Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7503 7504 [7505] 7506 7507 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14475877 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #112560 on: November 03, 2016, 08:55:29 pm »

Also, if that happened, I would bet quite a lot that someone would come up with a way to crack Steam DRM on stuff already downloaded to your local drive. Undownloaded games and cloud saves would likely be fucked though.

They already have that.

Though yeah I have no respect for Origin and will not, under any circumstances, buy any of their games ever again.

Also I will never buy a game that one of my specific friends tells me to buy... because this is the SECOND game he told me to buy so we could "play together" that I have yet to actually "Play together" and that is excluding the ones I get and we play like... 3 times max?

I feel cheated since he knew WHY I was buying it... but he finds his own friends more convenient... As if I have money to burn not knowing that Xenoverse 2 was SERIOUSLY strapping my cash.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:57:26 pm by Neonivek »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #112561 on: November 03, 2016, 08:56:52 pm »

Mmm mmm

So my biggest fear with Steam (That they will eventually shut down and go "Sucks to be you, we are taking back all your games")

Has apparently happened!... With Origin.

It kind of says something when your ENTIRE Origin library exists only as long as EA decides to support Origin... AND decides to support you...

---

Also I am kind of sickened by this attempt by game developers to "Obsolete" their games and then resell them to you later with fixed versions.

Source? All I could find is that they're closing official servers for some old games and ones that barely have any players. Sucks for people that enjoy those games, but if people can reverse-engineer entire MMOs like WoW and SW Galaxies then there's gotta be a way to do the same for those.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112562 on: November 03, 2016, 08:59:22 pm »

Isn't it great when the only way to fix Origin is to pirate their games and your suggestion IS piracy?

As for Source... Dark Spore... EA created Embargos.

Or do you want links to actual articles?

---

Though I never liked that justification "Old game"...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:22:20 pm by Neonivek »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #112563 on: November 03, 2016, 09:38:50 pm »

Over the past few days I've been listening to a lot of music. Simultaneously I've realized that Youtube is absolutely determined to show the me the exact same ads over and over and over. If I never hear that old fucker going on about a dude and his girlfriend named something Schmidt coming up with "Moscow Mule" as a name for a drink, it will be entirely too fucking soon. Once I opened two videos in two tabs at once, and BOTH started playing that same fucking ad, slightly off-tune so you heard one say something that was immediately repeated by the other. That's pretty crazy, right? Google using those targeting ads relentlessly. Except for the fact that I don't drink, have never drunk, have no plans to drink anytime in the future, show immense distaste towards drinking culture, haven't viewed anything relating drinking at all, and even if ALL of that was not the case, I will never drink Smirnoff because fuck THEM, FUCK THAT OLD GUY, FUCK HIS MOSCOW MULE, AND FUCK YOUR TOOTY-FRUITY NONSENSE JUICE.

I think I'm losing my mind...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:43:43 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #112564 on: November 03, 2016, 09:41:43 pm »

Ad block? Ad block.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #112565 on: November 03, 2016, 09:53:23 pm »

Isn't it great when the only way to fix Origin is to pirate their games and your suggestion IS piracy?

As for Source... Dark Spore... EA created Embargos.

Or do you want links to actual articles?

---

Though I never liked that justification "Old game"...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A JRPG like Crono Trigger with no multiplayer or indeed, no online component at all is not exactly comparable to an always-online game like Darkspore. Somebody has to pay the server costs. Not only that, somebody has to be paid to patch the game for bugs and techincal issues, patch the game for balance, somebody has to be paid to moderate the game and any official forums, to run the Twitter and Facebook accounts, create new content to keep the game fresh, fix non-game-related server issues, and answer the phone or email when somebody can't log in because they live in eastern Russia and are trying to connect on their Nokia N-Gage via 56k modem.

The fact is it's expensive to run an online game, let alone one that's worth anything. An online anything isn't a complete unit that can be completed, uploaded and then just exists forever like a SNES cartridge (by the way, the batteries in those will die one day--damn Nintendo and their planned obsolescence). Maybe, instead of EA closing down Dark Spore because they're art-hating scum that just want to kill everybody's fun all the time... maybe nobody cared about Dark Spore and EA couldn't justify paying the bill for a game that very few people play when they have other, higher-profile projects to work on?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:55:10 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #112566 on: November 03, 2016, 09:55:42 pm »

Ad block? Ad block.
Sigh.

I turned it off on Youtube after an appeal by someone who I enjoy watching. I'd be annoyed to have to turn it off again. But I cannot stand more Smirnoff. OH FUCK IT STARTED AGAIN KILL ME.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #112567 on: November 03, 2016, 10:14:23 pm »

That moment when you realize what you've done naming a giant bat bruce, renaming its weapon a batarang, and then switching your (female) character's skin to that of a cat. None of it was intentional, but I now have Bruce the Batarang wielding Crypt Bat following around a female cat. Catwoman, if you will. I'd ask when my pandimensional genocide spree turned into batman fanfiction, but I already know the answer and it was a few minutes ago.

Siralim 2, if anyone was curious where this is happening.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:17:55 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #112568 on: November 03, 2016, 10:15:55 pm »

Manages to get from being told I can't use the term "totes", to figuring it if fraternal twins can be the same sex (yes) in about 4 steps.

A bizarre 30 seconds.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112569 on: November 03, 2016, 10:17:48 pm »

That moment when you realize what you've done naming a giant bat bruce, renaming its weapon a batarang, and then switching your (female) character's skin to that of a cat. None of it was intentional, but I now have Bruce the Batarang wielding Crypt Bat following around a female cat. Catwoman, if you will.

Siralim 2, if anyone was curious where this is happening.
Arrrrgh I need to get this game.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112570 on: November 03, 2016, 10:32:43 pm »

A JRPG like Crono Trigger with no multiplayer or indeed, no online component at all is not exactly comparable to an always-online game like Darkspore. Somebody has to pay the server costs. Not only that, somebody has to be paid to patch the game for bugs and techincal issues, patch the game for balance, somebody has to be paid to moderate the game and any official forums, to run the Twitter and Facebook accounts, create new content to keep the game fresh, fix non-game-related server issues, and answer the phone or email when somebody can't log in because they live in eastern Russia and are trying to connect on their Nokia N-Gage via 56k modem.

The fact is it's expensive to run an online game, let alone one that's worth anything. An online anything isn't a complete unit that can be completed, uploaded and then just exists forever like a SNES cartridge (by the way, the batteries in those will die one day--damn Nintendo and their planned obsolescence). Maybe, instead of EA closing down Dark Spore because they're art-hating scum that just want to kill everybody's fun all the time... maybe nobody cared about Dark Spore and EA couldn't justify paying the bill for a game that very few people play when they have other, higher-profile projects to work on?
Don't defend EA's actions. That argument can be used for any game, including ones that can be played just fine without the online components, because of the push for "always online". That's their tendency, to ensure they control what you play instead of you, because then you can be used for more profit.

I don't expect companies to support games forever, but I do expect them to take responsibility for their creations. It is inherently wrong to permanently close off media from the world, because then you've taken the final step for the commodification of art. It ceases to be both a meaningful creation and a vector for profit, and is made into only the latter. Fuck that.

Every game with online components, servers, or DRM should be expected (by law if not by industry standards) to have an end-of-life plan. Just like Microsoft didn't send out a virus to wipe the kernel of every Windows XP system in the world when they stopped supporting it, companies have no right to supress abandonware. If you aren't selling it, you can't complain when it gets shared. They should be expected to distribute server software so that people can run their own servers at their own cost. They should be expected to deactivate all DRM or at least not stop cracks, because at this point cracking isn't just a piracy measure, it's a necessity to make the software function like its supposed to when an external server can't get a response. And, of course, any content on external servers should be made available as well. None of that is a lot to ask either. People are resourceful. There are entire communities out there for Resident Evil: Outbreak, Metal Gear Online, and Battlefield 2. And, of course, all of DosBOX.

It's funny you mention Nintendo, because they actually aren't an offender in this regard. They make durable products that don't fight the user, and despite their attitude towards fan projects are not killing their own games. As long as a dedicated archival community can continue to allow a game to be played so it doesn't end up permanently destroyed and forgotten like some 1920s film they only ever made one reel of before it was destroyed in a warehouse fire, everything is good.

Here's a video about Darkspore and the issues with it. The way games, especially console gaming, are going is frankly concernedly dystopian at this point. People will continue to try to fight it, but they really shouldn't be expected to have to go through ever more layers of security and obfuscation in the name of bullshit corporate greed. Piracy is alive and well despite all the efforts against it, and so are actual sales, for that matter. It doesn't have to be a war between gamers and publishers.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112571 on: November 03, 2016, 11:11:37 pm »

Quick google-fu says nothing about Origin shutdown? 
Or do you mean EA shutting down single player games or something?  I'm not really following.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #112572 on: November 03, 2016, 11:40:25 pm »

Quick google-fu says nothing about Origin shutdown? 
Or do you mean EA shutting down single player games or something?  I'm not really following.

Same? I don't know what you guys are talking about either.

Also, was Darkspore any good? I've talked to people who swear by it and people who can't stand the sight of it.

And the Nintendo comment up above- pretty sure he was being sarcastic.  Still, good rant MetalSlimeHunt. 10/10.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112573 on: November 04, 2016, 12:21:04 am »

Uh... So the issue is that games get "retired" after a while when they're too old, EA shuts down the servers.

Understandable with multiplayer as the servers become too stale, it's wasted money, but if I have it right, old single-player DRM'd games are also being made unplayable because they don't want to pay to host the "single-player servers".
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #112574 on: November 04, 2016, 01:27:07 am »

Our inverter threw some sparks and appears to be toast. No power from the outlets, but it can read the voltage on the batteries fine, and the batteries do have sufficient power according to it. No crossed wires or obvious causes of short-circuiting, everything appears fine. Maybe something's crossed internally. Guess well figure it out in the morning, its shut off and unplugged for now.

I'll just have to do everything at school/the community center until that's figured out
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 7503 7504 [7505] 7506 7507 ... 11037