Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7737 7738 [7739] 7740 7741 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14488506 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #116070 on: January 01, 2017, 02:56:15 pm »

You know it works because you can feel it purging the scum
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116071 on: January 01, 2017, 03:07:47 pm »

Columbus came up today.
I joked about how funny it is that he later became considered a hero when he never did anything of note, his "discovery" happened by accident, and the reason he was considered crazy was not because he was a super smart dude who was way ahead of eveybody at the time because he knew that the Earth was round (since it was pretty common knowledge) but rather because he grossly misestimated the size of the Earth and everyone else was "dude, crossing the Atlantic AND Pacific? You're gonna die!". And if it wasn't for the fact he accidentally a continent midway through, he would've actually died.

But apparently I'm wrong, because Columbus deserves the most credit for being the only person brave enough to try it even though everyone disagreed with him and that makes him super smart and he proved something no one else could through his bravery (except he didn't. He discovered America. He never proved the Earth was round) and all that talk is just Anglosaxons trying to erase our history and steal credit from poor Columbus by saying vikings came first.

That last one makes me WTF the most, because AFAIK it's the other way around--portraying Columbus as a hero is actual erasure of our history, presenting the Conquest as a heroic venture instead of, y'know the actual thing which was more about Latin America getting screwed over repeatedly and vigorously and the rest of the world benefitting from it.
I don't know if Asia or Africa really benefitted from it. :/

Or any part of Europe besides England, France and Spain, really. Italy certainly didn't appreciate having their monopoly on spice trade be less important.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #116072 on: January 01, 2017, 03:35:42 pm »

Ultimately even the European states that gained the most lost out in the end, once their colonies got out from under the boot-heel. Portugal definitely got a good deal for the duration of their little golden age, and Britain because they managed to hang on to a decent chunk of their colonies to some degree, but France just got fucked in the long run and Spain is almost a nonentity in international politics now.

Columbus was just a brainless thug, of course. And the Newfoundland expedition were at best the first Europeans to discover the Americas, the first people to do so were probably SEA island folks.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116073 on: January 01, 2017, 03:42:51 pm »

I got into a fight on a chat I went to... It ended with me apologizing but the GM contacted me later and I was like

"Wait is it about the fight? I apologized"

And they were like

"Ohh I had a lot of people contact me and say you were being harassed"

:3

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116074 on: January 01, 2017, 03:48:28 pm »

Harassment is the sincerest form of flattery, after all :P
only half-joking
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116075 on: January 01, 2017, 05:25:19 pm »

in good old 'who would win?' debates.

Goodness do I hate those... I'll sum up the problem with the major show right now

Captain America would beat Superman.

Cap ain't got no kryptonite, 'cause there ain't no kryptonite in his universe(s). Therefore, Cap cannot beat Superman. It's just science.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116076 on: January 01, 2017, 05:32:03 pm »

in good old 'who would win?' debates.

Goodness do I hate those... I'll sum up the problem with the major show right now

Captain America would beat Superman.

Cap ain't got no kryptonite, 'cause there ain't no kryptonite in his universe(s). Therefore, Cap cannot beat Superman. It's just science.

Cap has a indestructible shield that Superman cannot defeat.

That instantly means Captain America wins.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116077 on: January 01, 2017, 05:36:25 pm »

Except that Superman would summon his friend Batman who had preparation time!
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116078 on: January 01, 2017, 05:40:54 pm »

Wouldn't Superman just use his super speed to take the shield away from Cap? Or Supes could use heat vision on any part of Cap's body not protected by the shield.

This is a pretty dumb example since there is absolutely no way, short of a convenient source of kyrptonite nearby, that Captain American can beat Superman. The dude's just way too powerful.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116079 on: January 01, 2017, 05:45:09 pm »

And that's why these arguments are so dumb, and so common.  It's easy to argue why most mainline superheroes could defeat any other, because their powers are so vague.

And then you get into crazy shit like Goku vs Batman vs The Enterprise.
It's fun, but it's sooooo dumb!
But it's fun.
She/they

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #116080 on: January 01, 2017, 05:45:24 pm »

Yeah, Cap doesn't even have any win-by-technicality clauses like Squirrel Girl. He's just a comics-verse peak human with a detachable perfect defense that only covers a fairly narrow cone. Even if you leave out more absurd feats, Supes would be able to outspeed Cap.

The real answer though is that they're both wholesome American patriots who would never fight each other unless there was a misunderstanding.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116081 on: January 01, 2017, 05:47:15 pm »

I thought Superman gave up his American citizenship in order to better serve the entire world?

It's a good point though, they're both pretty much on the same side.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #116082 on: January 01, 2017, 05:55:04 pm »

Didn't know about that, just that the JLA went international (for basically the same reason).

3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #116083 on: January 01, 2017, 06:01:56 pm »

Given how easy it is to get one's hands on kryptonite, I'd honestly mark Superman as low-tier as long as any fight is happening in-universe. His arch-nemesis is a sociopathic but ordinary man, even.

Wonder Woman is easily the most powerful of the big three on average due to her general lack of direct weaknesses and utter brutality when pushed, and even Batman has the edge on Superman for the same reason Luthor does.

I like Superman as a character, but his stories tend to get divided into no-kryptonite godmode or kryptonite-rich how will he EVER win NAAOOOO. Exceptions are For The Man Who Has Everything and All-Star Superman, which is probably also why they're some of the best.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116084 on: January 01, 2017, 06:03:43 pm »

Wouldn't Superman just use his super speed to take the shield away from Cap? Or Supes could use heat vision on any part of Cap's body not protected by the shield.

This is a pretty dumb example since there is absolutely no way, short of a convenient source of kyrptonite nearby, that Captain American can beat Superman. The dude's just way too powerful.

This is death battle so we have to play by death battle's rules and they state that no... Superman couldn't use his super speed to hit Captain America past his shield.

Watch Cloud Vs. Link for that.
Pages: 1 ... 7737 7738 [7739] 7740 7741 ... 11037