Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7774 7775 [7776] 7777 7778 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14470191 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #116625 on: January 12, 2017, 08:06:09 pm »

That actually predates Chick, it's good old-fashioned Red Scare. I think it was distributed by a radical Catholic group.

No, it's some flier from 1950s, in USA. It's interesting that the word "zombies" was already in use even back then.
Zombie had been in use for about 150 years at that point, it's derived from zumbi, the Kikongo word for fetish.

Which yes, does mean that if you make a pulp Western about cowboys fighting zombies, that their knowledge of the word and even the concept is historically accurate.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:08:08 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116626 on: January 12, 2017, 08:08:21 pm »

No, I mean, like, in a modern meaning of that word. I know that it's not a recent word, but I thought that it used to mean something significantly different.
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #116627 on: January 12, 2017, 08:12:28 pm »

Zumbi became Zombie through the practice of Haitian Voodoo, in reference to the alleged ability to resurrect corpses to be one's mindless slaves (the real version of this is basically lobotomizing them with nerotoxin so they become very vulnerable to suggestion and can't remember their identity, results may vary).

Zombie has always basically meant walking mindless corpse in people's minds. The change from Voodoo to Romero is making the zombies have no living master and making it spread like a disease instead of being a mystical process.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #116628 on: January 12, 2017, 08:21:54 pm »

snips
Zombie also comes from Kimbundo Zumbe, meaning spectre, ghost. In the late 17th century, the leader of a large (the largest) settlement of escaped slaves in colonial Brazil, Palmares, was called Zumbi (specifically Zumbi dos Palmares) for his skill at escaping death. His death was reported numerous times, only for him to resurface later, leading to the reputation that he was unkillable (thus, zombie-like). He only actually died in 1695, and was beheaded so his death could actually be confirmed.

So not only is the word pretty damn old, zombies needing to be beheaded or having their heads destroyed may be from similar tales.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #116629 on: January 12, 2017, 08:48:28 pm »

No, it's some flier from 1950s, in USA. It's interesting that the word "zombies" was already in use even back then.

I don't know how well known the film is in your country, but the dark-comedy classic Dr. Strangelove was built around a US General's paranoia about fluoridated water leading him to launch an all-out nuclear attack. Most people who see the film today don't realize people actually believed that fluoridation was a threat and just take it as a sign that General Jack D. Ripper was batshit.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #116630 on: January 12, 2017, 08:59:16 pm »

cringing horde of zombies
I did not expect Tumblr, of all things, to be predicted sixty years in advance.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116631 on: January 12, 2017, 09:17:00 pm »

Fluoridation is unhealthy, it's just not a supervillain-level communist plot to enslave the masses the way it's depicted there (as far as I know).
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #116632 on: January 12, 2017, 09:37:17 pm »

There is no empirical scientific evidence that fluoridation is unhealthy.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116633 on: January 12, 2017, 10:01:27 pm »

There is no empirical scientific evidence that fluoridation is unhealthy.
Aye.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116634 on: January 12, 2017, 11:28:27 pm »

You know websites if you don't want me using adblocker MAYBE don't make the advertisements break my browser or constantly spam at me.

----

Also are people just... completely unaware of the liberal use of torture in Old Tiome prisons?

I am seeing people go "Torture chamber? In a prison? Something must be going on here" and I am just like "No, that is pretty normal... In fact even modern prisons sometimes do some forms of torture".
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:48:05 pm by Neonivek »

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116635 on: January 13, 2017, 12:04:45 am »

Old Tiome
Are you trying to do like an Oirish accent kinda thing? Your 'i' and 'o' seem to be backwards. I made an effort to pronounce that, and ended up with "Ty-ohm".
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116636 on: January 13, 2017, 12:20:51 am »

Old Tiome
Are you trying to do like an Oirish accent kinda thing? Your 'i' and 'o' seem to be backwards. I made an effort to pronounce that, and ended up with "Ty-ohm".

I was trying to do the accent of the Super British... from Super England. Which is a lot like normal England except chimney sweeps still exist on large.

I can link you the reference >_> but I am not sure you would respect me afterwards. Lets just say somewhere on YouTube is the most British person EVER!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 12:24:35 am by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #116637 on: January 13, 2017, 12:34:40 am »

...you mean a cockney accent right?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116638 on: January 13, 2017, 12:55:04 am »

Old Tiome

I was trying to do the accent of the Super British... from Super England. Which is a lot like normal England except chimney sweeps still exist on large.

I can link you the reference >_> but I am not sure you would respect me afterwards. Lets just say somewhere on YouTube is the most British person EVER!
Is it, how you say, a certain pastry product of an all-encompassing nature? Or perhaps a certain top mark below another such mark?
I still think it's meant to be "toime", not "tiome".
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116639 on: January 13, 2017, 01:03:50 am »

...you mean a cockney accent right?

Kind of between Cockney and Queens English.
Pages: 1 ... 7774 7775 [7776] 7777 7778 ... 11037