Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7703 7704 [7705] 7706 7707 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14491495 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #115560 on: December 18, 2016, 03:05:28 pm »

Germany was never going to be able to pay the reparations which were demanded of them
And yet as soon as they stopped paying them/fucking their own currency, they suddenly had the most powerful war economy in Europe.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115561 on: December 18, 2016, 03:09:51 pm »

*Which would collapse without materials gained from being at war

I won't say the rapid rebound wasn't a thing, but it certainly wasn't going to last without expansion.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 03:12:09 pm by Iceblaster »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115562 on: December 18, 2016, 03:27:56 pm »

Germany was never going to be able to pay the reparations which were demanded of them
And yet as soon as they stopped paying them/fucking their own currency, they suddenly had the most powerful war economy in Europe.
Sorry, I think you mean 5 years after the reparations were made manageable, they were on the road to economic stability and sustainable military might, and might have achieved firmly-cemented superpowerdom a decade after that.

Of course the latter part is counterfactual, as they took the economist off the "running the economy" job and put a fat bloke who loved naming things after himself. Once Boris Johnson Goring took the helm, they really needed to annex a few places in order to have a powerful military and keep eating.

Powerful military does not mean powerful military economy. As North Korea kindly demonstrates for us.
One wheel short of a wagon

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #115563 on: December 18, 2016, 04:19:03 pm »

Green Bay Packers.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #115564 on: December 18, 2016, 05:30:48 pm »

"So I joined the tournament for that card game, but some of my best cards seem to have lost their respect for me. What do I do?"

Working for comcast sucks.
How ironic that a telecommunications company has so poor internal communication.

I'm pretty sure that Comcast just sucks in general, from what I've heard.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115565 on: December 18, 2016, 06:03:27 pm »

I might be putting Africa's complete independence from Europe earlier than it actually was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Indochina_War
The first Vietnam war was actually from 1946-1954. The Americans came in, in 1950.

French West Africa ceased to exist in 1960.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115566 on: December 18, 2016, 06:06:40 pm »

Oh. Well, blegh. I'm bad at recent events then. Meh. Learned new stuff. Yay.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115567 on: December 18, 2016, 06:09:52 pm »

I had to check the dates for Africa too, but I had a hunch it went on a while, because I knew the whole cause of the Vietnam War was the French coming back to try and regain their colonial possessions after WWII. And if they were still after Vietnam, they sure would have been aiming to grab back things closer to home.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 06:15:26 pm by Reelya »

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115568 on: December 18, 2016, 06:19:15 pm »

Ah. Yeah, maybe I'm wrong, but I was using the seventies as around when Vietnam really started getting to its height. Maybe it just went on longer than I thought. I might look that up and find out. Woo, learning :P

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115569 on: December 18, 2016, 07:45:14 pm »

Ah. Yeah, maybe I'm wrong, but I was using the seventies as around when Vietnam really started getting to its height. Maybe it just went on longer than I thought. I might look that up and find out. Woo, learning :P
Vietnam was really more of a 60's thing. Although if you ask the other side, they'd be continually at war since at least as early as 1941 (vs the Vichy French and the Japanese, then the French, then the Americans). That's part of the reason the USA lost: they thought a bit of bombing would cause the NVA to negotiate for peace, but they didn't bank on dealing with diehards who'd be constantly fighting for their lives for several decades.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 07:49:28 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #115570 on: December 18, 2016, 08:00:06 pm »

I forget who it was, McNamara maybe, talking about how he met with a North Vietnamese counterpart during an event decades after the war ended and talked about exactly that. About how it was explained to him then that to the North Vietnamese the war was never about communism or about ideologies, but about kicking out colonial oppressors, and that the U.S. was perceived as nothing more than the latest of those.

It's an excellent example of why perspective is so deeply important, why being willing to sit down, listen, and speak in turn is among the best ways to resolve conflict without bloodshed.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115571 on: December 18, 2016, 10:59:20 pm »

Apparently they're making an Assassin's Creed movie. The trailers look terrible, and worse, as Youtube ads, they're unskippable.

At least they reverted the comment layout to what it was a few weeks ago.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115572 on: December 18, 2016, 11:05:07 pm »

I have a mannerism. I say 'plusgood' or 'doubleplusgood' when I'm pleased with events.
Was recently talking to a friend of mine and he said he liked that one because it was original.
It's from '1984', so...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 11:30:01 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #115573 on: December 18, 2016, 11:50:14 pm »

Its okay, everything you don't recognize is original.

If we define it any other way, original would cease to exist. Because nothing is new.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115574 on: December 19, 2016, 12:02:40 am »

It's the paradox.
It's a 'new' word which is actually an old word used as satire regarding the intellectual decline of the species, which by using I'm furthering.
Took him saying it was original for me to realise just how far over Poe's line I'd crossed. Which is pretty wtf.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:07:54 am by Tack »
Pages: 1 ... 7703 7704 [7705] 7706 7707 ... 11037