant and the expenses involved in the safety measures

Are we going by the fudged data? The one that also includes externalizations, things that are no longer part of the cost, and things that apply to solar but are thrown away?

Since apperantly the cheapest solar energy (that isn't cheating such as being subsidized) is 55 cents a watt. (assuming that source is right)

While the US's current cost of nuclear power is about 40 cents a watt. (err sorry 53 cents a watt)
So, uh, what source are you going off, first, because that's rather relevant, and second, I do mean 'all nuclear power presently operating is more expensive than solar power currently operating' I mean 'the ROI of a solar power plant compared to a nuclear power plant starting to go through with the necessary regulatary hurdles and construction work over a 20 year period is already greater and this trend appears to be likely to continue as solar power becomes easier to harness'.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #117199 on: January 25, 2017, 09:19:19 pm »

Insect maximum size strongly correlates to the atmosphere's oxygen content, because insects 'breathe' through their skin, and have no pulmonary system. Which is why, in the carboneferous era, there were insects with wingspans of nearly a meter flying about, the atmosphere's oxygen content was much higher at that time.

And huge swathes of land would spontaneously combust thanks to the availability of free oxygen in the air. Don't forget that part. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #117200 on: January 25, 2017, 09:27:43 pm »

All living things are potential untapped sources of oil.  You say we've reached peak oil, I say we should give it a few million years.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117201 on: January 25, 2017, 09:37:36 pm »

Can we, uh, take the energy economics elsewhere?

You don't like the bi-weekly "the earth is fucked, RIP Captain Planet, we will all roast in five months" Bay12 discussiontm?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117202 on: January 25, 2017, 09:40:24 pm »

Can we, uh, take the energy economics elsewhere?

You don't like the bi-weekly "the earth is fucked, RIP Captain Planet, we will all roast in five months" Bay12 discussiontm?

Man... do I want a Captain Planet Revival...

But the problem is it kind of hits an unfortunate middle ground.

It needs to be handled by someone who will take it seriously... But that person must be COMPLETELY OUT OF THEIR DANG MINDS!

So... In order to be funny it would need to be handled by someone who is writing it like a comedy... Which will likely suck.

But we can also give it to someone who will take it seriously, but they will try to make it legitimately good... Which will also likely suck.

Captain Planet is the BOMB! Hitler said so!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #117203 on: January 25, 2017, 11:52:03 pm »

His email is @thotpatrol.com holy shit

My wtf: I was just about to vaguebook, posting some song lyrics that kinda reflect the day I had and my current mood. What am I, thirteen years old? Holy shit I really haven't grown up at all.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:30:47 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117204 on: January 26, 2017, 02:24:13 am »

...holy shit, the balls on this guy. I still want to punch him in his stupid jerkass face, but this tantrum of his essentially ensured that he gets blackballed from every company ever, not just pharma.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #117205 on: January 26, 2017, 02:41:06 am »

So he's basically going "it's okay because the others are bad too"? Yeah no.

Also, do anyone else find  the use of "'member" instead of remember to be really annoying?

His email is @thotpatrol.com holy shit

My wtf: I was just about to vaguebook, posting some song lyrics that kinda reflect the day I had and my current mood. What am I, thirteen years old? Holy shit I really haven't grown up at all.

I must admit, I fight that urge on an almost daily basis.
Love, scriver~

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #117206 on: January 26, 2017, 02:41:54 am »

I'm late to the discussion, but:

All living things are potential untapped sources of oil.  You say we've reached peak oil, I say we should give it a few million years.
This is actually why some companies are looking at peat. Unlike other fossil fuels, it renews in hundreds rather than millions of years. Burning it is still pretty bad for the environment, but at least it's an excuse to restore some swamps. Actually, no, the companies will just drain the existing natural swamps instead of making their own. Sigh.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117207 on: January 26, 2017, 02:43:38 am »

Genetically engineered algae looks more efficient to me. Peat would be cheaper, but the areas predisposed to producing peat are not suited to mass exploitation.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #117208 on: January 26, 2017, 02:59:42 am »

What happened to Shirly Shrekly Shkreli to cause this kind of rant?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117209 on: January 26, 2017, 03:06:05 am »

What happened to Shirly Shrekly Shkreli to cause this kind of rant?
Numerous pharmaceutical companies are using him as a high profile scapegoat to divert attention from the fact that they jack up their prices by ridiculous amounts all the time, too.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 7812 7813 [7814] 7815 7816 ... 11040