Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7761 7762 [7763] 7764 7765 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14479052 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #116430 on: January 07, 2017, 11:08:10 pm »

I think all the computers in my life had at least a sound blaster.  Although Sim Farm had straight up PC speaker beep music.

Yep back in DOS era that occurs... It even startles me when I do find a game that uses it like Super Solvers outnumbers and Midnight Rescue.

Oddly enough even as an adult I like Outnumbered... If the ingame calculator worked I'd still play.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116431 on: January 07, 2017, 11:12:52 pm »

Someone remembered Super Solvers.
That's it, that's the WTF.  ;_;
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #116432 on: January 07, 2017, 11:18:44 pm »

so today i watched the new star wars movie
and wtf!?
on the middle of the movie they are on a planet called JEDAAH or something like it the place is clearly an alusion to the middle west confront
it even has evil people on turbans!

what the hell?????
why put something so racist on a sw movie????
You might want to refocus. Saw's partisans are more morally ambiguous compared to the Rebellion proper, but they definitely aren't more evil than the Empire. If anything it's an anti-American message, since the Empire exterminates them.
+Jedha fits the SW lore surrounding kyber crystals pretty well.

I'd also question the logic of labeling "rebels and oppressive state are fighting over a desert city and some of the rebels wear head-scarfs" as racist. Both of those things (people killing each other over their differences, people wearing sensible clothing) tend to be pretty universal.

And yeah, y'know, if you're going to bash SW movies for racism, the prequels line all the ducks up in a row for you.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #116433 on: January 07, 2017, 11:42:33 pm »

I call Sprite lemonade, simply because it's what I've grown up with.

But I'm aware that Sprite isn't real lemonade, because Lemonade is the drink with actual lemons in it.

I don't think that it's really that big of a deal, because they're both fairly distinct, it's just in certain areas, Sprite's called lemonade. We don't really have Lemonade around here (unless you count MelloYello, but that's just a lemony soft drink), so I imagine it'd be confusing for a lot of people.

The more WTF thing for me is that people are that surprised by continental differences :P
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116434 on: January 08, 2017, 01:38:34 am »

I think all the computers in my life had at least a sound blaster.  Although Sim Farm had straight up PC speaker beep music.

Yep back in DOS era that occurs... It even startles me when I do find a game that uses it like Super Solvers outnumbers and Midnight Rescue.

Oddly enough even as an adult I like Outnumbered... If the ingame calculator worked I'd still play.

All the different sound cards installers gave you to choose from. Sound Blaster 16, Sound Blaster Pro, AdLib, AWE 32, Pro Audio Spectrum. Thankfully games had leeway as I never knew what to choose.

Listening to some other PC speaker, Monkey Island 2 is rather impressive.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #116435 on: January 08, 2017, 01:59:44 am »

and wtf!?
on the middle of the movie they are on a planet called JEDAAH or something like it the place is clearly an alusion to the middle west confront

what the hell?????
You might want to refocus. Saw's partisans are more morally ambiguous compared to the Rebellion proper, but they definitely aren't more evil than the Empire. If anything it's an anti-American message, since the Empire exterminates them.

I'd also question the logic of labeling "rebels and oppressive state are fighting over a desert city and some of the rebels wear head-scarfs" as racist. Both of those things (people killing each other over their differences, people wearing sensible clothing) tend to be pretty universal.

And yeah, y'know, if you're going to bash SW movies for racism, the prequels line all the ducks up in a row for you.
I thought it was weird.  I'm not opposed to the idea of SW drawing comparisons to real life events, but.  If they were going to go there they shoulda, you know, gone there.  The plot outline of it is fine but the execution is half baked and vague, bad news for dealing with a heavy issue.  And in terms of cinematography the splinter group was definitely portrayed as evil, they had a LOT of villainy moments for secondary characters with ~10 minutes screen time.  They would have been totally at home as muslim terrorists in a generic military thriller.

Remember, these guys get almost no screen time and one of them still tried to throw a grenade at a 10 year old.  (yeah he probably didn't know, still counts, audience saw it.  Why do you think batman never runs anyone over driving a motorcycle indoors?  Cause he's a good guy)

The whole Jedha segment in general felt unearned.  It has a lot of big moments:
all kinda spoiled by the fact that it hinges on the character of a guy who doesn't do anything ever.  All he does is
Spoiler: still spoilers (click to show/hide)
I feel like that segment should have been replaced with something else or fleshed out.  The characters and plot advancements introduced there could have been easily included somewhere else much quicker and the movie's main fault (I actually really like Rogue One) is that the beginning throws a bunch of planet and character names at you that all vanish 1/3rd of the way in.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116436 on: January 08, 2017, 03:15:53 am »

working in a kitchen like that will fuck you up

i would not be surprised if when i finally move on with my life, i leave with some kind of permanent trauma

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116437 on: January 08, 2017, 04:56:10 am »

> We don't really have Lemonade around here

You can't not have lemonade around there. It's literally just lemon juice + sugar, preferably cold. Anyone can make it themselves with minimal effort.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #116438 on: January 08, 2017, 05:37:40 am »

PC Speaker had only one square wave channel. I have mine connected since it is used by the PC to beep error codes in cases of things like overheating and the like.
It was used to play music, I think the best of which is the theme for "Ski Or Die" by Rob Hubbard.

You can use them to play more motivational songa.

Such as this beautiful church hymn by I. Ron  Butterfly https://youtu.be/MT1GmcdXaYo
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116439 on: January 08, 2017, 05:46:55 am »

PC Speaker was a huge step down from the SID chip in the C64/128.

SB16 was pretty cool though. My dad got one of those for his 486 which we played DOS games on.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #116440 on: January 08, 2017, 09:05:59 am »

> We don't really have Lemonade around here

You can't not have lemonade around there. It's literally just lemon juice + sugar, preferably cold. Anyone can make it themselves with minimal effort.
I meant as in, nobody really makes Lemonade. People could, yes, but nobody seems to, and it's not in stores or anything.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #116441 on: January 08, 2017, 09:06:57 am »

Due to quirks of language differences, a lemon in portuguese is what you'd call a lime. So lemonade is lime juice. Actually pretty good stuff.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116442 on: January 08, 2017, 09:18:24 am »

Due to quirks of language differences, a lemon in portuguese is what you'd call a lime. So lemonade is lime juice. Actually pretty good stuff.
Does it also include some sugar water to cut the sourness a bit? Because here in the States we call that "limeade" :P
It *is* really good though.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #116443 on: January 08, 2017, 09:25:40 am »

Does it also include some sugar water to cut the sourness a bit? Because here in the States we call that "limeade" :P
It *is* really good though.
Sometimes. It is often up to the person consuming it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #116444 on: January 08, 2017, 10:20:35 am »

and wtf!?

what the hell?????

I thought it was weird.  I'm not opposed to the idea of SW drawing comparisons to real life events, but.  If they were going to go there they shoulda, you know, gone there.  The plot outline of it is fine but the execution is half baked and vague, bad news for dealing with a heavy issue.  And in terms of cinematography the splinter group was definitely portrayed as evil, they had a LOT of villainy moments for secondary characters with ~10 minutes screen time.  They would have been totally at home as muslim terrorists in a generic military thriller.

Remember, these guys get almost no screen time and one of them still tried to throw a grenade at a 10 year old.  (yeah he probably didn't know, still counts, audience saw it.  Why do you think batman never runs anyone over driving a motorcycle indoors?  Cause he's a good guy)

The whole Jedha segment in general felt unearned.  It has a lot of big moments:
all kinda spoiled by the fact that it hinges on the character of a guy who doesn't do anything ever.  All he does is
Spoiler: still spoilers (click to show/hide)
I feel like that segment should have been replaced with something else or fleshed out.  The characters and plot advancements introduced there could have been easily included somewhere else much quicker and the movie's main fault (I actually really like Rogue One) is that the beginning throws a bunch of planet and character names at you that all vanish 1/3rd of the way in.

Oh, don't get me wrong, that whole section of the movie was pretty shit and poorly strung together. It just wasn't bad-'cuz-raysis.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 7761 7762 [7763] 7764 7765 ... 11037