Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7775 7776 [7777] 7778 7779 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14470160 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #116640 on: January 13, 2017, 01:10:44 am »

There is no empirical scientific evidence that fluoridation is unhealthy.

What about how people from countries without it can't drink fluorided water without getting sick? :P

You know websites if you don't want me using adblocker MAYBE don't make the advertisements break my browser or constantly spam at me.

----

Also are people just... completely unaware of the liberal use of torture in Old Tiome prisons?

I am seeing people go "Torture chamber? In a prison? Something must be going on here" and I am just like "No, that is pretty normal... In fact even modern prisons sometimes do some forms of torture".

Are you equalizing corporeal punishment (including things like stocks of different kind here for simplicity) with torture?  Or what is your definition of torture here?
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #116641 on: January 13, 2017, 01:13:01 am »

There is no empirical scientific evidence that fluoridation is unhealthy.

What about how people from countries without it can't drink fluorided water without getting sick? :P
That's just their inner daemons of tyranny being excised by exposure to the right to enamel.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #116642 on: January 13, 2017, 01:20:45 am »

If "makes people who aren't used to it sick" is proof of toxicity, then Indian food must be the most poisonous substance on earth.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116643 on: January 13, 2017, 01:23:33 am »

If "makes people who aren't used to it sick" is proof of toxicity, then Indian food must be the most poisonous substance on earth.

With the calories... It certainly is in the running.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #116644 on: January 13, 2017, 02:08:40 am »

As is my aunts cooking then. :v
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #116645 on: January 13, 2017, 02:14:31 am »

What are incorporeal punishments like? Proton beams?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #116646 on: January 13, 2017, 02:19:05 am »

Electroshock therapy for ghosts!

Or saying mean things to them would count wouldn't it?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116647 on: January 13, 2017, 02:26:20 am »

Are you equalizing corporeal punishment (including things like stocks of different kind here for simplicity) with torture?  Or what is your definition of torture here?

No... O_o?

Corporeal punishment can include torture (Solitary Confinement is a form of torture, for example. Well at least prolonged solitary) but not all Corporeal punishment is torture.

It just wasn't unusual for prisons back then to torture their inmates either as a common occurrence, part of the punishment, or as a form of compliance.

In fact IGNORING solitary... the idea that prisons shouldn't torture you is relatively recent.

HECK! Modern Canadian Military Prisons employ torture (unless this changed in the last 10 years). The reason they are tolerated is the torture is accounted for in sentence and can REALLY cut down on your stay.

--------
--------

Also why is it that people tell the story "The Boy who cried wolf" and never catch onto the irony that it is "don't tell a lie"... when the moral is just as likely "Always take emergencies seriously"... As the villagers are just as guilty as the boy.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 02:36:14 am by Neonivek »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116648 on: January 13, 2017, 03:32:07 am »

It's some flier from 1950s, in USA. It's interesting that the word "zombies" was already in use even back then.

Fun fact probably. 'Zombies' was a word used to refer to Canadian NEETs in WWII, many of whom got conscripted.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #116649 on: January 13, 2017, 04:07:08 am »

Then when are you even talking about yearwise, because prisons is a relatively recent idea. Before that, jail cells were mainly for holding people before trial/sentencing and until and during the sentence being carried out (which mostly took the form of corporeal and/or shaming punishments. The idea of imprisonment itself being a punishment becomes common around the same time as the idea of criminals being seen as a workforce becomes more or less universal.

And you still didn't say what your definition of torture is.

And lastly, the moral of that story isn't just "don't tell lies", it's "if you lie too much nobody will trust you when you tell the truth".

Likewise, your conclusion that the other villagers are "as guilty as the boy" is flawed, as the other villagers have no reason to help him beyond their brotherly love and willingness to help their neighbours. Once the boy had eroded their trust and confidence in his word (for no other reason that his own bemusement at that,  or as they say in the modern tongue, for the lulz) he only has himself to blame.

It's some flier from 1950s, in USA. It's interesting that the word "zombies" was already in use even back then.

Fun fact probably. 'Zombies' was a word used to refer to Canadian NEETs in WWII, many of whom got conscripted.

NEETs?
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116650 on: January 13, 2017, 04:18:17 am »

Then when are you even talking about yearwise, because prisons is a relatively recent idea

That is a LOOOOT less relative then my relative... Since "Prisons don't torture you" was stopped in what? Early 1900s? (Err wait... America had torture prisons a bit further then that... so 1980s? 1990s?)

Prisons as a place to hold criminals as the punishment? Is what? 1700s at least?

"you still didn't say what your definition of torture is"

Either physical torture... such as beating someone... Putting someone in Stocks certainly does count as one form of torture if you understand it was a bit more then just being uncomfortable.

Or Deep Psychological Torture... Which I am including prolonged Solitary as one.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 04:24:12 am by Neonivek »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116651 on: January 13, 2017, 04:39:47 am »

NEETs?

Not Employed, Education, Training. Mostly a japanese term I believe.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116652 on: January 13, 2017, 08:04:58 am »

Someone in my tabletop group is changing his character out for another character that's cribbing off of mine. He asked for help to build a character like mine but better.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #116653 on: January 13, 2017, 08:14:18 am »

Is there a manga discussion thread here? I can't find one. I need one though because I've been emotionally destroyed by a manga, but I also don't want to start a duplicate thread.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116654 on: January 13, 2017, 08:19:43 am »

There's the anime thread,where people discuss manga and sometimes VNs as well as anime.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7775 7776 [7777] 7778 7779 ... 11037