Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7781 7782 [7783] 7784 7785 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14465272 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #116730 on: January 16, 2017, 03:39:07 pm »

had to read some 19th century papers for my theory class. good god that stuffs impenetrably dense i gave up reading every word. no wonder theirs a separate book just for explaining what they said. the communist manifesto weren't bad though, kind of compelling in an odd way, i can see why it caused such a stir.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #116731 on: January 16, 2017, 03:42:54 pm »

That's because the Communist Manifesto is a pamphlet, meant for mass distribution and to be read by average people like Common Sense was.

This is notable because it is often paired in discussions with Marx's other big writing, Das Kapital, a book so gigantic and absurdly difficult to read that I once saw a university course dedicated to it exclusively over months of analysis and discussion.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116732 on: January 16, 2017, 05:22:23 pm »

Turns out my step-uncle didn't steal my vegetables. Huh.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #116733 on: January 16, 2017, 05:24:21 pm »

You sure? It would be hard to resist taking a ten-carrot collection.

((Forgive the terrible pun))
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116734 on: January 16, 2017, 05:26:54 pm »

Nah, found the package where I left it, unopened, somehow previously completely failing to notice a fairly large 5"x8" plastic-wrapped tray of fresh vegetables in the refrigerator drawer where I originally put them.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116735 on: January 16, 2017, 08:46:07 pm »

It was aliens, they teleported into your refrigerator and took the vegetables for analysis then put them back.

I'm not really joking here. I read a UFO site ages ago that was discussing investigations into claims of alien contact, which the UFO investigators were either debunking or saying they didn't have enough information. One of the more memorable ones was an American family who believed that aliens were "beaming down" into their closet, they produced an "alien claw" left behind in the closet for analysis. It was analysed and eventually discovered to be a dried up slug.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 08:51:52 pm by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116736 on: January 16, 2017, 08:50:27 pm »

Honestly, your step-relatives not doing something to annoy/inconvenience you is a bigger WTF than the aliens explanation. 
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116737 on: January 16, 2017, 08:50:48 pm »

Please tell me the Anti-vaccination movement is losing members and not growing them... given they had a major movie released last year.

>_<

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116738 on: January 16, 2017, 08:54:05 pm »

If that's "Trace Amounts" then the movie is already bunk because Thiomersal was removed from all childhood vaccines many years ago, purely as a preventative measure to minimize mercury exposure. There are still "trace amounts" of Thiomersal in some vaccines, but none of them are standard vaccines for children. So the whole basis of the film is just wrong, even if there was a link.

Well I guess if you're into homeopathy then "none at all" is still enough of a trace amount to cause and effect :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 08:56:17 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116739 on: January 16, 2017, 08:55:58 pm »

If that's "Trace Amounts" then the movie is already bunk because Thiomersal was removed from all childhood vaccines many years ago, purely as a preventative measure to minimize mercury exposure. There are still "trace amounts" of Thiomersal in some vaccines, but none of them are standard vaccines for children.

No no... "Vexxers" (and a subtitle but I forgot it)... and it has no real science whatsoever.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116740 on: January 16, 2017, 09:01:18 pm »

Another surprising one is that there's apparently no evidence whatsoever of adverse reactions to MSG. A lot of people report having reactions to food they believe has MSG, but no researcher has ever been able to find a correlation between MSG and "MSG symptoms" if the subject didn't know whether there was MSG or not.

One reporter on the subject did a test (anecdotal however) where he put tons of MSG on tomatoes and gave them to an "MSG sensitive" friend, telling him they were organically-grown tomatoes (thus explaining why they were so flavorful). The friend had no "reaction" at all.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:03:29 pm by Reelya »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116741 on: January 16, 2017, 09:02:34 pm »

If that's "Trace Amounts" then the movie is already bunk because Thiomersal was removed from all childhood vaccines many years ago, purely as a preventative measure to minimize mercury exposure. There are still "trace amounts" of Thiomersal in some vaccines, but none of them are standard vaccines for children. So the whole basis of the film is just wrong, even if there was a link.

Well I guess if you're into homeopathy then "none at all" is still enough of a trace amount to cause and effect :)
You assume that anti-vaxxers care about little things like "facts"...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116742 on: January 16, 2017, 09:03:20 pm »

Another surprising one is that there's apparently no evidence whatsoever of adverse reactions to MSG. A lot of people report having reactions to food they believe has MSG, but no researcher has ever been able to find a correlation between MSG and "MSG symptoms" if the subject didn't know whether there was MSG or not.

No there is TONS of evidence. You see, babies/toddlers/children get vaccines... and later on they are diagnosed with autism. Thus vaccines caused autism.

That is it... There is another piece of "evidence" they have (Showing a co-relation between when autism symptoms show... and delayed vaccination)

---

I dunno one thing I especially don't like about it is that... Autism is kind of... overly vilified so to speak.

I mean disabilities are disabilities... But they put it on equal ground with being crippled or blind and act as if their child has been ruined. Autism doesn't work that way... you have probably met an autistic person and didn't know it.

Note: Yes I am aware I am also overly vilifying blindness and being crippled, and not helping there either. I know that "differently abled" is kind of insulting in it of itself... but it at least highlights that people find a way to live with and thrive in spite of their disabilities.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:06:29 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116743 on: January 16, 2017, 09:07:23 pm »

That is it... There is another piece of "evidence" they have (Showing a co-relation between when autism symptoms show... and delayed vaccination)

Yeah the problem with that correlation is that "when autism symptoms show" actually means "when we started noticing". And if you're being told in the media that there might be a connection between vaccines and autism, you're more likely to be paying attention after they get a vaccine than before.

But "timing correlation" is meaningless unless a vaccinated kid is more likely to become autistic, period. In fact the promotion of such tangential "evidence" is usually the warning sign that there isn't any evidence at all, so they've resorted to finding the scraps.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:16:12 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116744 on: January 16, 2017, 09:14:54 pm »

Yeah the problem with that correlation is that "when autism symptoms show" actually means "when we started noticing". And if you're being told in the media that there might be a connection between vaccines and autism, you're more likely to be paying attention after they get a vaccine than before.

The "Co-relation" that they show is real... It is just a weak correlation that hints that there is no actual relationship between the two.

Also you aren't quite correct about it being about noticing it more Reelya it is more... simple then that.

The REASON for it... is because you get those vaccines before you CAN get symptoms of autism. A Autistic child shows symptoms between 12-18 months.

The vaccine is typically taken: 2, 4, 6, 15-18 months... But the fourth may be taken as early as 12 months.
Pages: 1 ... 7781 7782 [7783] 7784 7785 ... 11037