Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7687 7688 [7689] 7690 7691 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14489148 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #115320 on: December 12, 2016, 11:34:14 am »

Anyhow, re: book vs. ebook, paper all the way. No need for a battery life, it won't eff up your circadian rhythm, and you can show off your collection. Or in my case, put a lot of it on the floor 'cause there's not enough shelf space.
I would argue the opposite for exactly the reasons you just gave. Books take up space!

E: Oh it appears everyone already covered both sides of the issue above me. Nevermind.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:36:05 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #115321 on: December 12, 2016, 11:35:03 am »

Huh, I don't get that.  My skin crawls if I hear ripping fabric, though.  Something about it drives me crazy.
Polystyrene. Packaging. Even looking at it gives me an anticipatory shudder.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115322 on: December 12, 2016, 11:39:49 am »

I like books, but use ebooks more often than not.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115323 on: December 12, 2016, 11:41:36 am »

@Av: There probably is a push for that. Most folks seem to like the convenience of having a small mostly-functional computer they can carry around more than they like a charge life measured in weeks. I certainly do, ehehe.
Yeeeah, but your e-book, with its limited app selection, color capacity and refresh rate, is way less of a functional computer than a tablet would be. It might be at some point in the future, but not right now. To me it's a choice between having a functional book and some sort of inferior untertablet, at least at the moment.

-snip-
Which one do you have? My Kindle Paperwhite lasts for a month or two if I keep the light on low and put it in airplane mode.
Huh, not bad. Might be a bit out of my price range, though. Perhaps I can rephrase my complaint from "modern ebooks are kinda crap" to "budget ebooks are kinda crap". They don't have any actual reason to be, though. My Tesla Symbol could last like ten times longer for its battery capacity if some genius didn't decide to leave some background process running for all the time that it's on.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #115324 on: December 12, 2016, 11:58:48 am »

Huh, I don't get that.  My skin crawls if I hear ripping fabric, though.  Something about it drives me crazy.
Polystyrene. Packaging. Even looking at it gives me an anticipatory shudder.
Velcro fasteners ripping apart. Ugh. Like if spheres made of razor were twisting and turning deep in my ear canals, making dozens of tiny slices on my eardrum and all around it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 12:01:22 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #115325 on: December 12, 2016, 12:05:35 pm »

@Av: There probably is a push for that. Most folks seem to like the convenience of having a small mostly-functional computer they can carry around more than they like a charge life measured in weeks. I certainly do, ehehe.
Yeeeah, but your e-book, with its limited app selection, color capacity and refresh rate, is way less of a functional computer than a tablet would be. It might be at some point in the future, but not right now. To me it's a choice between having a functional book and some sort of inferior untertablet, at least at the moment.

-snip-
Which one do you have? My Kindle Paperwhite lasts for a month or two if I keep the light on low and put it in airplane mode.
Huh, not bad. Might be a bit out of my price range, though. Perhaps I can rephrase my complaint from "modern ebooks are kinda crap" to "budget ebooks are kinda crap". They don't have any actual reason to be, though. My Tesla Symbol could last like ten times longer for its battery capacity if some genius didn't decide to leave some background process running for all the time that it's on.
The Kindle Paperwhite is $99.99, and a regular Kindle (no backlight) costs $79.99. How cheap is the one you're using?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115326 on: December 12, 2016, 12:12:17 pm »

-snip-
The Kindle Paperwhite is $99.99, and a regular Kindle (no backlight) costs $79.99. How cheap is the one you're using?
...Very? I got it for like 3k R, which would put it at... $40? But I also have a bit of an 'eh' kinda feeling about Kindles and their relationship with Amazon, and I dunno if you can get a non-Kindle ebook for that price. Maybe you can, I haven't actually checked since I was operating on a very limited budget when I got this one.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #115327 on: December 12, 2016, 01:15:34 pm »

Why do clothes made from polyester just say 'polyester' on the washing instructions and not, say, 'polyethylene terephthalate'? Cotton clothing isn't marked as being made of 'cellulose fiber', sure, but I'd still like to know how to properly dispose of the material once I'm done with it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 01:17:43 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #115328 on: December 12, 2016, 01:18:04 pm »

where did

'1000 years'

of xxyy come from?

1000 of light, 1000 year empire, 1000 year peace.  etc.

and dont say 'rome' cuz im looking more for a single source and prefer to see one pre-antiquity
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #115329 on: December 12, 2016, 01:24:29 pm »

The most likely answer is the fact that even in the most ancient of civilizations, there were always people that neared a hundred years in age. Going with nice round numbers, "a thousand years" becomes a nice easy way to say "ten times as long as the oldest people you will ever meet."
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #115330 on: December 12, 2016, 01:28:34 pm »

Why do clothes made from polyester just say 'polyester' on the washing instructions and not, say, 'polyethylene terephthalate'? Cotton clothing isn't marked as being made of 'cellulose fiber', sure, but I'd still like to know how to properly dispose of the material once I'm done with it.

Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #115331 on: December 12, 2016, 01:51:17 pm »

*shakes fist* Reader. My ebooks cannot into programs, unless something has gone terribly, terribly wrong.

That said, it's... an android OS, and amazon didn't try nearly hard enough to lock the machine down to amount to much. The app selection's as good as anything mobile is and easily covers everything I actually want to use the thing for, and color capacity and refresh rate I give less than zero complimentary fornications about I'm actually not sure why capacity matters at all, tbh. This thing's a fire, not an e-ink machine. It is less functional than a lap/desktop, but... I don't need it to be that functional. It actually does about everything I'd want to do with a touchscreen, right now. Actually didn't think I'd be as fond of the thing when I got it as I am, now, and probably didn't when it was initially gifted to me, but after a few months of pointedly ignoring amazon and everything it wanted me to do and finagling the thing like a budget pimp in a back alley (and several more of just using the thing, after it was properly broken in) I'm pretty happy with it.

That said, circadian rhythm person above: Thing I use's called twilight. There's other f.lux equivalents, too. Helps tremendously for low-light usability, particularly if you like curling up and reading before you go to sleep. Vis a vis the versus thing, I'm not actually against books (been a bibliophile of limited means most of my life, and still have trouble stopping myself from getting books on the cheap when I notice them), m'just pretty certain digital wins on... basically every front except maybe tactile and durability (and that one's iffy... there's different concerns involved). Like paper well enough but y'know. Library in pocket. All the rest of it's just garnish. It's very difficult to drag a library around with you otherwise, and when you can and often do go through a trade paperback in 3-4 hours or less, you kinda' need a library :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #115332 on: December 12, 2016, 02:02:43 pm »

set it all on fire, child
Bad idea without knowing what it is. Some, but not all, polyesters burn into poisonous gas, and often melt before burning, which has its own dangers.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #115333 on: December 12, 2016, 02:09:33 pm »

... I'm not seeing the bad in this. Not only fire, but poisonous gas and viscous flesh melting puddles? It's christmas come early, with more screaming.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #115334 on: December 12, 2016, 02:13:02 pm »

True, but less screaming than goblinmas.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7687 7688 [7689] 7690 7691 ... 11037