Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7747 7748 [7749] 7750 7751 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14485263 times)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #116220 on: January 03, 2017, 10:01:10 am »

the categories for the steam awards were incredibly nebulous and poorly defined anyway

like, what the fuck was 'whoaaa dude' supposed to mean and why the fuck were any of those games the nominees?

based off of name alone and the award graphic, i'd expect something more like hotline miami, but it seems like basically zero thought went into defining the category, so naturally all the choices were just well-selling games released relatively recently

if anything, the fact that an rts from the 90s made it into the top running for a fucking popularity contest at all speaks more than the fact that it didn't 'win'

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116221 on: January 03, 2017, 10:12:06 am »

Counterstrike was going strong even before its HD remake as "GO" in 2012.  I don't care for competitive shooters anymore, but it'd fit well just by popularity vs age.

Vaguely related, Steam has this really nice list of what 100 games people have been playing over the past 48 hours:
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

It's neat to see the older games mixed in with newer ones. 
TF2 is still going strong of course, but it gets constant updates. 
L4D2 is doing well for 2009, and not being updated.
ARK is doing a lot better than I expected, though it's hardly old.
Garry's Mod is #9!  Though it's more a framework for game development (I doubt it's that popular as a mere sandbox anymore)
AoE2 is next to Dark Souls 3.  AoE3 is not in the top 100 lol... but I like AoE3...

Just some fun data to overanalyze conclusions out of, though a couple bits might be surprising.  I think CS (in one form or another) has been in the top 3 constantly for years, occasionally getting pushed aside temporarily by massively-hyped new games.  And more recently, by DoTA2 of course.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116222 on: January 03, 2017, 10:18:05 am »

wow i honestly didn't expect eu4 to be so high on that list

also fair point about counter strike, but it wasn't even in the running for test of time

interestingly enough, going purely by steam release date, aoe2 was actually the most recent game in that category

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116223 on: January 03, 2017, 10:33:35 am »

I always felt a little iffy about buying games that don't officially support my platform. Like, when I buy a game that has Linux support, I'm kind of paying for the assurance that it works out the box, and if it doesn't I can refund it. If I have to screw around with wine to maybe-possibly make it run, it's just not something I wanna pay for.

I also do not feel that people who made the decision not to support Linux should benefit from my patronage. It's like, I'm not making this out to be a moral choice, I understand that devs have their own business decisions to make, but I'm like "Yeah, yeah, I totally understand, bye, ring me if you put a Linux version out, have a good day." And perhaps that way they will in the long run decide that it's worth it to support my platform. I don't see how giving them my money anyway will help them see that.

E: and also all those "We have a linux build but we do not support it officially, wanna buy it anyway?" people, like, what? You want me to pay to do your beta testing for you? Come on.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 10:35:13 am by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #116224 on: January 03, 2017, 10:44:05 am »

Counterstrike was going strong even before its HD remake as "GO" in 2012.  I don't care for competitive shooters anymore, but it'd fit well just by popularity vs age.

Vaguely related, Steam has this really nice list of what 100 games people have been playing over the past 48 hours:
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

It's neat to see the older games mixed in with newer ones. 
TF2 is still going strong of course, but it gets constant updates. 
L4D2 is doing well for 2009, and not being updated.
ARK is doing a lot better than I expected, though it's hardly old.
Garry's Mod is #9!  Though it's more a framework for game development (I doubt it's that popular as a mere sandbox anymore)
AoE2 is next to Dark Souls 3.  AoE3 is not in the top 100 lol... but I like AoE3...

Just some fun data to overanalyze conclusions out of, though a couple bits might be surprising.  I think CS (in one form or another) has been in the top 3 constantly for years, occasionally getting pushed aside temporarily by massively-hyped new games.  And more recently, by DoTA2 of course.

GO wasn't an HD update though, it was a remake that completely castrated the game, designed from the ground up to appeal to CoD kiddies. Both 1.6 and Source are infinitely superior to that trash. They even managed to fuck up GunGame. If they'd included zescape as an official mode it would probably have been closer to a knockoff of L4D competitive multiplayer.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116225 on: January 03, 2017, 10:57:49 am »

Didn't CSGo remove the silly "Knives make you faster" aspect?

I am always weary of the "elite" saying something was ruined by appealing to sucky people. Since SOMETIMES it is more that they removed the exploits, glitches, and bugs that they relied on for the metagame...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116226 on: January 03, 2017, 11:10:53 am »

I don't see any issue with stowing your gun to move faster...  Seems realistic and, more importantly, adds depth to the gameplay.

I do get that when a game has too much depth, it can be impenetrable to new players.  That's why I don't play competitive RTS except very casually with friends...  Still fun to watch, though!  I'd watch competitive FPS too but I did that enough in college :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116227 on: January 03, 2017, 11:11:22 am »

snip

oh yeah for sure, but most of this stuff is shit i had already bought at some point in the past

when i first started using linux, there was no linux version of steam, so it was wine or nothing, and then there was a decent period where i only used linux on secondary computers, with a windows machine for gaming

but now that i'm back to linux on my primary rig, this one massive flaw in the linux steam version that really has no right to exist is really getting on my nerves

like i said, it'd be less work at this point to just pirate the games and run them (many, if not most of them, perfectly) through wine directly than to deal with all the workarounds i'd have to deal with through steam

if nothing else, it's nice that so many games (the bulk of my library, even) support linux now, but there's still no reason for this to be a problem

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116228 on: January 03, 2017, 11:14:56 am »

I bet someone has already done the legwork for that, ein.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116229 on: January 03, 2017, 11:16:07 am »

i found a python script on the aur that lets you slightly less manually create appmanifest files and force steam to download them

but it requires you to have your steam profile set to public, which i do not

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116230 on: January 03, 2017, 11:17:58 am »

Okay, so...All you need to do is fix the script so it works on a particular private profile?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116231 on: January 03, 2017, 11:19:57 am »

i don't think it works that way

it needs to be public so it can access your profile to see what games you have so it knows what to create the appmanifest files for

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116232 on: January 03, 2017, 11:28:17 am »

Oh.

Uhh...What does it need to see what games you have from your profile?
Sigtext

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116233 on: January 03, 2017, 11:33:08 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OHH thank goodness my internet came back up just in time to censor this. Do not look in spoiler it is an incoherent rant.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 12:09:03 pm by Neonivek »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116234 on: January 03, 2017, 11:50:36 am »

Oh.

Uhh...What does it need to see what games you have from your profile?

it accesses your /games page on your steam profile, and extracts a list of appids from that

but if your profile is private, nothing can access that except for you when you're logged into your account

an obvious workaround is to have the data still there, but hide it if you have your profile set to private, which would make scripts like this, or that one site that calculates the total value of every game in your steam library work, but if you did that, it wouldn't really be private now, would it?

and of course, i could always just set my profile to public, but then the point still stands that i'm using a fucking third-party python script to slightly expedite the process of tricking steam into downloading my games that i paid for with my money so i can run them on my computer
Pages: 1 ... 7747 7748 [7749] 7750 7751 ... 11037