Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7705 7706 [7707] 7708 7709 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14492077 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #115590 on: December 19, 2016, 05:19:21 pm »

In the Netherlands,  prisoners convicted to long term imprisonments even have a right to have a 'social worker' tend to their sexual needs once every so often.
It's also available for certain chronically ill or disabled people. It's the only form of prostitution for which the workers classify as healthcare professionals, not as prostitutes.
At first this seemed bizarre and insane, but... I guess it's actually fairly sensible?
Oh Netherlands, you so progressive.

Clearly the Netherlands is the place for lonely losers like us to get incarcerated. Not only free housing, healthcare and food, but prostitutes!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #115591 on: December 19, 2016, 05:38:00 pm »

No good if there's no blackjack.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115592 on: December 19, 2016, 05:48:10 pm »

Huh. Another ban. Considering the stated reason for the ban I'm guessing it took place in one of the politics threads. Those places are deathtraps.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #115593 on: December 19, 2016, 05:49:24 pm »

That's just because politics threads bring out the hyperbolic side of some and the tattle-tale side of others.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115594 on: December 19, 2016, 05:57:18 pm »

Honestly my WTF is that that guy made it so long without being banned. Had a bit of a track record for that sort of thing.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #115595 on: December 19, 2016, 06:05:49 pm »

I sort of remember him from Rus politics thread back in, uh, '13, I think? It was actually possible to converse about Ukraine back then. Later on, there was only hate.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #115596 on: December 19, 2016, 06:20:14 pm »

Honestly my WTF is that that guy made it so long without being banned. Had a bit of a track record for that sort of thing.
this
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115597 on: December 19, 2016, 06:34:10 pm »

I was getting a crown put in after a root canal today.   But my dental assistant messed up and nicked herself with the needle she used to anesthetize me.   Right when that happened getting the crown today flew right out the window.  It's been rescheduled.

Instead I got to follow the dental assistant around town because I (and the dental assistant)had to get emergency bloodwork done immediately.  The first place we were told to go turns out they don't take my dental office's insurance.  The second place was apparently a full fledged ER, they were able to do it.   Still quite an adventure.

Good news for me though, the bloodwork was free, (because the dentist office paid for it) it's one of the things my general doctor wanted me to get bloodwork done for anyway probably saving me a bit of money next doctors visit because that's like 4 things they don't have to check for anymore, and my crown will also now be free as a thank you for being so cooperative and being willing to get checked.

Oh and I am very unlikely to have any of the stuff they are checking for, so I'm sure the dental assistant will be fine.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 06:35:56 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #115598 on: December 19, 2016, 06:40:52 pm »

Ukrainian Ranger got banned? Rest in pieces, UPA apologizer. May you get a Hero of Ukraine award just like Bandera. ;_;7
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #115599 on: December 19, 2016, 07:33:19 pm »

You know, Ive never gotten why people think that isolating prisoners on their own islands or planets or w.e. in sci-fi (or irl) would make for a nasty, darwinian anarcharism,

People know that anarchy is a temporary state, right?  Even if its law of the strongest, the despots go up and people clan together and when you give it time people WILL make new societies that are bound by the same things that historical tribes and city-states had.

Laws observing ancestry, 'nobility', servitude, and even trade.  Gotta trust people to work with them.  gotta work with them to get power.  Criminals arent nonhuman, theyre socially mal-adjusted to the current governments desires.  Which includes, btw, a lack of proper subservience.  Which is something we tend to view as respectable or at least 'dominant'.

I guess it makes easier writing to flatten great trends of society.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115600 on: December 19, 2016, 07:48:41 pm »

I guess people just take the prison system and then scale the mistrust up to 11 and nix all of the supporting structure.
I could imagine humans being pretty anarchic from that- but mostly just because new mal-adjusted criminals are being dropped in all the time, and they all seem to have ambition/insanity.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #115601 on: December 19, 2016, 07:55:38 pm »

You know, Ive never gotten why people think that isolating prisoners on their own islands or planets or w.e. in sci-fi (or irl) would make for a nasty, darwinian anarcharism
The trick is to keep your prison island / planet / third world country so devoid of recources that your prisoners are too busy fighting over scarce recources to ever emerge from anarchy.
Even if they were to all cooperate, they're too deprived of recources needed to build the infrastructure required to advance beyond tribalism. Some periodic wardening (it's like gardening, but then with bombs) will ensure that further.

OR

You know, Ive never gotten why people think that isolating prisoners on their own islands or planets or w.e. in sci-fi (or irl) would make for a nasty, darwinian anarcharism
...Australia... They even have a city called Darwin
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 07:57:42 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #115602 on: December 19, 2016, 07:59:31 pm »

Prisoners dont have to farm and they are sheltered from weather and 'reasonably safe' in that there arent going to be suddenly invading armies or meteor showers or any societal calamities.

Once these necessities, these nonviolent necessities come into play you get a surprising amount of civility, if only in what it was historically for peasants

Preedit:
At tack.

Postedit:

I mean it sounds good, but then why bother to oppress them outside your own structure to begin with?  Of course exporting all the wealth would be nice and all, look at colonialism ...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115603 on: December 19, 2016, 09:05:01 pm »

Why with the murders. Big guy you never gave trouble to anyone and now the community has a hole in its heart.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115604 on: December 20, 2016, 04:17:25 am »

Based only on the Louis Theroux documentary I saw, it seems likely that groups and hierarchies would emerge incredibly quickly, having been there in the first place.

There is also a very rigid self-enforced behaviour code sometimes, e.g. don't take another inmates food even if he offers it to you. This seems to be to prevent any bad situations involving say, extorting food, from arising at all: they just don't want any grey areas and will fuck someone up for doing something seemingly innocuous that falls into them.

So while violent and occasionally a bit deranged, prisoners on the inside at least seem as capable as normal individuals at organisation and forming laws.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:53:19 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 7705 7706 [7707] 7708 7709 ... 11037