Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7784 7785 [7786] 7787 7788 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14463210 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #116775 on: January 17, 2017, 07:17:49 am »

my gut reaction is to blame debian, but i have an irrational distaste for debian and all debian based distros, so my opinion is pretty fucking biased
Y tho? I never had any outstanding problems with any stable version of Debian, and I use it pretty frickin' extensively. I mean, I haven't had a Windows system for years now, including multiboot, and my work is with computers.

Ubuntu is a bit cancerous, though.

Then again, my only experience with a non-Debian distro is Slackware when I was a smoler bean than I am now, and I don't remember doing much with it.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116776 on: January 17, 2017, 07:24:30 am »

Looks like your debian is debianlitated
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116777 on: January 17, 2017, 07:26:39 am »

you can't just expect someone to rationalise their recognisably irrational opinions, jeez

also, like, why is windows slow even to shut down

why is that a thing that takes so long i have enough time to go to the kitchen, make a sandwich, come back, and eat it before windows decides it's done doing... whatever the fuck it is windows does that takes so god damn long

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116778 on: January 17, 2017, 07:34:05 am »

why is that a thing that takes so long i have enough time to go to the kitchen, make a sandwich, come back, and eat it before windows decides it's done doing... whatever the fuck it is windows does that takes so god damn long
Window's many user-friendly features require a large number of programs to be running, closing them all would obviously take more time than doing the same for the DOS-command-style Linux (I'm not an expert on either Windows or Linux, so I may be wrong).
._.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116779 on: January 17, 2017, 07:47:51 am »

Window's many user-friendly features require a large number of programs to be running, closing them all would obviously take more time than doing the same for the DOS-command-style Linux (I'm not an expert on either Windows or Linux, so I may be wrong).
...Linux GUIs/Desktop environments have been a thing for ages now. They are a lot more lightweight, though, even when providing pretty much the same functionality as the Windows DE. Why, I dunno.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #116780 on: January 17, 2017, 08:08:05 am »

Nah, Windows in its core isint THAT slow, but its extremly suspectible to getting slowed down - background updates (especially Windows ones), various logs and backups, programs that dig into Windows, inefficent hard drive management. Though, even really shat on, uncleaned for over 6 years computer like mine boots and shuts in less than a minute. Not a real problem for me since I barely turn it off anyway, lol.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #116781 on: January 17, 2017, 08:15:06 am »

edit: oh god i just reached up to open a command prompt to reboot back into linux but i don't have cmd.exe on my windows taskbar and i'm pretty sure windows would just get confused if i told it sudo reboot

Windows+R, cmd, shutdown -r. Windows has a surprising number of linux-like features, but I don't blame you for not knowing they're there. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116782 on: January 17, 2017, 08:15:23 am »

Yep, if you have a minor grasp on keeping shit from piling on, windows works fine, and I still haven't switched since windows still boasts the greatest compatibility with vidya and many other software I use in lawyering and other things.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116783 on: January 17, 2017, 08:30:42 am »

Windows+R, cmd, shutdown -r. Windows has a surprising number of linux-like features, but I don't blame you for not knowing they're there. :P

i'm aware they exist, but they're still different from what i'm used to and it's late so i have to put in more effort to bypass muscle memory

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #116784 on: January 17, 2017, 09:43:53 am »

This isn't... like say... Parents being Jehovah Witnesses that deny their daughter a blood transfusion causing her to die. It is at least isolated and you know what? religious freedom.

I'd throw a judge on JW parents who tried that, if all other options failed. Dont know why I can't do the same on the antivaxxers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #116785 on: January 17, 2017, 10:05:00 am »

TFW you realize you have 42 tabs in two instances of Chrome running on your laptop
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116786 on: January 17, 2017, 10:17:15 am »

So there's been this new law that forbid selling beer in container 2 liters and larger in size, as a part of the ongoing campaign for increased sobriety and high moral wellbeing of Russian citizens. Guess what, the producers have added a little bit of honey to the beer solution and are now legally selling it as "mead", in the same-sized containers.

So much for that!
._.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116787 on: January 17, 2017, 10:22:23 am »

So there's been this new law that forbid selling beer in container 2 liters and larger in size, as a part of the ongoing campaign for increased sobriety and high moral wellbeing of Russian citizens. Guess what, the producers have added a little bit of honey to the beer solution and are now legally selling it as "mead", in the same-sized containers.

So much for that!
The free market, uh, finds a way.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116788 on: January 17, 2017, 10:34:20 am »

God they messed that up. The thing is, the manufacturers did change their behavior because of the law, and that is also going to change consumer behavior / beliefs (buying mead is different to buying beer, even if not much).

What the government messed up wasn't trying to restrict larger sizes, it was that they specified "beer" rather than "alcoholic drink". What they should have done is say "bottles over 2L cannot have alcohol levels over 4.5%" or some similar restriction. Then the "big beer" would be weaker. And then every 5 years or so, you knock 0.1% off the allowed strength. Sneak it in.

But you do have to plan carefully and think about everything companies can and will do to get around that law. If you say "2L+ bottles" are illegal or must be weaker, then companies will settle on new standards such as the "1.9L" bottle. So you can't say "2L is banned", you have to work the opposite way and e.g. say "1.5L is the limit".
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:37:47 am by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #116789 on: January 17, 2017, 10:39:38 am »

So much for that!
Got to love Russian way of running a business. Beer with honey doesn't make mead though. Unless they add it before fermentation.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 7784 7785 [7786] 7787 7788 ... 11040