Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7554 7555 [7556] 7557 7558 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14491844 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #113325 on: November 12, 2016, 09:22:50 pm »

Harry Potter is great.

FTFY
You, I'll deal with you later.
Right now, I have a more pressing WTF: went into a department store to buy an SD card, only to find that they didn't have any self-serve checkouts. None. What the hell? This isn't a small department store, either, it's a large chain. Still nothing but (wo)manned checkouts. What year is it? WHAT FUCKING YEAR IS IT?
The only way to deal with him is to thank him for correcting your blunder :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113326 on: November 12, 2016, 09:23:34 pm »

Where I work, a fairly large and international thrift store chain, there's no self-checkout. Then again, with the amount of attempted(and probably successful) shopliftings we have to deal with, we'd probably be better off not doing self-checkout.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #113327 on: November 12, 2016, 10:34:55 pm »

Self-checkout lanes cause dramatic and provable increases in shoplifting and customer fraud, and a less dramatic but still similar decrease in overall efficiency and customer satisfaction. Most stores around here that don't have them openly state that they don't want them, and a few have started to phase them out.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113328 on: November 12, 2016, 10:37:34 pm »

It's true, I once watched someone buy like $40 in Pepsi bottles and steal about $20 of them. Nearly unnoticeable.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #113329 on: November 12, 2016, 10:39:22 pm »

Damn, and here I've been a good honest citizen. I could have been getting 50% extra for free by paying for only part of my goods when the cashier whose supposed to watch the self check lane is helping other customers!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #113330 on: November 12, 2016, 10:39:35 pm »

Harry Potter is great.

FTFY
You, I'll deal with you later.
Right now, I have a more pressing WTF: went into a department store to buy an SD card, only to find that they didn't have any self-serve checkouts. None. What the hell? This isn't a small department store, either, it's a large chain. Still nothing but (wo)manned checkouts. What year is it? WHAT FUCKING YEAR IS IT?
The only way to deal with him is to thank him for correcting your blunder :P

THANK you. At least some of you are cultured. ;D
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113331 on: November 12, 2016, 10:41:52 pm »

The grocery store I shop at which has self-checkout does random occasional checks to see that what you have in your cart matches what is on the screen once you try to check out.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113332 on: November 12, 2016, 11:07:24 pm »

Grocery stores in India have security guards at the exit that check amount of zip-tied-by-the-cashier bags in your cart against the receipt, before he'll let you leave.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #113333 on: November 12, 2016, 11:10:18 pm »

Grocery stores in India have security guards at the exit that check amount of zip-tied-by-the-cashier bags in your cart against the receipt, before he'll let you leave.
One of my local stores had that after the manager found out the employees were working with outsiders to smuggle out sick loot :[

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #113334 on: November 12, 2016, 11:24:53 pm »

Damn, and here I've been a good honest citizen. I could have been getting 50% extra for free by paying for only part of my goods when the cashier whose supposed to watch the self check lane is helping other customers!

Pfft, I worked in retail. Did see a guy of very largeness steal a bottle of Ribena. Thought about trying to stop him, but didn't think the risk to my pudgy body would be worth the 80p I'd save the store.

Equally so, for the first few months he store was open, there was religiously at least one worker "manning" self-checkouts, 'til the opening manager had to open another store. Then it was basically the person who was manning the regular checkout who was to notice when a worker was necessary for something on the self checkout, who would then call another worker over. Usually for someone incapable of scanning an item and putting it in a bag.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #113335 on: November 12, 2016, 11:28:50 pm »

Pfft, I worked in retail. Did see a guy of very largeness steal a bottle of Ribena. Thought about trying to stop him, but didn't think the risk to my pudgy body would be worth the 80p I'd save the store.
Equally so, for the first few months he store was open, there was religiously at least one worker "manning" self-checkouts, 'til the opening manager had to open another store. Then it was basically the person who was manning the regular checkout who was to notice when a worker was necessary for something on the self checkout, who would then call another worker over. Usually for someone incapable of scanning an item and putting it in a bag.
And self checkout tills are an absolute nightmare for security to police
Especially since you can print a receipt if you ordered nothing (or just order the plastic bag), so it makes sense to check the receipts in an area where people try to buy a plastic bag and then fill it with stuff before leaving, as at first glance it would seem like they paid for everything

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #113336 on: November 12, 2016, 11:33:50 pm »

Interesting. This is the first time in a while I've wanted to see something's financial reports. Curious as to if that's cost effective or not, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #113337 on: November 12, 2016, 11:42:58 pm »

When I use self-checkout I sometimes prop fruit and veggies up a bit so that the scale registers them as lighter than they are.

I consider it fair game because the choice they give you is between non-organic stuff that tastes of chemicals and rots in 3-4 days or organic stuff that tastes of nothing and rots in 3-4 days. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113338 on: November 12, 2016, 11:50:33 pm »

I see I am one of the few followers of JUSTICE!  I scan all my items, even making sure to scan each duplicate individually so I don't risk miscounting.  I also don't use the self checkout if I have more than 10 items.  These people that have been bagging items all day can do it far faster than I can and it would be wrong for me to take some person behind me's time as I slowly and inefficiently bag my items.

For shame!  Self checkout cheaters!  For shame!

Admittedly I don't buy much fruit that is bought by the pound though.  As I am addicted to convenience foods that are just a matter of heating and serving...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 11:52:48 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113339 on: November 13, 2016, 12:07:33 am »

I don't cheat, but I always use self-checkout if I can. 9 of 10 times I can beat cashiers at bagging even though I've never been one. I've been getting dirty looks for losing patience and starting to bag my own ever since I was six years old.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 7554 7555 [7556] 7557 7558 ... 11037