Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7745 7746 [7747] 7748 7749 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14483949 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #116190 on: January 02, 2017, 11:05:18 pm »

Wow yeah, Skyrim?  That's absolutely ridiculous.  Personally I'd go with Alpha Centauri, but AoE2 is fair too.  I'm just a scrub at it, it's fun to watch experts play...  Substantially better than watching Starcraft 1, even, which I also enjoy.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #116191 on: January 02, 2017, 11:06:05 pm »

What were the other nominees for that?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #116192 on: January 02, 2017, 11:11:49 pm »

Test of Time going to Skyrim instead of AoEII was a farce.

AoEII still has a solid multiplayer and competitive scene 17 years after launch. Skyrim is barely five years old and propped up solely by one of the biggest modding communities in the world.
A modding communities that, in many instances, is focused on making Skyrim more like other games, no less.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #116193 on: January 02, 2017, 11:19:41 pm »

AoEII still has a solid multiplayer and competitive scene 17 years after launch. Skyrim is barely five years old and propped up solely by one of the biggest modding communities in the world.
I was wondering why too (despite never having played AoEII and having played Skyrim, I did vote for AoEII :P)

Maybe people were voting in prediction for the future given the current support/memory now in contrast?

What were the other nominees for that?
I don't exactly remember, but weren't all the nominees also chosen by the community? I remember reading about this a bit ago when people started nominating HL2 for "most needs a sequel" en masse.
Yep! (There was also seemingly a steam badge or something for those who did nominate...I never knew one could nominate at anytime though >_>) But everything seems to be chosen by the community at large.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116194 on: January 02, 2017, 11:22:10 pm »

Has procedural generation been a big things for mainstream games recently? I always thought it was more of a niche, indy type thing.

It really started to get public attention with Spore.

You know what's also Procedural generation(ing)? DF

Though yeah, it really started getting used as a 'ooh look! Shiny new chrome!' kind of thing and as a marketing gimmick somewhat with Spore, but procedural generation probably does it's best work in the background with things than being THE feature being touted.

It's really funny how common that is around here since, y'know, this is the Dwarf Fortress forum. But yeah, most lowerboarders (at least the ones that hang out around the emotion threads and whatnot) haven't played DF in a fair bit, save for the short stint. Major exceptions would probs be Putnam or Gunner-chan.

I haven't played DF in a while either.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 11:30:37 pm by smjjames »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116195 on: January 02, 2017, 11:29:07 pm »

I know it is silly but I am always amazed by how... well... mammals at least have full psychologies.
? ? ?

I don't understand the question. O_o?
...Full psychologies? o_O

It's really funny how common that is around here since, y'know, this is the Dwarf Fortress forum. But yeah, most lowerboarders (at least the ones that hang out around the emotion threads and whatnot) haven't played DF in a fair bit, save for the short stint. Major exceptions would probs be Putnam or Gunner-chan.
Aaaand other folks too~ :P
I still play the game on and off here, but something I still look back to because it matches most things I idly wonder about that could help efficiency--like those 'room only stockpile zones' and such.

I may not post on the upper boards anymore but I still play a lot of DF, although I seem to've hit some sort of reverse learning cliff where I suddenly regularly do things like forget set up a farm or flood the fortress because I put a depressurizer in the wrong place.

On the other hand I'm not sure what business DF has even being in the running for the Steam awards considering it isn't sold on Steam.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116196 on: January 02, 2017, 11:32:47 pm »

I still binge play sometimes, building a fortess for a week, then deleting it due to FPS lag and waiting till the next update.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116197 on: January 02, 2017, 11:52:23 pm »

I haven't really played much DF ever.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116198 on: January 03, 2017, 12:09:35 am »

I know it is silly but I am always amazed by how... well... mammals at least have full psychologies.
? ? ?

I often lie awake at night, worrying about Neonivek's social skills. Does he walk up to people IRL and say stuff like that exact quote, which is clearly incomprehensible without being party to the context of his own thoughts. Clearly, he believes we have enough context to decipher that, which suggests that he's not considering "my knowledge vs other's knowledge" very well.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #116199 on: January 03, 2017, 12:19:50 am »

I personally wonder if the ellipses and capitals are indicative of how he actually speaks.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116200 on: January 03, 2017, 12:20:38 am »

I'm still salty about that, yeah. AoEII is the only game out of the nominees that really stood out at me for standing the test of time. What other games get new patches and DLC 5 years after they're released, let alone 17? Rise of the Rajas came out this December, so it's not like AoEII got an HD update and then was completely ignored.

I needed to vent. Sorry about that.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #116201 on: January 03, 2017, 12:21:15 am »

? ? ?

I often lie awake at night, worrying about Neonivek's social skills. Does he walk up to people IRL and say stuff like that exact quote, which is clearly incomprehensible without being party to the context of his own thoughts. Clearly, he believes we have enough context to decipher that, which suggests that he's not considering "my knowledge vs other's knowledge" very well.

I played a few sessions of D&D with Neonivek DMing a while back and he was perfectly clear and understandable in voice comms, no confusing or vague statements at all. I think it's just the way he writes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #116202 on: January 03, 2017, 12:31:14 am »

I suspect Neonivek is just doing much the same thing RAM did back in the day: intentionally communicating in a specific style at first as trolling but eventually as habit.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #116203 on: January 03, 2017, 02:45:48 am »

I'm still salty about that, yeah. AoEII is the only game out of the nominees that really stood out at me for standing the test of time. What other games get new patches and DLC 5 years after they're released, let alone 17? Rise of the Rajas came out this December, so it's not like AoEII got an HD update and then was completely ignored.

I needed to vent. Sorry about that.

What's AoEII
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #116204 on: January 03, 2017, 03:13:24 am »

Age Of Empires II, one of the classics of the RTS genre, even though Empire Earth is better.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 7745 7746 [7747] 7748 7749 ... 11037