Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7732 7733 [7734] 7735 7736 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14490782 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #115995 on: December 30, 2016, 04:10:09 pm »

Liquid expansion on freezing, aided by the fact any beer has a fair bit of gas in it, which enhances the expansion :v

Don't let your beers freeze, kids.
That's actually water expansion on freezing. It's IIRC one of the few, or maybe even the only liquid that does that, due to its highly irrational bond structure.
Of the ones I know, molten bismuth expands, and I think gallium and silicon also do. For some reason, when I look this up, I only find elemental liquids, despite being sure that some compounds also do that. I just don't remember which ones.
Still, it's pretty rare.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115996 on: December 30, 2016, 04:18:34 pm »

There probably are several compounds that do, since water is a compound and all.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #115997 on: December 30, 2016, 04:18:47 pm »

What hte hell.

Here's how it works. First, get a very large airship and float it above a city. Then attach a giant warehouse full of Amazon items to the bottom (actually, you should probably attach this before the floating, but the patent is vague on this point). This warehouse is constantly restocked by smaller airships, which bring personnel and supplies from the ground, as well as carrying away waste. People on the ground use their computers to browse items currently floating over their heads, and order whatever they want. Then drones grab the items, hurl themselves out of the airship, and engage their rotors as they approach the ground. The human receives his or her item from the drone, and the drone ascends back up to its floating palace of boxes and workers.

What is this, Blade Runner?!
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #115998 on: December 30, 2016, 04:20:11 pm »

It's not....literally impossible?

I guess we'll get to see that airship techline we missed out on...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115999 on: December 30, 2016, 04:21:02 pm »

BUT WHAT KIND OF AIRSHIP ARE THEY GOING TO USE?

What, do we have flying saucers already and I've just been living under an aerospace rock for the last few years?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #116000 on: December 30, 2016, 04:21:51 pm »

When looking for subtances that expand when they solidify, one should probably look to ones that make crystals. After all, the expansion is because the rigid molecular lattice takes more space than the freely-moving liquid.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #116001 on: December 30, 2016, 04:25:40 pm »

BUT WHAT KIND OF AIRSHIP ARE THEY GOING TO USE?

Prolonged flight without much movement? That sounds like a job for a blimp.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116002 on: December 30, 2016, 04:26:32 pm »

That's... hm.
Is it cost-effective for a warehouse to be attached to a dirigible?
It sounds cool as hell, but my guess is no.
Though I really want it to be yes.

I suppose dirigibles are fragile, and it would be relatively costly to float goods up and down from them.  Though shipping from warehouses isn't inherently cheap either, we've just optimized a lot...

I mean the main cost is probably the interstate trip, this only handles the final local distribution...  Hm.
Clearly this won't work because nazis.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116003 on: December 30, 2016, 04:27:58 pm »

Aren't blimps like, kinda vulnerable to adverse weather and not able to carry all that much cargo, though?

Like, you'd need a fuckhuge blimp in order to actualy use it as a warehouse of some sort, with products + workers + drones. Then one day God decides to practice his old zeus persona and throws a lightning at it, and suddenly you have a fuckhuge warehouse tier mass falling on top of unsuspecting consumers.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 04:30:13 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116004 on: December 30, 2016, 04:30:22 pm »

To quote Indiana Jones, "Nazis! I hate those guys!"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116005 on: December 30, 2016, 04:31:48 pm »

There is a slur of problems with blimps, yes, BUT every other alternative I can think of is going to cost a fucking fortune in fuel expenses alone. Plus emissions from burning said fuel, but who has ever cared about emissions when tremendous amounts of money are involved.

E: I think I was in seventh grade when I did that little bit of research for a project about airborne aircraft carriers, and my conclusion back then went "this idea really sucks, but if you absolutely must have one, go with a blimp".
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 04:34:10 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116006 on: December 30, 2016, 04:34:07 pm »

Nuclear powered helicarrier
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116007 on: December 30, 2016, 04:35:48 pm »

Nuclear powered helicarrier

Are you telling me that gigantic aerial battleship from Avengers is actually going to be an Amazon warehouse?
Sigs

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116008 on: December 30, 2016, 04:39:04 pm »

CAPITALISM HO!

But nah, I don't think anyone came up with any reactor design light and powerful enough to put on an airship. We won't be getting nuclear airships unless people can get one of those small fusion reactor designs working, not to mention stable fusion itself :U

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116009 on: December 30, 2016, 04:43:12 pm »

Well I'm an optimist that way, so what I question is not whether or not we will come up with the technology, but how are we going to use it.
Sigs

Pages: 1 ... 7732 7733 [7734] 7735 7736 ... 11037