Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7664 7665 [7666] 7667 7668 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14465601 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #114975 on: December 06, 2016, 02:55:43 am »

The big screens at this aiport have a whole car-sized panel devoted to advertisements, but the current time is tiny. ???
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114976 on: December 06, 2016, 04:07:32 am »

Wait... For the longest time people have been contending that the "48% of gamers are women" is misleading because it lumps all games together and makes it appear as if women are part of the core audience of games like Grand Theft Auto (in spite evidence to the contrary) and not only, in many ways, condemns the platform but in many ways exonerates it for actually being far more inclusive then people give credit for thanks to that statistic.

Why the world hasn't there been a backup study just to try to prove or disprove the counter argument? It has been well over a year.

In fact to my knowledge they actually did this study in other countries.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:09:09 am by Neonivek »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114977 on: December 06, 2016, 04:08:47 am »

For the longest time people have been contending that the "48% of gamers are women".
More like "10% of gamers are Gamers".
Which is interesting and contentuous, because what defines an athlete or a sportsman?
I personally would say a person who plays only rugby, or handball, or hopscocth could be called sportsmen.
But athletes carry certain fitness and genetics connotations.
So I personally think that 'gamer' is defined much like 'athlete' in that someone can only call themselves a gamer if they are well-versed in a variety of games over a variety of consoles.
Someone who only plays FPS's on a specific console, I personally wouldn't regard as a gamer, unless I could guarantee that were you to sit them in front of a computer and get them to play Skyrim, they could pick it up instantly.
Just like an athlete who plays football, I could expect to put a tennis racquet in the hand of and not have them suck completely.

Quote from: Deut. 23:1
No one who has been emasculated by crushing or cutting may enter the assembly of the LORD.
Nobody said anything about burning.
Bring on the lasers!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:14:29 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114978 on: December 06, 2016, 04:13:55 am »

If a rock falls on your junk, you don't get into heaven.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114979 on: December 06, 2016, 04:18:57 am »

TIL that Heaven is just a scheme by Judeo-Christian God to surround theirself with virile Men.

Thanks for far-improving my religious headcannon, thread.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114980 on: December 06, 2016, 04:21:18 am »

Huh, just realized that Soli's avatar now features catarse. Again.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114981 on: December 06, 2016, 04:24:26 am »

You're welcome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #114982 on: December 06, 2016, 04:36:21 am »

TIL that Heaven is just a scheme by Judeo-Christian God to surround theirself with virile Men.

Thanks for far-improving my religious headcannon, thread.
Hey, the turn the other cheek bit can be interpret as divine command to full monty folks. Streaker J gets things done, good gasbug.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114983 on: December 06, 2016, 04:52:47 am »

Dude, have you ever seen that painting of jacob fighting the Angel? Heaven is like that, except all the time.

Also, I AM FREEEEEE

I SHALL STEAL YOUR FOOD AND EAT YOUR WOMEN
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114984 on: December 06, 2016, 05:29:58 am »

RE Tack: "No True Scotsman"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #114985 on: December 06, 2016, 06:15:22 am »

The athlete thing is a bad comparison, because Gamering is more than just playing games, it's about being part of a culture which exist around a hobby. For example, I play vidya games, but I do not consider myself a "Gamer". I often play non-vidya tabletop games with my family, but I do not consider myself a "tabletop game player". Instead of athletes, compare instead to the music subcultures and how they group together: for example, I listen to rock every day, often for several hours, but I am not a "Rocker" either. Being part of of these groups are about being more than about doing.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114986 on: December 06, 2016, 06:23:32 am »

I think the distinction is important because well... It is about who is buying what and what sub-culture they are part of at least somewhat.

I mean why don't we consider every Book reader to be part of the Comic Book community? They are both books right?

It isn't so much to be exclusionary... they are just two separate markets... There is certainly overlap but that is what it is... overlap. Nor do they share enough of the same market to be considered different sets of the same market that are just separated by demographics like "Movies" would be.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 06:34:34 am by Neonivek »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114987 on: December 06, 2016, 08:47:37 am »

RE Tack: "No True Scotsman"
In my opinion, that 'fallacy', is contradictory. It uses the presence of multiple identifying markers in order to invalidate them.
Sure, the person born in Scotland is a Scotsman. However, anyone with more venn crossovers with that would be 'More' scotsman.
Therefore if someone was possessed of every vice, hobby and affectation which scotsmen are known of, they would be a 'True' scotsman.

To use 'No true scotsman' would be to bin 'The last roman'.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114988 on: December 06, 2016, 10:55:50 am »

Unrelated: An Islands match that isn't dull grush wars!?

Galley rushes are ridiculously high-skill at that level. I find that aspect overrules the repetitiveness, for me.
It's true to an extent, but even at that level of play the micro still looks very much the same every time unless someone fucks up. Land's just inherently more interesting to watch at any level of play because of structures, terrain variation, elevation, having a decent mix of units, &c. It's no coincidence that the most interesting water fights tend to be the ones that involve shoreline castles/towers/rams (or just demo ship spam, heh), or FFA no diplo ones where a bunch of different players are brawling.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #114989 on: December 06, 2016, 12:07:19 pm »

wait you have an alt account?

is Toady okay with that?

what's the problem with sharing on your main account anyway?
Whilst unlikely, it is entirely possible that one day someone could find some compromising information about yourself on an obscure ASCII Dorf discussion forum far in the future and link it to your IRL name
This is totally a fear of mine. I'm still tempted to go back through my posts every-so-often and delete any personal info, but I have 10000 posts now so that's not particularly practical.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 7664 7665 [7666] 7667 7668 ... 11037