Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7608 7609 [7610] 7611 7612 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14488559 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #114135 on: November 24, 2016, 12:43:51 pm »

So my cat was taking me for my daily walk today, and suddenly, a lady spurts out of her house while I pass by and asks to speak to me about my cat.
She said she it's been digging in her front yard, and she even has it on camera.

So I look at her front yard, and I am not surprised my cat, or any cat for that matter, would do that. She's got her whole front yard covered in tiny white pebbles, exactly the size of cat litterbox litter.

I'm not one to victim-blame, but I could barely hold my thoughts to myself there with the lady. Instead I said that I'm not sure what I can do about that, since it doesn't do it when I'm walking with it, and said I'd try walking a new route to see if that will get make my cat not go down her side of the street. It probably won't work though.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114136 on: November 24, 2016, 01:20:21 pm »

So. Uh.

In the course of some drama I don't really give a shit about, the Reddit CEO admitted to shadow-editing user posts because "it's been a long week" (on Wednesday).
...WTF.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #114137 on: November 24, 2016, 01:51:15 pm »

Reddit is pretty bad place if you want moderation visibility, especially considering that in both Reddit-wide and Subreddit bans the usual ones are shadow bans, deleted comments vanish without trace and so on.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114138 on: November 24, 2016, 02:38:29 pm »

If you want a Safe Space though, it's apparently pretty great.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114139 on: November 24, 2016, 02:43:28 pm »

Reddit has been shadier then twitter's armpits since basically forever. They do have website the structure to allow shadow edits and bans on a community formed out of subcommunities that have a second layer of self moderation, it was bound to happen, I mean, look at livejournal.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #114140 on: November 24, 2016, 03:30:17 pm »

Ha that's funny.

Discover that mods on a bastion of free speech on the interwebs could edit posts to make someone break their rules and ban them. Hohohohoho.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #114141 on: November 24, 2016, 03:34:54 pm »

Wow, looks like the internet free speech types will have a legitimate complaint for once.

Why do the admins even have the power to silently edit things... I guess if you're the CEO and you want to do it you can just ask someone to implement it :/  This is why professional PR is a thing.
It's... fairly obvious why? Being able to deal with infringing material is important (particularly on stuff as free ranging as reddit and its ilk), and sometimes doing it without bringing attention to the issue is as well. Can be abused, obviously enough, but that doesn't mean the tool itself is the problem.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114142 on: November 24, 2016, 03:36:00 pm »

Since when has reddit been a bastion of free speech?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114143 on: November 24, 2016, 03:38:19 pm »

Reddit has beaten livejournal for the biggest echo chamber-lopolis and lolcow factory since its inception.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114144 on: November 24, 2016, 03:57:57 pm »

Wow, looks like the internet free speech types will have a legitimate complaint for once.

Why do the admins even have the power to silently edit things... I guess if you're the CEO and you want to do it you can just ask someone to implement it :/  This is why professional PR is a thing.
It's... fairly obvious why? Being able to deal with infringing material is important (particularly on stuff as free ranging as reddit and its ilk), and sometimes doing it without bringing attention to the issue is as well. Can be abused, obviously enough, but that doesn't mean the tool itself is the problem.
If the material is infringing or against the rules, why would one want to avoid attention while removing it? You break the rules, you get busted, this is normal. Why is there a need to do it all sneaky-like, or enable doing it all sneaky-like as a moderation tool?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #114145 on: November 24, 2016, 04:09:34 pm »

Say, ferex, the critter you're giving the kick has a CP web address as a username (and yes, you can say no addresses as names and then you're going to be dealing with letter/symbol replacement instead of something easier to catch via automation). If the admin has traces of what they did and to who...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #114146 on: November 24, 2016, 04:10:22 pm »

That's like saying that dictatorship is not a problem. It's technically correct, since it depends on who's the dictator, but realistically... it's going to be abused, and abused badly, you know?

This isn't the first time I've been hearing really shady things about Reddit, anyway. Anyone remembers when someone posted a guide on how to take over a /r/ subreddit via hidden censorship? I think I even reposted it somewhere here, because it was pretty shocking for me to see people admit to a blatant conspiracy against the public purely voluntarily. Don't remember in which thread I did that, though...
._.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114147 on: November 24, 2016, 06:43:22 pm »

This tweet triggered Twitter to poke me: https://mobile.twitter.com/via_binamera/status/801744041461182464

Presumably because I am @Trafalgard, but wtf.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114148 on: November 24, 2016, 06:55:57 pm »

Went to the house of some family member for Thanksgiving dinner. Turkey was good, everything else was pretty meh. Too many loud, drunk men yelling, and the room I was sitting in amplified it somehow. Watched Jurassic World while I was there - plot: dinosaurs = smart, humans = goddamned stupid, and this applies both in-universe and to the movie's production(and my family).

I have a massive headache, and the screaming kid sitting next to me watching the movie didn't help.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114149 on: November 24, 2016, 06:57:37 pm »

I'm worried about how r/The_Donald and similar alt-right echo chamber subreddits are going to react to this. Especially considering this all started with a witch-hunt on their part getting shut down...
That post I linked was from r/The_Donald. They're pissed, but for once I totally agree, and also with the implications: if the CEO has been doing this, who else has access, and how much of subs being shut down or being being banned/getting in legal trouble was false-flagging?

Regardless of your political perspective it's a shitfest precisely because everyone who has had trouble because of reddit comments can claim that this happened to them, and it's difficult to verify conclusively that it isn't the case. It's exactly why people who run things like this need to avoid both this sort of behavior and the appearance of it. It's why livejournal is about as relevant to informed people as yahoo answers.

Also, y'know, behind-the-scenes censorship is bad, m'kay? If you think they're literal fascists I don't see why you'd think censoring them would be either helpful or necessary -- fascists are about as close as we have to guilt-free punching bags, so they should be easy game for the honest approach of beating their ideas openly.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 7608 7609 [7610] 7611 7612 ... 11037