Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7760 7761 [7762] 7763 7764 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14477991 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #116415 on: January 07, 2017, 08:21:01 pm »

PC Speaker had only one square wave channel. I have mine connected since it is used by the PC to beep error codes in cases of things like overheating and the like.
It was used to play music, I think the best of which is the theme for "Ski Or Die" by Rob Hubbard.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116416 on: January 07, 2017, 08:44:27 pm »

I played through the entirety of Doom 2 (and ep1 of Doom1) with pc speaker. 

Because I just for the life of me could not get my soundblaster card to work right with it.  I'm thinking I just didn't know enough about computers at the time to put in the manual settings, and the auto didn't work.   I played it via lan with some friends all the time.   You don't know fear until you hear the old PC speaker sound of a BFG9000.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116417 on: January 07, 2017, 08:48:12 pm »

The only game where I turn music/sound off for is Daggerfall. Daggerfall has terrifying sounds. Its got full-throated screams from skeletons, glitchy whinnies from centaurs and RANDOM DOOR CREAKING even when no doors are being opened. Besides that, the shop music is one of the most terrible pieces of music I've ever heard, with an excellent combination of shrillness, repetitiveness and volume.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116418 on: January 07, 2017, 08:51:48 pm »

PC Speaker had only one square wave channel. I have mine connected since it is used by the PC to beep error codes in cases of things like overheating and the like.
It was used to play music, I think the best of which is the theme for "Ski Or Die" by Rob Hubbard.
Okay yeah, that takes me back.  Not to that game specifically, but Scorched Earth and stuff.
That's pretty rad for one... channel?  This is embarrassing, my dad's a total audiophile but I barely picked up the terms :P

I do think the Secret of Monkey Island theme almost sounds better in midi, possibly due to nostalgia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3dB0qEcG20
Though the remastered version is pretty sweet, too.
The Amiga version is fun too, like a wacky remix of the midi version heh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #116419 on: January 07, 2017, 09:20:29 pm »

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116420 on: January 07, 2017, 09:23:57 pm »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116421 on: January 07, 2017, 09:26:40 pm »

That is really weird, and I don't even like lemonade (sweet lemon-juice...) or Sprite.  I mean, Sprite comes in green bottles, and I think it's clear (I choked on some unexpected soda when I was little, think it was Sprite).

Lemonade just seems pretty straightforward, idk.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #116422 on: January 07, 2017, 09:35:21 pm »

Having grown up in the U.K., the suffix "-ade" meant sweet and fizzy flavored soda.

If America calls freshly squeezed lemon juice lemonade, why is orange juice not known as orangeade?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116423 on: January 07, 2017, 09:36:16 pm »

Having grown up in the U.K., the suffix "-ade" meant sweet and fizzy flavored soda.

If America calls freshly squeezed lemon juice lemonade, why is orange juice not known as orangeade?
lemonade has sugar its not just lemon juice.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116424 on: January 07, 2017, 09:41:48 pm »

Okay yeah, that takes me back.  Not to that game specifically, but Scorched Earth and stuff.
That's pretty rad for one... channel?  This is embarrassing, my dad's a total audiophile but I barely picked up the terms :P

I do think the Secret of Monkey Island theme almost sounds better in midi, possibly due to nostalgia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3dB0qEcG20
Though the remastered version is pretty sweet, too.
The Amiga version is fun too, like a wacky remix of the midi version heh.

Well, I'm not sure if channel is the right term. Unlike, say, the Commodore 64 that could play three different waves at the same time the PC Speaker could only do one at a time. Some games, like Commander Keen 1-3, had good sound effects for jumping, shooting and falling but no music.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116425 on: January 07, 2017, 10:03:31 pm »

its actually great, try some. leave your old ways and join us in the true ways.

Spoiler: True lemonade (click to show/hide)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #116426 on: January 07, 2017, 10:05:41 pm »

It's not that great. It kinda sits in a dull area between sweet flavour and sour flavour that eliminates what's good about both :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116427 on: January 07, 2017, 10:07:19 pm »

Well, you're wrong. Actual lemonade can be really nice.

In other WTFery: somehow after getting completely smashed to the point of passing out and ejected from the venue yesterday I was able to get my shit together, make the trek to another club (where I somehow seemed sober enough to get in) and meet up with friends with whom I danced intensely for numerous hours and had a grand time.
Good job, Yoink. You at least partly redeemed yourself for your earlier hopelessness.   

Edit: That "you're wrong" part was actually meant to be directed at Covenant, not the ninja, but it still fits so whatever.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #116428 on: January 07, 2017, 10:10:46 pm »

Wait, what? Is that like. A thing? I've never had a PC(that wasn't a laptop) that's had a beeping thing. Is it more common on older PCs? because if so, then i've obviously never experienced it :P

Until the rise of add-on soundcards in 1989 (music cards were available a little earlier), the only sound you could get out of an IBM PC was via a tinny on/off beeper that was intended only for POST tones and error codes. Even then, it wasn't until well into the Windows 95 era that sound support was universal, because the first few generations of card were very expensive.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116429 on: January 07, 2017, 10:44:16 pm »

I think all the computers in my life had at least a sound blaster.  Although Sim Farm had straight up PC speaker beep music.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 7760 7761 [7762] 7763 7764 ... 11037