Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7654 7655 [7656] 7657 7658 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471140 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #114825 on: December 03, 2016, 10:17:47 pm »

ALSO:

News flash: children don't understand justice.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114826 on: December 03, 2016, 10:27:56 pm »

Well, it depends on the child really. One thing that's true for sure is that children are a lot less pragmatic which means they aren't going to compromise on their ideals just because of petty things like "practicality" or "efficiency".

Naturally, this had both it's upsides and its downsides.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114827 on: December 03, 2016, 10:28:56 pm »

ALSO:

News flash: children don't understand justice.

Children have an inherent idea of justice... or at least "Fairness" as with a lot of animals.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114828 on: December 03, 2016, 10:34:11 pm »

That's like a cargo cult version of a Venn diagram. It superficially resembles one, but doesn't actually work...

I have a WTF: Hot pants are not pants. Apparently, they're shorts. If hot pants aren't pants then what do you call pants which are hot! Sexypants? Subjectively hot actual pants?

Neo: My observational studies, by which I mean "watching a 4 year old" have shown that children's innate sense of justice consists of one rule: "I am the most important being in existence and other people only exist to entertain and feed me, not that I will actually eat the food that I demand or anything."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114829 on: December 03, 2016, 10:48:57 pm »

Like I said before, it depends on the child. Some children are selfish brats while others are actually the innocent darlings our culture treats them as.

Anyway, the toddler years are a very selfish age for children and to be honest, I think toddlers are worse than teenagers. Wait till the kid is around 6 and then you will have an idea of what kind of morals the child actually has.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114830 on: December 03, 2016, 11:18:13 pm »

Why is it that I can't find a good argument anywhere for why Videogame's aren't art?

The only ones that come close also have to exclude other classic examples of art like paintings and movies (movies which were also considered not to be art).

The most common form of rejection are that videogames are entertainment... that they are a sport and sport aren't art.

It is seriously boiling down to Videogames being new. The WEIRDEST argument for why Videogames aren't art is because they are "Working class" (because you know... movies are made for the hoity toities)

---

Yet the things they always compare it to are Board games and Sports... ALWAYS those.

Look... people who argue that videogames aren't art... That is fine and dandy but I think you are sort of not understanding one important facet.

Videogames are more like Architecture. They are a series of structure that creates a larger picture while still serving a practical purpose.

The Tajmahal is beautiful, but it isn't a statue. Yet we don't say that because it is a building that it isn't art.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 11:27:09 pm by Neonivek »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114831 on: December 03, 2016, 11:22:05 pm »

I have a WTF: Hot pants are not pants. Apparently, they're shorts. If hot pants aren't pants then what do you call pants which are hot! Sexypants? Subjectively hot actual pants?

Temperature-elevated pants? Pants-that-are-on-fire(and-therefore-you-are-a-liar)?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #114832 on: December 04, 2016, 12:59:34 am »

SKYS RIM BELONGS TO THE NORDS!
STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM
No lollygaggin'.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114833 on: December 04, 2016, 01:13:08 am »

No loli gagging either.

EDIT: Unintended meaning.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 01:16:45 am by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114834 on: December 04, 2016, 01:21:28 am »

Panties, underpants, pantsu

Anyway, "hot pants" was pushed as a term in about 1970 apparently to rebrand "shorts" as a fashion item.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 01:23:06 am by Reelya »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #114835 on: December 04, 2016, 03:06:38 am »

If hot pants aren't pants then what do you call pants which are hot! Sexypants? Subjectively hot actual pants?
Skinny jeans or slim-fit pants, at least by current* fashion.

*IcyTea31 does not follow fashion.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #114836 on: December 04, 2016, 03:34:33 am »

the civil war in syria is a lot more complex than i first thought it was...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114837 on: December 04, 2016, 03:36:32 am »

Well looks like I found another word that needs to be retired.

First was "Entitled" Which is used as: You want something I don't believe you deserve.

and now we have "Smug" which is used as: You are wrong but think you are right.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114838 on: December 04, 2016, 03:38:18 am »

No words need to be retired. People are just jackasses and abuse language conventions, which are way too malleable.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114839 on: December 04, 2016, 03:41:06 am »

We will retire both those words and replace them with "ungood" or possibly even "doubleplusungood."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 7654 7655 [7656] 7657 7658 ... 11037