Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7635 7636 [7637] 7638 7639 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14479514 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #114540 on: November 29, 2016, 08:53:23 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Christianity, isn't it the case that:
1. Jesus is in Heaven
2. It's been ~2000 years since Jesus was alive
3. Baseball did not exist when Jesus was alive
4. People in Heaven look down on you (people say they do, anyways)
5. People's opinions and priorities often change over just a few years
6. Therefore, you have no way to know what Jesus might think about baseball or whether he might be rooting for a particular team
7. Besides, if you're rooting for the wrong team, or if rooting for a sports team is some kind of sin, Jesus died for your sins, didn't he?

On the other hand, if Jesus didn't get in on the hype for the chariot races of his time, why would he care about something as comparatively lame as baseball?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #114541 on: November 29, 2016, 08:53:38 pm »

Only if you believe God intervenes in human affairs and awards or retracts victory which is super heresy

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114542 on: November 29, 2016, 08:54:03 pm »

1. Jesus is in Heaven
6. Therefore, you have no way to know what Jesus might think about baseball or whether he might be rooting for a particular team
7. Besides, if you're rooting for the wrong team, or if rooting for a sports team is some kind of sin, Jesus died for your sins, didn't he?

*Technically*, and I am not a Christian...
I think only the odd numbers there are actually true, according to Christianity.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114543 on: November 29, 2016, 08:55:29 pm »

Only if you believe God intervenes in human affairs and awards or retracts victory which is super heresy

Um, Moses and the 10 plagues of Egypt? He certainly intervened in human affairs there.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114544 on: November 29, 2016, 08:56:19 pm »

Um, Moses and the 10 plagues of Egypt? He certainly intervened in human affairs there.

New Covenant, son. God in the Old Testament behaves very differently than He does in the New.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 08:58:10 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114545 on: November 29, 2016, 08:58:55 pm »

New Covenant, son. God in the Old Testament behaves very differently than He does in the New.

I thought he meant the whole bible. Though it was less of a Zeus going 'Do this or I smite you with my thunderbolt!' and more of a guiding assisting a prophet sort of thing.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114546 on: November 29, 2016, 09:00:18 pm »

Wait, don't tell me, is the "New Covenant" something Indiana Jones retrieved?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #114547 on: November 29, 2016, 09:01:56 pm »

Which only means so much for the general concept of Its opinion on baseball changing. The New New Covenant could be "Cubs win, forever." Or, like. The currently unpublished 2016 Sub New Covenant Regarding Baseball In Particular or something.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #114548 on: November 29, 2016, 09:06:22 pm »

I thought he meant the whole bible. Though it was less of a Zeus going 'Do this or I smite you with my thunderbolt!' and more of a guiding assisting a prophet sort of thing.
Abrogration fam

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114549 on: November 29, 2016, 09:12:48 pm »

I mean, I really don't want to sound petty or preachy (lol) but people do seem to stereotype all Christians as dithering loudmouths without a logical brain cell in their heads. I've met a number of people who simply cannot comprehend that I am a Christian and also don't drool as much as they thought. People who I have known for years and years seem to literally forget and act shocked every time something reminds them.

It's not that hard to reconcile modern science and logic with Christianity. It's not the faith that's the problem, it's the same problem with old folks and new generations and ways of thinking.
Note: I'm not saying that what's made me WTF is that Christians are being reasonable. That would be quite discriminatory and rude.

First WTF the site caused my was not the reasonable opinion, but that the quote went from RAEG to entirely reasonable, even though the tendency is very much for things to go the other way around.

Second and third WTF is the strange logic of the site, where (for example) on some of the articles I'm struggling to extract meaning from the sentences and paragraphs, for some reason? ? ? Literally, "feels like I'm constantly brainfarting".

Fourth WTF is the icing on the cupcake, where they present a reasonable argument and then immediately go "there has to be some reason why this is wrong".

Part of this WTF is the contrast between unreasonable (or un-understandable) and reasonable arguments literally side by side (which, I have to admit, shouldn't be so. People can hold both reasonable and unreasonable views, and it's actually to be expected most of the time). Part of it is the emotionless way in which they deliver things that my brain can't seem to process right now (as an example, if someone shouts stuff that doesn't you can't make sense of at you, it would be normal to think, "oh, they're angry right now so it makes sense their logic might not always follow through, even if they have a point". If someone says the exact same thing at you with a straight face in a calm tone, you'd be thoroughly confused). The other part of the WTF is that this site is oddly calm for proclaiming itself "the Tenth Crusade".

Again, this may just be me being weird again. That thing where I just stare at something and read it and read it again yet it doesn't make sense has been happening a lot lately.

FAKEEDIT:
"While you were writing this 10 new replies were posted"
what

Ben Carson during the Republican primary debates here in the USA was a nice clear demonstration of someone sounding batshit crazy yet perfectly calm at the same time.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114550 on: November 29, 2016, 09:35:01 pm »

1. Jesus is in Heaven

*Technically*, and I am not a Christian...
I think only the odd numbers there are actually true, according to Christianity.

1. Yes
2. It's been ~2000 years since Jesus was alive on earth.
3. True Fact!
4. Possible? Not really clear to me, or really important in the grand scheme of Christianity.
5. Super True
6. 1 John 2:15-17, or maybe Colossians 3:2. Essentially, "God is more important than your hobbies. If you put this much energy into your faith you'd be literally glowing". Titus 2:12 also. Lots and lots of "Seriously, [your favorite material thing] is not that important in comparison to your immortal soul."
7. It's not so much a "sin" as much as "why do you care about these things so overly much, stop it. The Yankees are going to die out with the sun, it's cool."

Also, the times where God intervenes directly are notable because they are the exception. The entire concept of Jesus is wrapped around the idea that he worked within already existing systems to achieve his goals.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #114551 on: November 29, 2016, 09:40:41 pm »

... man, if streaker j was operating within existing systems I want to know where the hell my water walking and spontaneous liquid transmutation went. That stuff'd be crazy useful for living in a swamp.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114552 on: November 29, 2016, 10:06:23 pm »

... man, if streaker j was operating within existing systems I want to know where the hell my water walking and spontaneous liquid transmutation went. That stuff'd be crazy useful for living in a swamp.

I should have been more specific :)

I don't want to pontificate, but suffice to say that God in his overarching plan for humans as a whole and the way Jesus fits into them is a very hands-off kind of thing by necessity. Jesus on Earth certainly did not follow that particular M.O. Part of the point with Jesus was that "You kids won't even believe in me if I raise your loved ones from the dead right in front of you". They still found a reason to crucify him.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #114553 on: November 30, 2016, 12:09:11 am »

This wtf fits in to the current offrail:
I've got a friend for a few years now. He always seemed to objectively despise religion for reasons best known to himself. So we always avoided religious discussions, ok.

Today he reveals to me that he has been confirmed. wat.

Edit: Ooh wait. Just remembered a piece of gold that came up in youth group that proves we need to educate people about religions that aren't their own:
Budda, yeah. That's the one the Jews worship, right? The one where an apple dropped on his head.
God I about died when the kid said this.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 12:15:32 am by overseer05-15 »
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114554 on: November 30, 2016, 12:12:19 am »

This wtf fits in to the current offrail:
I've got a friend for a few years now. He always seemed to objectively despise religion for reasons best known to himself. So we always avoided religious discussions, ok.

Today he reveals to me that he has been confirmed. wat.

Confirmed for what? HIV positive? Scholarship? Inherited millions from a long lost relative? That he's an alien?
Pages: 1 ... 7635 7636 [7637] 7638 7639 ... 11037