Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7706 7707 [7708] 7709 7710 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494331 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #115605 on: December 20, 2016, 05:50:12 am »

In the Netherlands,  prisoners convicted to long term imprisonments even have a right to have a 'social worker' tend to their sexual needs once every so often.
It's also available for certain chronically ill or disabled people. It's the only form of prostitution for which the workers classify as healthcare professionals, not as prostitutes.
Old post, but of course it's "Netherlands"

* Cinder snickers
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #115606 on: December 20, 2016, 11:04:54 am »

So apparently farming is very profitable, by normal people's standards (143,158$ per year is not chump change), while being effectively a part-time job (the author complains about it not being enough, but that article was from 2003, clearly outdated by now).

And they still get government subsidies for that?
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115607 on: December 20, 2016, 11:09:22 am »

So apparently farming is very profitable, by normal people's standards (143,158$ per year is not chump change), while being effectively a part-time job (the author complains about it not being enough, but that article was from 2003, clearly outdated by now).

I think that analysis is WITH government subsidies, though it doesn't seem to include them in the calculations, not that I can tell. In any case, the subsidies are largely to keep food costs down.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #115608 on: December 20, 2016, 12:27:51 pm »

Compare less developed countries (Like, well, Poland) and you'll understand. The government subsidies let them get to the point of mechanization and automatization that it's only a part-time job now. Upgrading everything to get to that point is insanely expensive and doesn't seem like it's included.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115609 on: December 20, 2016, 02:15:45 pm »

The land and structure you need to set up a profitable farm requires significant initial investment, yes, so while its profitable and essentialy a part time job once you get it going, its not something the average joe can just jump into. Farming machines are expensive, yo.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #115610 on: December 20, 2016, 02:23:06 pm »

The government subsidies aren't about helping farmers, they're about two things.

First of all, the US is one of very few countries on Earth that exports food rather than importing it, and its largely because of the subsidies.  This is part of our continuing quest to be able to fight every single other country at the same time.

Its also a relic from the Bush era where we wanted to make ethenol to reduce our reliance on foreign oil.  That's why so much of it is corn.  In terms of food production the corn subsidies are terrible and a contributing factor to American nutrition being messed up.  But the corn subsidies are perfect if you want to make ethenol.  Of course, it would be cheaper to just harvest our untapped oil reserves (and damn if the Bush administration didn't give a poop about the environment).  I guess if we don't harvest our oil reserves and buy everyone elses', when it all runs out we'll be the last oil producing country standing?  See above point about wanting to be able to fight the whole world.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115611 on: December 20, 2016, 02:29:06 pm »

The strategic reason exists but they actually are, in part, about helping farmers. The government gives farmers money to grow this, or to not grow that again, or even to leave their field fallow, as a means of managing commodity prices and preventing shortage/oversupply. Farmers have to sell their crop after all, and if prices fall too low paying rent (for the ~1.3 million or so US farmers who don't own the land they work) or buying the things they need to do it again next year can be problematic. And I don't think I have to explain what happens if prices get too high.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #115612 on: December 20, 2016, 02:55:08 pm »

Today I had two major WTFs, each more annoying than the last...

First my brand new XBox One controller refused to work properly via bluetooth, despite the fact that it works perfectly when connected via USB (it seems I need to update windows 10, kinda hard to do with no internet...)

Then I get to the library and start downloading the stuff I need and my connection drops for no reason I can divine. I go to the front desk and ask what is going on (can you reboot the router please?), and the librarian asks if I am using a PC named "shuttle". Well, yes. Why? "Oh, the tech guy just blocked it because it has a virus" Uhmmm... I run Linux, no virus. They get the tech guy on the phone, and he says "I detected a UDP flood attack coming from your computer". Now some light dawns on the problem! I am running Deluge (a bittorrent client). Bittorrent uses UDP, and creates many connections on semi-random ports, easy to confuse with a UDP flood attack. Trying to explain to the guy that it's not really an attack is probably futile, so I guess I'll just have to configure Deluge to use specific ports instead of random...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115613 on: December 20, 2016, 02:57:52 pm »

Why are you trying to use butternut in a library, I mean, come on.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115614 on: December 20, 2016, 03:03:20 pm »

Still, I wonder if the SysAdmin identifying it as an UDP attack was casual laziness or practiced diplomacy.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115615 on: December 20, 2016, 03:26:26 pm »

It's not that dissimilar, iirc.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #115616 on: December 20, 2016, 03:30:31 pm »

Why are you trying to use butternut in a library, I mean, come on.

Because that is the only place I have net access? It's cheaper to drive ~13 miles (one way) to the local library twice a week then it is to buy net access for our house (this is assuming we could even get it at our place, which is doubtful due to lots of tall trees between us and the antenna).

I suppose I'll just have to work around the issue somehow (VPN?), not using BT is simply not an option.

It's not that dissimilar, iirc.

I did some googling and it looks like erroneous identification of BT traffic as a UDP flood is not at all unheard of...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115617 on: December 20, 2016, 03:33:42 pm »

Because the principle it works by is "you will send packets to dozens of ips simultaneously while being flooded by even more packets from even more ips, which will continue flooding your ip for a good while even after you shut the program down."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115618 on: December 20, 2016, 05:19:11 pm »

One of these days I'll learn never to discuss politics with strangers. Or more preferably, anyone.

Another truck driver and I were waiting to get some paperwork processed. The dude said something about how ridiculous it was that all the Democrats were throwing tantrums over how Trump won the election.
I, in a temporary fit of insanity, decided to play the middle road and remarked that this election season had been so ugly, that if Hillary had won instead then the Republicans would likely be doing the same thing, and that it was a damn shame that tensions were running so high.
His immediate response was that if Hillary had won, then he and I (both white males, which I have the unfortunate feeling was the point he was trying to make) would have chains around our necks at this very moment. He then went into some sort of rant about Nelson Mandela and gang-style executions, then finished by saying that Hillary should be thrown in jail for life and that Obama had ruined this country and should be killed.

All I could do at that point was just sort of nod along, because screw trying to get into a debate with something like that.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115619 on: December 20, 2016, 05:22:50 pm »

Yikes.  :(
Pages: 1 ... 7706 7707 [7708] 7709 7710 ... 11037