Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7788 7789 [7790] 7791 7792 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14461154 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #116835 on: January 18, 2017, 08:16:54 am »

Mhm. It's called excise tax. It applies to various alcohols, cigarettes, fuels, electric energy, cars and such. In general, if it's being illegaly smuggled across the border - excise tax proably applies to it. The tax isin't high when it comes to fuels, electric energy, wines and beers, but it's quite insane when it comes to drinks with high amounts of alcohol in them and stuff made out of tobbaco. Excise stamps appear on those really expensive things like those, which are a way to combat mentioned smuggling.
I belive in Germany there is even an excise tax on coffee... and nuclear fuel.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #116836 on: January 18, 2017, 08:58:32 am »

Spider builds perimeter defense for offspring wtf.

Not sure if clever hoax or for realz.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/blogs/mysterious-silkhenge-spider-master-architect
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116837 on: January 18, 2017, 11:13:02 am »

MNN?  Who?

Quick Wiki'ing says 'probably reliable, for-profit'.  So...Huh.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116838 on: January 18, 2017, 01:39:50 pm »

My Biggest Shame?

I actually really... REALLY like... The Annoying Orange Cartoon Show (the one that got on TV)... And think it is more clever then people give it credit for.

For example one episode was about Karate (as all cartoons do) and it is revealed that Pear knows martial arts but gave it up because he gets too violent. So Orange fails to convince him to fight until he loses a match and then Pear Jumps in for the Heroic save.

Now this is where a normal Cartoon would end. Yet that violence problem? Yeah it actually was a bad idea to get him to fight as he goes into a frenzy and attacks random people... because you can't just "Friendship" away issues.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #116839 on: January 18, 2017, 06:14:45 pm »

Spider builds perimeter defense for offspring wtf.

Not sure if clever hoax or for realz.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/blogs/mysterious-silkhenge-spider-master-architect
Nat geo confirmed it's legit, but what it is is a mystery
No one's yet seen the creation of these things before but these silkhenges have been seen throughout Peru, French Guiana and Ecuador

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116840 on: January 18, 2017, 10:12:11 pm »

Is it just me, or did activity just slow waaaay down? There's been just one or two posts in the last hour.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116841 on: January 18, 2017, 10:18:47 pm »

For what?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #116842 on: January 18, 2017, 11:42:17 pm »

I'd imagine just this thread. That does tend to happen at night though.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #116843 on: January 19, 2017, 03:40:19 am »

Don't you hate it when you begin to read a novel and at some point it becomes a tract for whatever belief the author professes and wants to shove down your throat?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116844 on: January 19, 2017, 03:52:51 am »

I dunno, sometimes it's kind of funny due to its ridiculousness.

I once have encountered a conspiracy theory that the entirety of Russian strategic air forces have attacked and, presumably, destroyed some USA fleet during the Iraqi 2003 war via firing thousands of missiles, blue-screening the AEGIS software, and escaping unnoticed through civilian air bands by pretending to be flocks of birds - in a two-book series that was basically "AI hobbit develops sentience in a fantasy Tolkien-themed world".
._.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116845 on: January 19, 2017, 04:19:19 am »

Don't you hate it when you begin to read a novel and at some point it becomes a tract for whatever belief the author professes and wants to shove down your throat?

Well it depends how outlandish the belief is. If I was reading some book and it turned out to by shilling for the Reptilian Conspiracy, that might make for good reading. Merely normal beliefs might be boring however, they really have to dial it up to 11. e.g. a novel by an anti-vaxxer would be better if the vaccines turn you into a zombie horde.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:16:32 pm by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #116846 on: January 19, 2017, 08:47:35 am »

I was reading what seemed a run of the mill fantasy novel, got progressively more classist and uncomfortable, and suddenly it turned into a mormon tract out of the blue. I shit you not.

I am kind of used to sometimes reading shitty novels as I feed my book habits by downloading in bulk, though. It's not my worst surprise in this regard, either.  Before I started getting books from the web I used to buy in bulk from bookshop's bargain bins, and I had the misfortune of taking to a trip some of the worst of that selection.  (I actually got so fed up that gave them away to the hotel's staff in Cuba. I like Cubans so I hope they sold them to some other hapless tourist)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116847 on: January 19, 2017, 09:07:50 am »

Depends on whether the novel is at all well written.  Almost every Heinlein novel either turns into or actually is an outright tract of some sort, but it usually is in harmony with the content of the novel itself, and you don't have to agree with the politics of it to like the novel.  Case in point, Starship Troopers, although he certainly wrote worse novels that got way more tract-y.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #116848 on: January 19, 2017, 09:46:16 am »

Those are the only books I read, outside of the classics anyways. And in the case of classics it just happens to be that most of the time the causes or beliefs they're advocating are ded
Super ded

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116849 on: January 19, 2017, 10:21:04 am »

Those are the only books I read, outside of the classics anyways. And in the case of classics it just happens to be that most of the time the causes or beliefs they're advocating are ded
Super ded
This explains why all your shitposts turn into tracts halfway through.
Pages: 1 ... 7788 7789 [7790] 7791 7792 ... 11040