Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7692 7693 [7694] 7695 7696 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14492761 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #115395 on: December 13, 2016, 10:48:38 am »

... the point of making profit is making profit. It's not a means, it's an end. Anything else is incidental/necessarily follows insofar as capitalism is concerned. It posits that by the folks within the system pursuing that, everything'll work out (something something market forces don't think about it too hard, there's a reason there aren't many pure capitalist systems out there), but the point for the capitalist doesn't really have anything to do with that.

And ninja'd, but eh.

Though there's always jonesin' or somethin', if you want to try to find other reasons. Driving your enemies before you and supping on the tears of their loved ones. Social/psych stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115396 on: December 13, 2016, 10:49:58 am »

Corporations are algorithms for maximizing profit, running on wetware.  That's the core contract between company and shareholders, the scrap of paper that runs the golem.  But what does that mean if a corporation becomes powerful enough to supplant the local government and print money?

I guess currency really just represents power.  The board of directors would continue to represent the best interests of the shareholders (including the directors who hold many shares).  Those interests would involve infrastructure, military defense, all the normal issues of a country...  But the highest priority would remain, by contract, shareholders.  More shares would mean more value to the algorithm, and non-shareholders are merely important resources...  Just like normal companies, but in a new business.  The business of running a country.

My knowledge of colonial times is not as great as it should be, but I'm pretty sure this is pretty much what happened.  Large corporations were given nearly free reign over undeveloped countries, to develop and exploit.  Sorta like a oversea vassal trade republic, in Crusader Kings terms?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115397 on: December 13, 2016, 12:08:25 pm »

Corporations are algorithms for maximizing profit, running on wetware.  That's the core contract between company and shareholders, the scrap of paper that runs the golem.  But what does that mean if a corporation becomes powerful enough to supplant the local government and print money?

Well there are two ways to think about it: "we can print money now, let's print infinity money" or "we can print money now, let's minimize the amount of money in the economy, while returning more to our shareholders". Reducing the money supply would increase the value of the dollars already out there, which would increase their shareholder's effective net wealth.

After all, the shareholders don't care if they have less money or more money (numerically) they want the value of their personal assets to increase. Hence, they still won't help the "economy" etc if a corporation gets that large: they'll just maximize their shareholder's slice of the pie, even if the pie itself contracts as a result.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115398 on: December 13, 2016, 12:09:01 pm »

I am noticing a large number of fnord popups on my computer.

Time for cleanup I guess.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #115399 on: December 13, 2016, 12:11:01 pm »

a ... "weathered" looking older female came by.

i was watching her.  she has a bag and a fo-leather duster on.  she didnt speak but for grunts and deaf people speak.  deaf from a young age, at least.

but, she dealt with people in wild gesticulations, ie like somebody with whom you donnt speak a common language.  when people turned away she started to sign all manners of ranting, with frantic and freqent cussing.

curious that she may have been talking to herself in sign. :o
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #115400 on: December 13, 2016, 02:03:09 pm »

curious that she may have been talking to herself in sign. :o
Considering people who are pre-lingually deaf are known to think and dream in sign language, it's not all that weird. It can be hard to comprehend for people who can hear, but it does make sense.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115401 on: December 13, 2016, 02:47:29 pm »

I guess currency really just represents power.  The board of directors would continue to represent the best interests of the shareholders (including the directors who hold many shares).  Those interests would involve infrastructure, military defense, all the normal issues of a country...  But the highest priority would remain, by contract, shareholders.  More shares would mean more value to the algorithm, and non-shareholders are merely important resources...  Just like normal companies, but in a new business.  The business of running a country.

My knowledge of colonial times is not as great as it should be, but I'm pretty sure this is pretty much what happened.  Large corporations were given nearly free reign over undeveloped countries, to develop and exploit.  Sorta like a oversea vassal trade republic, in Crusader Kings terms?

Non-shareholders are simply resources, not necessarily important in the eyes of the corporation or its shareholders.  Resources to be managed and spent in the pursuit of prosperity/enrichment, for the corporation/shareholders. 
It does not necessarily mean those resources will be treated particularly well.  You only need to spend enough for them to keep their population stable/up and to willingly work, one way or another.  Maybe educate some of them for specialized roles.

...  Non-shareholders being the equivalent of medieval serfs or slaves is a possibility. 
And its not like the time of the trade empires particularly cared about indigenous people.  British(?) trading in Opium over at China as one example.

EDIT: Also originally came to post this:
Sexual Healing
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115402 on: December 13, 2016, 04:42:23 pm »

----

I don't know what fiction you've been reading, but I don't recall a situation like this. The closest I can think of is Lan from Wheel of Time, and there the sex does not work.

One example I can think of is in the "One flew over the Cukoos nest" movie, one of the guys gets their stutter fixed by having sex with the main character's girlfriend. He then regains it after the nurse promises to punish him for it.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115403 on: December 13, 2016, 04:49:30 pm »

----

I don't know what fiction you've been reading, but I don't recall a situation like this. The closest I can think of is Lan from Wheel of Time, and there the sex does not work.
Wilhelm Reich? But that is billed as non-fiction

EDIT: Wilhelm. (It was one of the Reichs)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:51:48 pm by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115404 on: December 13, 2016, 05:04:29 pm »

The board of directors would continue to represent the best interests of the shareholders (including the directors who hold many shares).  Those interests would involve infrastructure, military defense, all the normal issues of a country...  But the highest priority would remain, by contract, shareholders.
So basically the shareholders become the new bourgeois?

Edit:
Okay this probably belongs in "random questions" but does anyone know if there's a shorter slang phrase for getting a boner from an unintentional positive feedback loop?

Like if a guy got excited every time he picked up a dog because he used to have to haul his pooch out before Harry could meet Sally.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:16:44 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115405 on: December 13, 2016, 05:15:11 pm »

That's exactly what I meant!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #115406 on: December 13, 2016, 07:08:45 pm »

The Youtube ad for the Mummy resell is literally half a second of film, followed by "Please Google the full trailer on your own time" (paraphrase). I suspect this is because a trailer with a skip button will be skipped by literally everyone, so they shorten it to the point that it's over before you even think of skipping it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115407 on: December 13, 2016, 11:19:53 pm »

Ok SERIOUSLY!!! Fiction really REALLY needs to retire this
No, Neo, it/they don't. It's fiction, they can write whatever they want.
Now, if there are non-fiction guides to sexual healing popping up and causing horribly unhealthy, well, views, that could be a problem. But fiction? Fiction has no limits, fiction is anything. You could write something totally crazy, like a picture book about an, an elephant, who has... lost his balloon! Oh no! Where could it be? Oh wait, the monkey has it! Up in the tree! Let's all go drink lemonade.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you get a boner today?
« Reply #115408 on: December 13, 2016, 11:20:36 pm »

Edit:
Okay this probably belongs in "random questions" but does anyone know if there's a shorter slang phrase for getting a boner from an unintentional positive feedback loop?

Like if a guy got excited every time he picked up a dog because he used to have to haul his pooch out before Harry could meet Sally.

Yeah it's 'the Pavlovian'
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #115409 on: December 13, 2016, 11:23:28 pm »

Ok SERIOUSLY!!! Fiction really REALLY needs to retire this
No, Neo, it/they don't. It's fiction, they can write whatever they want.
Now, if there are non-fiction guides to sexual healing popping up and causing horribly unhealthy, well, views, that could be a problem. But fiction? Fiction has no limits, fiction is anything. You could write something totally crazy, like a picture book about an, an elephant, who has... lost his balloon! Oh no! Where could it be? Oh wait, the monkey has it! Up in the tree! Let's all go drink lemonade.

Then you go to sleep and win some money from your friend 'cause she's not friends with her old friends no more.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 7692 7693 [7694] 7695 7696 ... 11037