Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7722 7723 [7724] 7725 7726 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14493780 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #115845 on: December 27, 2016, 12:06:05 am »

The moral of the story is snitches get ditches, thus if somebody grasses you forget about all the other sports bludgeoning and kill the snitch

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #115846 on: December 27, 2016, 12:39:12 am »

Saw an advert on telly, which was bizarre... just cartoon people spreading hearts around to people, basically.

Two lines of a song repeat at the end, something along the lines of "we need more of god's love to give one another" or some nonsense.

Apparently the company sells car batteries.

Fucking what?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #115847 on: December 27, 2016, 12:49:57 am »

Undirected emotional appeal! Some people think it's the best way to sell something, all by itself, with no mention of the product at all.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115848 on: December 27, 2016, 01:36:22 am »

If you sought out the identity of the company, the advertising worked.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115849 on: December 27, 2016, 01:47:22 am »

If you sought out the identity of the company, the advertising worked.

If he doesn't ever buy any of their products, the advertising still failed.

... and anyone he mentioned their name to, I suppose
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #115850 on: December 27, 2016, 01:57:52 am »

Well they had "battery" in their name, so it wasn't a difficult thing to surmise prior to seeking out their website. I got as far as Googling it, so I guess it does something with their algorithms?

It was just a weird advert that had nothing to do with what they were selling. I recall a radio advert which had a similar feel to it, though it was at least more informative as to what it was. The only Christian LED seller in the area.

The WTF is mostly what their religion has to do with their product.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115851 on: December 27, 2016, 02:07:22 am »

Some people like to buy from people with a religious commonality. Similarly, wasn't Chick-Fil-A discussed on these boards?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #115852 on: December 27, 2016, 02:09:42 am »

Theyre marketing to hardline christians that will buy products guaranteed to be 100% christian. Seriously.

Kinda like marketing your product as gluten free, even though within reason the product shouldn't contain gluten in the first place, to appeal to people who actively seek out anything with "gluten free" plastered on it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #115853 on: December 27, 2016, 02:14:02 am »

Quote from: dude B
Quote from: dude A
Windows is *not* any more intuitive than any other OS, it is just more widely used. That is not the same as "good".
On the flip-side, Linux is *not* any more intuitive than any other OS, it just has more passionate zealots. That is not the same as "good".

EDIT: Farther down the page...
Quote from: dude C
Quote from: dude B
On the flip-side, OS X is *not* any more intuitive than any other OS, it just has more rabid zealots. That is not the same as "good".
Fixed that for you.
END EDIT

Both are 100% right :)

Linux doesn't cost anything, Windows supports a lot more applications I want to run. Both are about as easy to use once you get beyond the basics, both have strengths, both have weaknesses. (both have annoying zealots)

There's a certain kind of person that has to drag their religion into everything (it's not just a christian problem either).

Too bad they will never understand that the best way to "witness" to the unconverted is to be quietly religious. Don't hide your beliefs, live them. Proselytize to those who want to listen and quietly provide an example to those who do not. Trust me, a person who quietly lives their religion (provided they are not a hypocrite) is far more impressive than one who is loudly obnoxious about their faith (particularly since the loud ones are often hypocrites).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 02:29:07 am by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115854 on: December 27, 2016, 03:04:02 am »

The Aleppo march has started.
THE MADMEN ARE ACTUALLY DOING THIS.

Really? I thought they'd abandon it as pointless once Aleppo fell, since the point of the march was to try and bring attention to Aleppo.

Seems like they got the idea from MLK and Ghandi (I saw their memorandum mention the Selma March or MLK). Sure, they marched into dangerous situations where they knew they'd face violence, but they never to my knowledge, marched into a live battlefield with armies duking it out.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:10:55 am by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115855 on: December 27, 2016, 03:15:02 am »

Geez, I hope this doesn't end up like The Children's Crusade or something.

EDIT ... actually if you read the Children's Crusade accounts, the descriptions of the behavior and age ranges sound suspiciously similar to the chuunibyo concept from Japan (year 2 - middle school - disease: i.e. delusional 14 year olds who think they have special powers ala manga/anime. The western equivalent is usually kids who've decided they're vampires or gotten into some subculture). Some things about human nature never really change.

Large gangs of youth around his age were drawn to him, most of whom claimed to possess special gifts of God and thought themselves miracle workers.
Yup, Stephan amassed an army of 30,000 medieval Chuuni's
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:25:05 am by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115856 on: December 27, 2016, 03:48:53 am »

I doubt they're likely to be sold off into slavery (unless we're talking about sex slavery here), but looking at the wiki page, looks like none of them got anywhere near their intended destination.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #115857 on: December 27, 2016, 03:57:41 am »

The realisation that 3D printers now cost as little as £200. And I could afford one. And I want one. And I have no idea what I'd actually *do* with one...

It's like the 2 Raspberry Pi's I have lying around. I don't need a media centre, don't have the space for a DIY arcade machine, don't like voice controls or have any wifi-controllable stuff to automate...Best idea I've had so far is just to use one to build CCTV for my flat entryway.

Damnit, WTF me, I have magical boxes that can do whatever I can think of, why can't I think of anything!?!

And I'm still eyeing up the Raspberry Pi Zero like "Damn that's cool and I want one"...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 04:00:45 am by MorleyDev »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115858 on: December 27, 2016, 04:04:08 am »

There's little point complicating your set up for lulz. The best use for tech is to replace some other gear or manual process. And the problem with "magical boxes that can do whatever you can think of" is that a general purpose PC/laptop/tablet/smartphone already does most of the things you'd want via software. That's probably why you're finding it hard to justify uses for extra hardware. Most things you could use a Pi for can be done via apps.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115859 on: December 27, 2016, 04:07:38 am »

Make something you need? That'd be a place to start.

Though yeah, it helps to actually have a purpose for said 'magical box', like something you really want to do, or like doing, or need for something.
Pages: 1 ... 7722 7723 [7724] 7725 7726 ... 11037