Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7758 7759 [7760] 7761 7762 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14479961 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #116385 on: January 06, 2017, 11:55:40 pm »

I mean, if the police try to stop the car for some reason and realize the driver ("responsible passenger"?) is not responding.

The solution will probably be some kind of override, but then you need to deal with unauthorized use of the override...
I wouldn't give the car a wireless override, because that's a massive fucking security hole and exactly how you get hackers remote controlling your car. The AI can just emulate human behaviour and pull over when there's flashing blue lights behind it.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116386 on: January 07, 2017, 12:00:32 am »

Me:

Sweet, I just got tyranny.

* plays 50 minutes of tyranny

Thats cool, oh, I also got x-piratez running

* plays 4 hours of x-piratez
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116387 on: January 07, 2017, 12:03:18 am »

Think about it: Someone falls asleep (or dies of a heart attack) in their car, how will the cops stop it (before it reaches its destination)?

Well, if somebody dies in a manual car, they'll either crash or just stop in the middle of the road, causing a hazard. If somebody's being an idiot or doing something illegal, then the cops start chasing them and they speed and go through neighborhoods and probably end up hitting peds/other cars/property.

I hardly see how "waiting for the car to stop" is worse than what we have now.
I mean, if the police try to stop the car for some reason and realize the driver ("responsible passenger"?) is not responding.

The solution will probably be some kind of override, but then you need to deal with unauthorized use of the override...
I wouldn't give the car a wireless override, because that's a massive fucking security hole and exactly how you get hackers remote controlling your car. The AI can just emulate human behaviour and pull over when there's flashing blue lights behind it.
...Someone falling asleep in their car and the car continuing to drive on is working as intended IMHO.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #116388 on: January 07, 2017, 12:05:38 am »

Ye, whats the point of a car you dont drive if you have to pay attention to it the whole time, like you would when you werw driving
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #116389 on: January 07, 2017, 12:17:08 am »

Huh, well that's useful.  Maybe if it's a shelter rescue it learned that from a previous family?
Nah, we got him when he was a pup, my mom taught him a lot of tricks, so I guess he just got good at figuring out keywords and such.
Though he's highly protective, especially against other dogs, if he's on the lead he's extremely defensive while off the lead he's rather friendly, and there's a machine we have that makes carbonated water, and since it makes this distinctive hissing sound he'll start barking at it whenever it's on.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116390 on: January 07, 2017, 12:30:35 am »

Pretty sure current self driving cars can already be overridden in various ways*.  Maybe difficult for a single person to have all the tools nessesary, but a well funded police department should have the tools to remotely disable all the car's navigation systems if self driving cars got prevalent enough.

Additional coding for emergency lights probably isn't even necessary.  I think they are already programmed to pull off to the side of the road when an active emergency services vehicle is detected. (It's illegal to not pull out of the way in most places after all.)
If I understand correctly self driving cars will also slow to a stop if boxed in in front and all legal driving lanes.  It won't attempt to actively evade a slow controlled stop that the police already know how to perform, just with a self driving car it won't be trying to evade like an actual driver does.  Ideally there will be less reasons for the police to try to stop someone in a car anyway.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 12:32:53 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #116391 on: January 07, 2017, 03:15:13 am »

Girl friend just asked me for phone sex. Not sure what to do now. This is going to be awkward tomorrow.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116392 on: January 07, 2017, 03:25:36 am »

time to lurk elsewhere

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116393 on: January 07, 2017, 03:28:52 am »

Just text 8===3 a bunch.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #116394 on: January 07, 2017, 03:53:38 am »

I've read more books in the last two weeks than the vast majority of people will read this year, and probably a fair number will ever read. I clocked my reading speed, and it came in at over 660WPM. This is mildly unnerving.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116395 on: January 07, 2017, 03:56:25 am »

I've read more books in the last two weeks than the vast majority of people will read this year

So... two :P

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116396 on: January 07, 2017, 04:13:17 am »

I've read more books in the last two weeks than the vast majority of people will read this year, and probably a fair number will ever read. I clocked my reading speed, and it came in at over 660WPM. This is mildly unnerving.
Go you!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #116397 on: January 07, 2017, 07:58:15 am »

Girl friend just asked me for phone sex. Not sure what to do now. This is going to be awkward tomorrow.
Whatever you do, do it safe. At the very least put a condom over your phone.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116398 on: January 07, 2017, 10:33:30 am »

Whatever you do, do it safe. At the very least put a condom over your phone.

Use eggplants instead of cocks. You wouldn't want to confuse cocks with hens and accidentally text her hens instead, that could get embarrassing.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116399 on: January 07, 2017, 01:41:05 pm »

dude talk about her butt
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 7758 7759 [7760] 7761 7762 ... 11037