Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7804 7805 [7806] 7807 7808 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14457544 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #117075 on: January 23, 2017, 01:22:46 am »

Ok here is an unrelated WTF... Ok this one is weird

You know that movie Pixels? The thing that got the largest "WTF" from me isn't what most people did.

At one point someone cheats to win one of the alien's games... using a cheat code built into the game the aliens were using...

The aliens are completely fooled but then come back when they look at the play back and realize that the person was cheating.

---

WHY do the aliens believe that is cheating?

The aliens don't understand human culture or human language for that matter... The only thing they have to go by are these ancient arcade cabinets and in it there are built in cheat codes. So to them these cheats are part of the game.

So why are they mad that someone used a code?

That Franklin quote is plainly ridiculous, though, because it's absolute.  Is it really *always* wrong to band together, sacrificing personal liberty for security?  I don't think so.  There's clearly a limit, but absolute liberty is a horrible prospect to realistically live in.
Fortunately it's also plainly unable to defend itself from outside forces, so it's a pipe dream/nightmare.

Franklin's quote is more a product of its time. Speaking of people who accepted clear tyranny and flagrant injustices. He is speaking more of grander losses of liberty then small ones. Heck even the "They don't even deserve security" can draw upon a lot of meaning (How many people who give up all their freedoms for security... have security?)

Using it in the context of the patriot act is somewhat out of context.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:26:45 am by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117076 on: January 23, 2017, 01:30:12 am »

(posted this before your edit, and I'm not responding to it here)
That's a good point.  Except, to inebriatedly play devil's advocate, as I do...

Those old games actually have very intuitive rules, compared to modern games.  I'd understand if a complete alien was able to, within a few minutes, understand how to play say...  Missile Command, Frogger, or Space Invaders.  Even Galaga wouldn't take that long, and I bet they'd be as confused by the ship-stealing mechanic as I was.

I haven't seen Pixels though so I don't know exactly what game it is.  Just sayin, intelligent beings with light sensing organs could probably figure out the intended gameplay pretty quickly.

And then recognize cheatcodes as purely unintuitive constructs which defy that gameplay.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117077 on: January 23, 2017, 01:31:51 am »

If they did then why did they build the cheats right into the games they made AND THEN punished people for them?

It isn't like they learned videogames from Hexen or Heretic :P

(In those games if you used the cheatcodes from Doom... they would do the opposite of what they are meant to do... along with a funny sarcastic line)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:33:40 am by Neonivek »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #117078 on: January 23, 2017, 01:37:40 am »

So they passed a law very similar to "USA PATRIOT."

Yup and their first thing which they'll do is to silence people who say "Russophobic" stuff (which is actually anti-government comments, even if they aren't just blank insults towards government). 

@Rolan7

Well, maybe that quote is ridiculous, but the law is downright oppressive and absurd itself when you realise that you can't beat terrorism by country-wide wiretapping because terrorists don't keep same SIM-cards over and over. Hell, it's not really about fighting the terrorism, it's about controlling public opinion.

Ok, no more politics. I'll go watch AT4W.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117079 on: January 23, 2017, 08:13:29 am »

I might have a place lined up to move into but I'm really not sure.
Why can people never seem to reply to my messages in a reasonable timeframe (if at all) lately? Perhaps it's karma for every time I've flaked on things in the past, but it's pretty stressful when I'm trying to arrange a place to live ASAP. :-\ And of course, my paranoid, unhelpful mind immediately leaps to the conclusion that I've fucked things up somehow whenever I'm hit with one of these periods of radio silence.

Was bad enough when I had a (possibly platonic) date and this happened, but when I don't know whether I need to keep looking for places to rent or not?
Yeah, that's a pain.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 08:22:11 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117080 on: January 23, 2017, 08:23:12 am »

If they did then why did they build the cheats right into the games they made AND THEN punished people for them?

It isn't like they learned videogames from Hexen or Heretic :P

(In those games if you used the cheatcodes from Doom... they would do the opposite of what they are meant to do... along with a funny sarcastic line)

Bear in mind that most often the cheat codes aren't strictly for cheating, they're intended as a tool for debugging. If you need to test a level, why take the significant amount of time playing through the rest of the game to reach that level? And it'd be even more of a bother to recompile the game just to test that level. Just input the code to go to that level. Oftentimes, the developers simply forget to remove them.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117081 on: January 23, 2017, 08:39:17 am »

Ok here is an unrelated WTF... Ok this one is weird

You know that movie Pixels? The thing that got the largest "WTF" from me isn't what most people did.

At one point someone cheats to win one of the alien's games... using a cheat code built into the game the aliens were using...

The aliens are completely fooled but then come back when they look at the play back and realize that the person was cheating.

A cheat code built into Pac-Man, which doesn't have cheat codes, only glitches. These cheat codes are used while the game is reenacted in real life. And the players are Pac-Man ghosts and not actually characters who cheat codes from the original would by design assist. And if they were built in by the aliens, there is no conceivable way any character would know of them or be able to use them.

Basically cheat codes are movie magic hacking, is the film's idea.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117082 on: January 23, 2017, 08:42:34 am »

I'm pretty sure most of those jokers are young and reckless, seeking attention.  It's really not fair to judge feminism by attention-starved high schoolers (or attention-drunk college kids).

Some joker threw eggs at us yesterday, and that says *nothing* about his "side".  Just that someone took an opportunity to act out and feel like a badass.

The sides aren't equivalent by any stretch, but they all have attention-seekers.

Its just a butyric acid prank, bro

There's a different between dumb, impressionable youth doing dumb shit and people setting fire to cars and planning an organized effort to deploy chemicals to disperse people. And none of the people involved with that specific plan fall under the "young people" umbrella.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 08:44:18 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #117083 on: January 23, 2017, 09:11:28 am »

Facebook broadcast a live video of 3 men in Sweden raping a semi-conscious woman. Only after a long time did the onlookers realize it was not a bad joke, and someone informed the police. The video kept streaming the rape, until the police entered the appartment and arrested the 3 men.

Facebook is under fire now. The question is, why did their livestream watchers not notice this, and instead it had to be a random viewer to notify the police, with Facebook claiming they have 24h teams watching livestreams for inappropriate content. Also their policy of giving livestreams priority in people's timelines is under assault. People wonder how many children have watched the rape.

Some people call out for a complete ban on Facebook livestream, periscope, and other various live media.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/Jeem7/tre-gripna-for-valdtakt-i-uppsala
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:14:59 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #117084 on: January 23, 2017, 09:20:45 am »

TBH I think the priority should be keeping it up, albeit much better monitored, since so many idiots seem to like broadcasting their crimes in realtime. There was that kid who got kidnapped a few days ago, now a rape, and goodness knows there's an endless barrage of morons showing off stolen merchandise. Let the criminals implicate themselves and do a better job of watching for it. Kids shouldn't have smartphones or be on social media anyways, but that's just my opinion.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #117085 on: January 23, 2017, 09:24:52 am »

I would be interested in estimates on how many people it would take to monitor all internet livestreams 24/7. I think there's not enough unemployed people worldwide to fill the needed vacancies for that.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #117086 on: January 23, 2017, 09:33:39 am »

If I were Basque I would claim sovereign citizenhood on the basis of Universal Nobility, and then lean back on saying I thus have a cultural right to be a free man.

But the rights of nobility as a whole were brought down after the Carlist Wars*. Besides, Basque Universal Nobility did not mean that you could do whatever they want. The old foruak involved duties as well as priviledges. Granted, not many duties (something something you have to obey your king of he calls you to war, but only if said war is waged in Basque lands which specifically means between so-and-so trees, otherwise you dont have to do jackshit if he doesn't pay you), but the priviledges werent by themselves very much. Most notably, you might be noble by default, but this basically meant  that you had the right to bear arms, and were tax-exempted. It didnt actually mean that you owned anything, and in fact most didn't because  Basque foruak also determined that the land (and therefore any higher title) was inherited exclusively by the eldest male heir, thus everyone  else was hung up to dry.  It did mean, however, that you had a very good start if you wanted to purse a career in the army and/or as a civil servant.

*worth noting, however, that while nobility as a social class doesn't exist anymore in a meaningful way, the Basque Country and Navarra do have a special status in regards to self-goverment.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:35:35 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #117087 on: January 23, 2017, 09:59:07 am »

I would be interested in estimates on how many people it would take to monitor all internet livestreams 24/7. I think there's not enough unemployed people worldwide to fill the needed vacancies for that.
So Facebook = all the internet and they're too stupid to have people glance over stuff that's getting high view-counts? Given the level of information control FB has I would be surprised if they couldn't filter content with anomalous view-counts, too, where some nobody suddenly has hundreds or thousands of stream viewers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #117088 on: January 23, 2017, 10:00:49 am »

So Facebook = all the internet
Huh? What? I didn't say that at all.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #117089 on: January 23, 2017, 10:46:08 am »

You didn't, but you switched to 'all the internet' live streams out of nowhere in the middle of a talk about Facbook livestreams, so it sounded like you equated the two.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway
Pages: 1 ... 7804 7805 [7806] 7807 7808 ... 11040