Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7685 7686 [7687] 7688 7689 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14491519 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #115290 on: December 11, 2016, 08:07:09 pm »

Anyone ever get the impression that MOBAs would be drastically improved if MOBAs didn't have Carrys?

Like... if people had to rely on plays and their own strength to win matches instead of just one character on their team spiraling out of control until he is more powerful then everyone else or even the whole enemy team combined.

Not to mention that Carrys are typically split into two groups
1) Harassers: The Carry needs to harass weaker players and characters and are based around doing so (THE WORST! The reason I hate Dota 2 is entirely this!)
2) "Carry me": The Carry is useless and needs to be carried themselves

Yet even being a Carry isn't all fun and games because if you aren't just killing everyone... It typically means you are being constantly disabled.

---

My Brother says the reason a Carry is necessary is to limit how long games last. They serve as a sort of time limit.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 08:09:17 pm by Neonivek »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115291 on: December 11, 2016, 08:11:41 pm »

What if each team got one NPC carry? Then every game would have one, and nobody has to play the boring role.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115292 on: December 11, 2016, 08:14:10 pm »

My stepdad's brother, who recently moved into the upstairs apartment, keeps trying to push himself into my life, as well as making comments about my weight, diet, etc. I want nothing to do with him, and I don't appreciate the comments. He doesn't know me, and he should stop acting like he does or that he has any control over my life.
Do your parents do anything about him?   :-\

Besides wholeheartedly agreeing with him?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #115293 on: December 11, 2016, 08:22:37 pm »

I'm currently having a hard time deciding on whether or not I want to call off work tonight. There's an immense amount of snow on the ground right now, (particularly for the first real snowfall of the season - 6" isn't so bad later in the winter, but when nobody's started to relearn how to drive in the stuff yet) but the county sheriff is stubbornly refusing to go from a level II snow emergency (drive only if you absolutely have to) to a level III (driving may result in arrest) with several hours of snowfall left. Quite apart from my inexperience with winter driving, I have a nagging suspicion that the snow emergency isn't being elevated primarily because there isn't a lot of traffic on Sunday nights to begin with, and the hope is that the storm will blow out sooner than expected. If this is the case, the emergency will likely be elevated a few hours into my shift, forcing me to go home.

Of course, this may be a moot point - my alleyway is completely undisturbed and I'm not entirely sure my little car can blaze the trail.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #115294 on: December 11, 2016, 08:29:05 pm »

Seconded, seriously...

So I had to go to the phone store today...  With a broken phone...
Okay time to navigate- oh
Well Google Maps shows me the place, but what's the best route?  Oh right that's still a feature in the web version
Okay I'll store this by taking a picture- oh
I'll just text myself- wow

The location was only one turn off the interstate, too.  I got there just fine (:  I'm just used to offloading certain tasks, including ones people usually used paper for.
I remember the days when old folks like me predicted that the advent of GPS and TomTom would create a generation that would be helplessly lost without their electronic tool. Seems like we're on the right track. Friendly female electronic voice: Destination reached in, one generation
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115295 on: December 11, 2016, 10:26:47 pm »

Seconded, seriously...

Well Google Maps shows me the place, but what's the best route?  Oh right that's still a feature in the web version

The location was only one turn off the interstate, too.  I got there just fine (:  I'm just used to offloading certain tasks, including ones people usually used paper for.
I remember the days when old folks like me predicted that the advent of GPS and TomTom would create a generation that would be helplessly lost without their electronic tool. Seems like we're on the right track. Friendly female electronic voice: Destination reached in, one generation
somehow i imagine people said that about the advent of the road map.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115296 on: December 11, 2016, 11:15:52 pm »

Hey now, writing down what the operator or reference librarian reads out to you is history!  Have some respect (;
Really though, it's good to be thankful for how things recently were.  We've come such a ridiculous way...

Also, I've been having this problem since high school:
http://xkcd.com/1770/
I'm *still* customizing my desktop to look like Windows 2000, so yeah, I'm screwed.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #115297 on: December 11, 2016, 11:27:25 pm »

Seconded, seriously...

somehow i imagine people said that about the advent of the road map.
Fun fact, road maps don't fuck with your ability to orient yourself in the world the way that GPS guides and the egocentric model of the world they support do.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115298 on: December 11, 2016, 11:29:17 pm »

If you think that GPS is "egocentric", you might be overthinking things a bit.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115299 on: December 11, 2016, 11:35:58 pm »

I do still prefer my maps with North up instead of forwards up, and it'd be nice if people could learn basic orienteering in primary school.
I'm skeptical whether that "egocentric" system makes people egocentric in the normal sense, though...  Good use of the word though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115300 on: December 12, 2016, 12:35:10 am »

But wouldn't you angle the map anyway?

It is a good skill, though.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #115301 on: December 12, 2016, 04:32:08 am »

TIL Jingle Bells wasn't originally a Christmas song. But was intended as a Thanksgiving song.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #115302 on: December 12, 2016, 07:16:11 am »

snip

I don't know if he was implying Google maps makes you egocentric in the normal sense. Apparently in map lingo, "egocentric" is the term for a system where the map is oriented around the user. If the map is oriented based on static objects/locations in the world, it's considered "allocentric".
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 07:17:42 am by penguinofhonor »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #115303 on: December 12, 2016, 09:40:05 am »

Today's morning wakeup call: Spatula del fuego. No, I don't know spanish, no, I don't care about whatever extent that's wrong.

Smoke alarm and a hazy, choking house is not nearly the worst thing to start a morning with, but it's gotta' be at least bronze league competitive.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115304 on: December 12, 2016, 09:53:43 am »

I'm sure most people don't know how to fight off wild tigers with a spear nowadays either Granddad.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:55:24 am by Criptfeind »
Pages: 1 ... 7685 7686 [7687] 7688 7689 ... 11037