Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7764 7765 [7766] 7767 7768 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14478046 times)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #116475 on: January 09, 2017, 10:55:52 am »

For some unknown reason, I recalled Eric Blank's quote about "butt fortress" and decided to google "how to grab things with your butt". The first result was WikiHow's article called "How to deal with a boyfriend who is obsessed with your butt". And only one search result was about grabbing thing with the butt.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #116476 on: January 09, 2017, 11:04:36 am »

I have this sudden and terrible urge to start a Winged Hussars Image thread where you just post winged hussars.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116477 on: January 09, 2017, 11:07:05 am »

...Go for it?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116478 on: January 09, 2017, 11:25:34 am »

My dad's watching this youtube channel that 'Debunks the hollywood kooks and liberal fake news.'

like fuck. 'who won the civil war? and what party was lincoln?' oh i dunno. fucking republican. but that was when the republicans were basically democrats. but oh no parties are static entities. nothing ever changes. just like how there's a federalist party or a whig party. nah, nah partites are always the same lol democrats are the real racists. fuck. i realize that's not the best graph and not the one i was looking for, but damnit the point stands. and also there was a bit about how he was dissecting the hand motions and that they're not for mocking one specific type of person. like. is... is mocking okay for the president now? i really wanted to ask my dad 'so uh. shouldn't the president set a better example?' but i was too afraid of starting an argument.

i'm not even sure i fit into any party, mainly because it all just seems like it's just a way to say 'you're with us or against us.'

* Iceblaster shruuuuugs.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #116479 on: January 09, 2017, 12:52:21 pm »

College finally declared a snow day. Wish I was attending when it happened :v

I also completely forgot to feed the animals last night and nobody asked me about it or reminded me. They were slightly grumpy this morning, but had to wait because I had to literally dig my way into the hay pile and storage shed.

Were also stuck because of this snow. Only one vehicle is unstuck, so if we go into town were all going together. And we desperately need to get stuff.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116480 on: January 09, 2017, 01:47:16 pm »

For some unknown reason, I recalled Eric Blank's quote about "butt fortress" and decided to google "how to grab things with your butt". The first result was WikiHow's article called "How to deal with a boyfriend who is obsessed with your butt". And only one search result was about grabbing thing with the butt.

What have you kids done with the internet in my day there would be at least 16 results.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116481 on: January 09, 2017, 02:37:52 pm »

Ok WHY THE HECK is it whenever a show or movie creates a "Peaceful primative society" that stands opposite to a technologically supperior one...

That the Primative society doesn't seem to have to work hard, at all, for the bare nessisities... Like food, clothes, shelter, and what have you... or you know... Die of infection... Or find hot days hot, cold days cold... Get bitten by mosquitos, stung by bees, poisoned by insects... have famine...

It is as if writers have this idea that farming is just putting a seed into the ground and waiting for it to sprout into a potato, shirts, and innoculation shots.

The ONLY time I've seen this remotely justified is in a Star Trek movie... Except that was even worse because the primative society has a magic field that made crops work EXACTLY like that and thus they have this needless sense of smug supperiority in spite of the fact that their way of life is only possible BECAUSE of the unique situation rather then because "Technology is bad".

Heck even Avatar was particularly bad in this respect... The Navi would have had to eat TONS to maintain their metabolism but as we see, they don't really have to do much to eat at all.

Seriously buzz off with all these Idylic "technologyless" societies/towns...

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116482 on: January 09, 2017, 02:45:53 pm »

Depends on the primitive society;

Hunter-Gatherer societies before agriculture were much healthier and had higher average lifespans and happiness than agricultural ones; it's just that you can support 100x greater density of people with agriculture. Disease was less common, famine was often less common, overpopulation was usually handled via infanticide (since in a nomadic society, it's hard to support more than one kid who can't walk at a time).

Plus, it might just be that they enjoy their work and so it doesn't seem like work, unlike modern jobs which pound you with stress.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116483 on: January 09, 2017, 02:47:46 pm »

Hunter-Gatherer societies before agriculture were much healthier and had higher average lifespans and happiness than agricultural ones;

That is because a Hunter-Gatherer society didn't eat nothing but grain the majority of the time.

And Hunters often would have to hunt for days on end... They didn't just shoot an arrow outside their hut and catch a boar.

As for "It might be that they enjoy their work"

You know... if liking your work somehow made it take 75% less time and effort. You know those farmers always playing throughout the day, only needing to chase off crows maybe once.

---

Also your missing a key thing here.

"Technologyless" in quotations :P

Typically that can mean everything from Amish to Hunter-Gatherer. They will just always say "withotu technology" even though... tools are technology.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:51:39 pm by Neonivek »

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116484 on: January 09, 2017, 02:52:44 pm »

Hunter-Gatherer societies before agriculture were much healthier and had higher average lifespans and happiness than agricultural ones; it's just that you can support 100x greater density of people with agriculture. Disease was less common, famine was often less common, overpopulation was usually handled via infanticide (since in a nomadic society, it's hard to support more than one kid who can't walk at a time).

Plus, it might just be that they enjoy their work and so it doesn't seem like work, unlike modern jobs which pound you with stress.
Your basic premise about disease/famine being less common with less population density seems sound. I'm not sure where you get the data about health/lifespan and especially happiness in hunter-gatherer societies, though.
Also I must protest against the "modern jobs that pound you with stress" bit. Sure, some do, but then, some don't. And I am quite sure that if your chief wants you to gather two kilos of berries before sunset or he will kick you in the groin, you get stressed. What I mean is, you have the opportunity to enjoy your work in the modern world, and to get stressed while hunting/gathering, and vice versa, and I'm not sure how these things compare numerically.

Ninja'd, apparently.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:56:06 pm by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #116485 on: January 09, 2017, 03:09:21 pm »

I think you guys missed Neo's point: in fiction, primitive societies are depicted as effortless, even though in reality they would require working all day long just for basic sustenance. The people are rarely seen doing any actual hunting or gathering or farming, and even if they are, they're shown working for maybe a couple of hours before they're done for the week.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116486 on: January 09, 2017, 03:18:43 pm »

I think you guys missed Neo's point: in fiction, primitive societies are depicted as effortless, even though in reality they would require working all day long just for basic sustenance. The people are rarely seen doing any actual hunting or gathering or farming, and even if they are, they're shown working for maybe a couple of hours before they're done for the week.
I think we all get that. Rolepgeek was just expanding on it re: actual historical societies. I think so, at least.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116487 on: January 09, 2017, 03:24:29 pm »

So I've watched some CS:GO gameplay (by the way of watching random bullshit videos), and... you can apparently (or could, maybe they patched it) fire a machinegun full-auto with barely any recoil or spread. What?!
._.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #116488 on: January 09, 2017, 03:48:58 pm »

What have you kids done with the internet in my day there would be at least 16 results.

Oh hai, Dunamisdeos! I remember your reveal of the secrets of my magical technique, called "Birdbending". That yellow birdie was cute!

Anyway, how's your sex lyfe?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116489 on: January 09, 2017, 03:59:14 pm »

So I've watched some CS:GO gameplay (by the way of watching random bullshit videos), and... you can apparently (or could, maybe they patched it) fire a machinegun full-auto with barely any recoil or spread. What?!

Thats because of the run and gun updates of a while back. It made full auto on most guns easier to control. Back when I played you could barely hit anything by running around in full auto.

CS:GO has never been a milsim anyway.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 7764 7765 [7766] 7767 7768 ... 11037