Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7645 7646 [7647] 7648 7649 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14473439 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #114690 on: December 01, 2016, 06:00:47 pm »

ARMA and Squad seem outdated now.
I'll believe it when I see a couple hours of infantry gameplay. 5:30 of in-engine footage and they show maybe ten seconds of infantry combat split into four or five clips and avoid showing UI altogether. What we did see looked like ArmA II except with shitty placeholder muzzle flash sprites. It's really easy to smooth over shitty UI, shitty environmental interactions, awkward controls, bad graphics, &c. when you only show external views of and guncams from aircraft zipping around far above the ground.

Also, comments and ratings disabled. Smells like bullshit to me.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #114691 on: December 01, 2016, 06:02:28 pm »

They have literally whole Earth available right now, which is why they focused on aircraft because it is easier to see the sheer scale of this shit when you're flying at supersonic.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114692 on: December 01, 2016, 06:04:26 pm »

They have literally whole Earth available right now, which is why they focused on aircraft because it is easier to see the sheer scale of this shit when you're flying at supersonic.
Most people don't give a damn about scale if basic mechanics are terrible, lackluster, or missing. Remember the game that shall not be named?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #114693 on: December 01, 2016, 06:05:46 pm »

It's a wombat born under the Taurus star sign.

I thought that was a wombull.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #114694 on: December 01, 2016, 06:07:49 pm »

That was, indeed, the joke.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #114695 on: December 01, 2016, 06:08:39 pm »

Most people don't give a damn about scale if basic mechanics are terrible, lackluster, or missing. Remember the game that shall not be named?
No.

Not to mention that it seems to be build much more like VBS than ARMA.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #114696 on: December 01, 2016, 06:18:07 pm »

That actually got a rather expansive update that vastly improved things. So, you know, the moral of this story is that updates are good and the game might someday pick up.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #114697 on: December 01, 2016, 06:37:17 pm »

We shall see. Personally, I am still not done with ArmA II yet. ArmA III, apparently, went Sci-Fi quite suddenly, and since then, I haven't felt like keeping up with the series.

And to tell the truth, I always get rather suspicious when a game promises that sort of great, big features; global maps, infantry combat, aircraft combat, vehicles and whatnot. It sounds quite impressive, but it could also just be unfocused. While the vehicles in the ArmA series are amusing and at least reasonably realistic, it is clear that the focus was mainly on the infantry combat, which was the best choice, overall. It worries me with games that do not seem prepared to make that choice on focus.
Also, what does 'A Global Sandbox. Open World. No Limits.' actually mean? It is just buzzwords, and rather worrying ones, too. Is it an MMO? How does the global interface work? How detailed is the sandbox? Is there a strategy element to it? And the scenes in the trailer, were they staged, or were they part of a mission/scenario or a random event? I am assured that it is No Limits, at least.

Added to which, it looks incredibly unpolished at the moment. It looks more like a budget ArmA by way of Unity, at a glance. Besides the global map thing, it does not seem to do anything remarkably better or different.

And, of course, the most important question; does it come with an editor? I'd be surprised if it didn't, though.

It is... Intriguing, at the moment. Quite possibly a pleasant alternative to ArmA, but there isn't much to go on besides that. It looks rather unpolished and unfocused, and I'm unsure if the global map gimmick will truly hold up. It sounds and seems impressive, but I imagine it would look rather generic and undeveloped, once you are in the thick of it as an infantryman or vehicle crew, and can see the pre-baked, recently generated buildings up close.
Well-worth keeping an eye on, but I'm unconvinced. Hell, I think it could be fantastic as a focused strategy game or combat flight simulator or similar, something less likely to draw attention to the drawbacks of generating level from satellite maps.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #114698 on: December 01, 2016, 07:16:00 pm »

We shall see. Personally, I am still not done with ArmA II yet. ArmA III, apparently, went Sci-Fi quite suddenly, and since then, I haven't felt like keeping up with the series.
Use mods for ArmA III. You can have everything from WWI to Halo-future-tier stuff on one map, even WH40k stuff once it comes out. The biggest advantage of ArmA III is Zeus.

And to tell the truth, I always get rather suspicious when a game promises that sort of great, big features; global maps, infantry combat, aircraft combat, vehicles and whatnot. It sounds quite impressive, but it could also just be unfocused. While the vehicles in the ArmA series are amusing and at least reasonably realistic, it is clear that the focus was mainly on the infantry combat, which was the best choice, overall. It worries me with games that do not seem prepared to make that choice on focus.
Also, what does 'A Global Sandbox. Open World. No Limits.' actually mean? It is just buzzwords, and rather worrying ones, too. Is it an MMO? How does the global interface work? How detailed is the sandbox? Is there a strategy element to it? And the scenes in the trailer, were they staged, or were they part of a mission/scenario or a random event? I am assured that it is No Limits, at least.
Staged in editor, I think.

Added to which, it looks incredibly unpolished at the moment. It looks more like a budget ArmA by way of Unity, at a glance. Besides the global map thing, it does not seem to do anything remarkably better or different.
Their jog animation is fucking hilarious if you see their other vid. It's truly budget ArmA, but also it's quite very much early in development, so...

And, of course, the most important question; does it come with an editor? I'd be surprised if it didn't, though.
It does, and it seems to be much, much more advanced than ArmA III one, since it's basically Zeus but with much more possibilities and ability to pause and so on.

It is... Intriguing, at the moment. Quite possibly a pleasant alternative to ArmA, but there isn't much to go on besides that. It looks rather unpolished and unfocused, and I'm unsure if the global map gimmick will truly hold up. It sounds and seems impressive, but I imagine it would look rather generic and undeveloped, once you are in the thick of it as an infantryman or vehicle crew, and can see the pre-baked, recently generated buildings up close.
Well-worth keeping an eye on, but I'm unconvinced. Hell, I think it could be fantastic as a focused strategy game or combat flight simulator or similar, something less likely to draw attention to the drawbacks of generating level from satellite maps.
TBH I see it could be genius strategy game - big scale, has supposedly decent FPS element - I could see it being sort of Wargame with Men Of War esque ability to jump in and control every unit. It would be great.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #114699 on: December 01, 2016, 07:19:07 pm »

ARMA was outdated since when it was still called OFP, really. They haven't changed the underlying engine, and it sucks quite a lot. Especially in netplay. It's the only game I know where clients have more power than hosts, and lagging actually makes you more effective at killing your enemies.

It's all probably because it hasn't got any competition; it's good to see that changing.

Still, I'm not very convinced about that "Earth-from-space view", what with the cloud cover being a 2D plane on a fixed - and pretty low - height above the ground. They missed an opportunity at the end to show some ballistic missile shots, with camera following up the warhead's re-entry with subsequent large explosion on the ground to show that it's all really a part of the same continuous 3D space.
._.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #114700 on: December 01, 2016, 07:40:58 pm »

Hmm. Modding might be an idea. I adored the original Finnish Defence Forces mod, and the WW2 spin-off. There was a great, big Czech army mod I liked, and a really comprehensive Swedish army mod for tea (about the only video game experience my old father liked, I think it made him quite nostalgic). Talk about memories. It's worth a shot, sometime.

But what is Zeus? I'm likely very misinformed, but I thought it was a trimmed-down, babby's first editor thing you could access in-game (like a development from that odd Armory thing). It sounds awfully more intriguing than I thought.
(I might be a bit of an editor elitist, though. Back in my day, we clipped out script blocks from websites, pasted them together, dropped in the mission folder, played with triggers, did strange things in HTML we barely understood, and that is how we liked it, phaarrr!!)

Now, a strategy game with that sort of Direct Control feature, that is something I could see turning out great! I do hope that happens, I do not think profiling itself as an ArmA but Bettertm will help.

ARMA was outdated since when it was still called OFP, really. They haven't changed the underlying engine, and it sucks quite a lot. Especially in netplay. It's the only game I know where clients have more power than hosts, and lagging actually makes you more effective at killing your enemies.

It's all probably because it hasn't got any competition; it's good to see that changing.

Still, I'm not very convinced about that "Earth-from-space view", what with the cloud cover being a 2D plane on a fixed - and pretty low - height above the ground. They missed an opportunity at the end to show some ballistic missile shots, with camera following up the warhead's re-entry with subsequent large explosion on the ground to show that it's all really a part of the same continuous 3D space.

I will support any endeavour in the world, if it makes Bohemia mend or replace their sodding engine... Use Unreal if you have to, lads, just do something!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114701 on: December 01, 2016, 08:28:25 pm »

Ugh, having trouble regulating body temperature. Mostly, I'm freezing, but I just spent more than an hour under a blanket in a hoodie, where parts of my body were alternating really hot and still-freezing. Sitting up is hard, it makes my stomach hurt. I'm finding it very difficult to eat or drink anything in this situation as well.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114702 on: December 01, 2016, 08:29:29 pm »

Take some acetaminophen (tylenol). It's a fever reducer.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #114703 on: December 01, 2016, 08:34:04 pm »

I don't know what is odder - the fact that I can't find a silly web animation from years ago, or the fact that I just spent twenty minutes looking for it.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #114704 on: December 01, 2016, 08:46:41 pm »

I've got too curious. Now I think I need some amnesia liquid. Ugh.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 7645 7646 [7647] 7648 7649 ... 11037