Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7808 7809 [7810] 7811 7812 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14453194 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #117135 on: January 24, 2017, 05:12:02 pm »

...I do that anytime I walk into Gamestop.

Oh, man. That reminds me of the last game I ever bought from GameStop, and the first (also last) Steam game I ever bought: Supreme Commander 2

If you look at a retail box for SupCom2 it never mentions Steam at all, it never even mentions "internet connection required for activation". The only mention of internet on the box (including in the system requirements section) is clearly linked to multiplayer. Young me (this was in... 2009? maybe?) bought this game, brought it home... and discovered it required Steam.

To say I was "Steamed" would be putting it mildly. At the time the only way to get internet in our neighborhood was via WiFi off the grain elevator in town, and not only was this expensive (and relatively slow), but our house was behind too many trees, etc. At the time my PC used a pair of giant CRT monitors, which worked fine, but were not portable (to say the least). If I wanted to play my new game I would need to install it, then drag my PC to the neighbor's place and connect to Steam so it could activate. Remember the monitors? The only computer the neighbors had was a laptop, so one of them had to come along.

I installed the game, got everything ready, and went next door (several hundred feet down the road, I think dad drove me because of the monitor). I expected to quickly connect to steam, activate my game, then go home. Nope. The POS insisted on downloading 2GB worth of patches (or something) first. Several (~4) hours of waiting later I could finally play my game.

That was the first and last time I ever activated a game via steam. I either pirated the game at the library, bought it from a DRM free retailer and downloaded (once again, at the library), or in a few (very rare) cases I ripped the game files from the disk using a special "Steam install files extraction" tool and used a crack.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #117136 on: January 24, 2017, 05:33:00 pm »

... this was in... 2009? maybe...

... At the time my PC used a pair of giant CRT monitors...

u wot
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #117137 on: January 24, 2017, 05:36:06 pm »

New LCDs cost money. Old CRTs are free.

I needed that money for more important things. I got my first LCD (also my first new monitor, ever) last year.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117138 on: January 24, 2017, 05:50:43 pm »

Man, all of a sudden, every site would not load except this one. I think Steam was locking up as well while trying to download an update to Skullgirls. Actually, that may have been the cause...

-compressed to save space-

Had a similar experience. I went to GameStop, bought Left 4 Dead. This was before I really understood this sort of thing, and I certainly had no internet connection, so... Discovered it needed Steam. Granted, if I knew better that would have been obvious, but that wasn't mentioned on the box. Did manage to get my money back for it, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117139 on: January 24, 2017, 05:53:37 pm »

Anyone ever watch a letsplay in order to see if a game is worth buying...

but the person letsplaying it seems dead set on making the game in question seem like the most boring game in the universe?

I am trying to see if Interstellar Rift is any good but HOLY MOLY is the guy I chose to watch just picking all the most boring aspects and skipping over the good stuff.

UGH my eternal quest to try to find a game that isn't "Build by block" like... pretty much all of them.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #117140 on: January 24, 2017, 06:14:28 pm »

The roof of my mouth is extremely sore this afternoon, not sure why. Its making it painful to eat or drink anything too
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117141 on: January 24, 2017, 06:18:24 pm »

The roof of my mouth is extremely sore this afternoon, not sure why. Its making it painful to eat or drink anything too

Captain Crunch... No! You ate Froot Loops!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #117143 on: January 24, 2017, 06:36:06 pm »

WHY DO PEOPLE USE SKYPE

It is literally the worst program that I somehow tolerate using, simply because so many other people use it.

It is frozen nearly every time I look at it. I have to kill it with Task Manager just to check my messages. Every time an ad reloads, the whole program locks for way too goddamn long. Most web browsers by 2002 had figured out how to do banner ads effectively, why not Skype?

Most calls have to be restarted at the fifty minute mark, assuming Skype isn't kind enough to end the call itself before mockingly asking "How was your experience?" Webcam reception isn't much better, with an astounding five minutes before the feed froze on a call last night. Even text chat is not immune, with rooms just refusing to update for minutes on end despite a decent connection from all participants.

I was going to joke about how MSN Messenger was better but it literally was. I don't recall ever having a technical issue with it. Rock-solid client and service.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #117144 on: January 24, 2017, 06:38:16 pm »

lol @ Satanists against Trump.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #117145 on: January 24, 2017, 06:42:49 pm »

So this happens to other people too? Good to know; I thought I was just weird.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117146 on: January 24, 2017, 06:53:50 pm »

lol @ Satanists against Trump.

I think the last person to be hated by Satanists and Christians alike was Jar Jar Binks.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #117147 on: January 24, 2017, 06:55:05 pm »

We all secretly love jar jar.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #117148 on: January 24, 2017, 06:56:27 pm »

No, we don't.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #117149 on: January 24, 2017, 07:01:20 pm »

Spoiler: Episode VIII spoiler (click to show/hide)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 7808 7809 [7810] 7811 7812 ... 11040