Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7742 7743 [7744] 7745 7746 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14486535 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #116145 on: January 02, 2017, 09:59:58 am »

Ugh, is that why Tasha Yar got killed off so suddenly?  Shame, I liked her character.  Her backstory was really fucking dark for Star Trek, and they took it in unexpected directions sometimes.

Also, as much as I don't like TOS, the movies were really great!  Better than The Next Generation ones which were hit-or-miss.
Undiscovered Country and Wrath of Khan really put Generations to shame...  Well, I didn't like Generations.  They're better than First Contact, which I did like.  The Search For Spock was alright too.  They had these grand, galaxy-effecting plots without silly heaven-energy-fields.

Also while I think Voyager is my favorite...  I still haven't gotten around to seeing DS9 yet, and Voyager does have a few really awful episodes.  And Janeway carries the idiot ball a lot... at first!  Character development!  (Picard does too, before TNG fully broke from its TOS roots).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #116146 on: January 02, 2017, 10:14:03 am »

WTF: No Man's Buy is listed on Steam's Top 100 Best Sellers of 2016. Even though it was, you'd think that they would just remove it on principle.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116147 on: January 02, 2017, 10:55:41 am »

No Man's Buy is listed on Steam's Top 100 Best Sellers of 2016.

It was somewhere in the top twelve, no less.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116148 on: January 02, 2017, 11:20:13 am »

Just got attacked by a pair of dogs roaming the streets. One of them bit me in the back of lower thigh. The skin is broken, although it didn't damage my pants. We eventually tracked down their owner as one of his neighbors was fetching the dogs. Immediately after dropping the dogs off, they were back running down the street. After confirming the address while calling the police, we saw someone leaving the house to go fetch them again. As we got home, the sounds of two dogs barking suggested that they got out again, and we later saw the same person driving down our street.

Still waiting on an officer to show up to make the report, then possibly off to the hospital for a tetanus shot.

No Man's Buy is listed on Steam's Top 100 Best Sellers of 2016.

It was somewhere in the top twelve, no less.

To be fair, a lot of people bought it at once before they learned the truth about it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #116149 on: January 02, 2017, 12:12:27 pm »

The "truth" that there was no possible way it could live up to the hype? ???

I couldn't have predicted the blatant lies, but the ambition and number of promises was suspicious the instant I heard about the game. Then there's the fact that random generation tends to produce samey, homogenous environments and situations in any game, and increasing the scale only makes this more apparent.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 12:21:22 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #116150 on: January 02, 2017, 12:15:43 pm »

I figured that they'd count returns as -1 purchases.

Also, Akura? Speaking from experience, 100% get a shot.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116151 on: January 02, 2017, 12:49:48 pm »

I'm late, but...

@Voyager

I like the show. Might be because I came in late to the fandom and never got the hype built up for it. Besides Threshold and a few other episodes, most episodes at least had me enjoying them. Neelix was never too much of a bother. Kinda felt like he could be annoying at times, but I had assumed that was his character. The annoying alien who tries way too hard to be liked by the crew and ends up being disliked. Even if that was the exact opposite of what he was intended to be :P

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #116152 on: January 02, 2017, 01:44:38 pm »

snip

No Man's Sky still sold really well, despite the controversy. It seems that the people talking about it on the internet who felt mad enough to refund it were a vocal minority (and plenty of them decided they hated the game/developer after they'd played it for too long to refund it).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #116153 on: January 02, 2017, 02:12:38 pm »

That was the big one. The refund cutoff window was far too brief for most people to fully encounter the problems -- the first ten hours or so of play did appear to be the kinda dull tutorial/intro to the game proper, it's just that it never really materialized.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116154 on: January 02, 2017, 02:46:34 pm »

snip

No Man's Sky still sold really well, despite the controversy. It seems that the people talking about it on the internet who felt mad enough to refund it were a vocal minority (and plenty of them decided they hated the game/developer after they'd played it for too long to refund it).

UNLESS of course you do two things

1) Check its sales over time, where it has a huge drop off almost immediately after it was released...
2) Check how many people were still playing it... Which yes... the game was a desolate wasteland very quickly.

So... yeah... In your face "It was a vocal minority"

Sometimes the "minority" are more the few people who actually raise their voice to how the majority are feeling...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 02:50:59 pm by Neonivek »

ufo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116155 on: January 02, 2017, 03:52:23 pm »

Came across a self-help book today that was written by a Doctor Marvin Munroe.
i dont get it
(sorry for asking in a old post)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116156 on: January 02, 2017, 04:59:48 pm »

Also, Akura? Speaking from experience, 100% get a shot.

Oh definitely. The doctor said it really wasn't necessary as the damage was entirely superficial, but still took the precaution and got a tetanus shot and an antibiotic.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #116157 on: January 02, 2017, 05:47:14 pm »

Came across a self-help book today that was written by a Doctor Marvin Munroe.
i dont get it
(sorry for asking in a old post)

This is why it was odd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp3W-gYBCmM
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116158 on: January 02, 2017, 05:50:08 pm »

WTF: No Man's Buy is listed on Steam's Top 100 Best Sellers of 2016. Even though it was, you'd think that they would just remove it on principle.

Whether it got negative press or not, it was a huge commercial success. How is it a WTF that they presented a factual list with the actual information without doctoring it? I'd think if they removed a top-selling game from the list "on principle" that would be a bigger WTF.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116159 on: January 02, 2017, 05:51:46 pm »

Whether it got negative press or not, it was a huge commercial success.

It is almost like critical failures can be commercial successes or something :P

And that critical successes that are considered some of the best games in their genre can be dismal failures (Hello Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil to name two)

Though to admit videogames work a LOT on what I call the "Sobering period" which is that a game is released "It must be good", then a month or year later... yeah people admit maybe it wasn't a very good game... This does happen with other mediums but never more pronounced than in videogames. It is one of the major contributors to Triple-A semi-boring yet highly rated trend.

So for a game to have high sales but be considered terrible from the getgo is rare. Typically you get a lot more initial push. SimCity I guess is a similar example.

The Sims 4 is more of a "Sobering period" example. While reviews were that it was weak and very disappointing. It took about a year before even the die hard community was like "no, this is BAAAAAAAD"
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 05:55:23 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 7742 7743 [7744] 7745 7746 ... 11037