Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7491 7492 [7493] 7494 7495 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14482959 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #112380 on: October 31, 2016, 04:50:11 pm »

It's the nursing what did it.
Birds are all sentimental and crap like that.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112381 on: October 31, 2016, 05:01:32 pm »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #112383 on: October 31, 2016, 05:33:42 pm »

Give pigeon a vermifuge

what is

It'll kill all those nasty parasites in it. You may also want to get a pigeon diaper. Yes, they are real and you will need them. Pigeon will otherwise poop wherever whenever.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112384 on: October 31, 2016, 06:18:47 pm »

I went outside in the rain for a cig and a pigeon fell from the sky.

I picked it up and it seems tame. Now it fell asleep on my shoulder. What do I do with it?

A few things to check for:

1) Does it have a band on it's feet? Domestic and Racing Pigeons are given bands to identify them, and help find their owners. They can fall off, but usually don't
2) Does the pigeon pant or gasp, with it's tongue showing? That's a sign of a common (serious, but treatable) parasitic infection in birds.
3) Are there any Pigeon Clubs (Racing, etc.) locally? If so, might want to check with them for a recent fugitive bird.

If you want to take care of this Pigeon, they're sweet and make good pets. I'd suggest you take them to the vet, and get them treated for parasites. Also, figure out how to keep and feed them. You'd probably want an enclosure of some kind, some dishes for seed and water, and some soft bedding like shredded newspaper for starters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112385 on: October 31, 2016, 06:47:29 pm »

If that pigeon fell from the sky as you said, and seems sleepy, it could just be exhausted, but it could also be quite sick. The photo is a bit fuzzy, but it looks like it's pack of feathers isn't nice and smooth, meaning it hasn't been grooming as well as a pigeon should be, which is also a sign of it not feeling well. I think a visit to a vet might be nescessary, if it doesn't eat / drink and stays sleepy.

Also, as mentioned before. Parasites. Yes. Pigeons are notorious fleabags. If you plan on keeping it around and don't want to get lice all over you, I suggest getting some pigeon antiparasitic drugs.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 06:49:00 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #112386 on: October 31, 2016, 06:49:15 pm »

I would suggest getting ready for some cleaning.
Birds, apart from eating and drinking, suprisingly also shit.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112387 on: October 31, 2016, 06:59:23 pm »

1) Does it have a band on it's feet? Domestic and Racing Pigeons are given bands to identify them, and help find their owners. They can fall off, but usually don't
2) Does the pigeon pant or gasp, with it's tongue showing? That's a sign of a common (serious, but treatable) parasitic infection in birds.
3) Are there any Pigeon Clubs (Racing, etc.) locally? If so, might want to check with them for a recent fugitive bird.

If you want to take care of this Pigeon, they're sweet and make good pets. I'd suggest you take them to the vet, and get them treated for parasites. Also, figure out how to keep and feed them. You'd probably want an enclosure of some kind, some dishes for seed and water, and some soft bedding like shredded newspaper for starters.

No band, no gasping etc. Looked up the local stuff but nothing is open this time of night. I may make it a box on the balcony if it doesn't gtfo.

If that pigeon fell from the sky as you said, and seems sleepy, it could just be exhausted, but it could also be quite sick. The photo is a bit fuzzy, but it looks like it's pack of feathers isn't nice and smooth, meaning it hasn't been grooming as well as a pigeon should be, which is also a sign of it not feeling well. I think a visit to a vet might be nescessary, if it doesn't eat / drink and stays sleepy.

Also, as mentioned before. Parasites. Yes. Pigeons are notorious fleabags. If you plan on keeping it around and don't want to get lice all over you, I suggest getting some pigeon antiparasitic drugs.

I think the feathers aren't smooth because it is a little pigeon. Doesn't have urban pigeon colouring either - wood pigeon? It's definitely not mature, doesn't have the right layers of feathers imo. Tho, Pigeon ebola T_T

I would suggest getting ready for some cleaning.
Birds, apart from eating and drinking, suprisingly also shit.

I don't know about that. I think pigeons just made occasional perfume smells, like with human females.

So I put it to bed in a wee box with some water and read it a bedtime story. Hopefully it will feel better tomorrow and not be eaten by a cat.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #112388 on: October 31, 2016, 07:44:00 pm »

I don't know about that. I think pigeons just made occasional perfume smells, like with human females.
Well, I am sure that it will perfume your home all-right.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #112389 on: October 31, 2016, 08:43:27 pm »

Reading that story, Caz, made me go all awwwh :D
Any local radio stations you can go to to announce this, or the police, or other people who can disseminate information quickly and such?
Also you're really good at taking pictures as far as I've seen. That aesthetically pleasing angles :I Much light \o/
But a vet would help a lot there--cheers for its first night with you :D

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112390 on: October 31, 2016, 10:37:28 pm »

Apparently I have to wear a hat today because some horses are running around on television.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112391 on: November 01, 2016, 12:17:08 am »

I do not drink tea.  I assume that is similar to when I have a few dozen cans of soda on my desk and I grab an old one from a few days ago that just wasn't completely drained instead of my fresh one.

Also family decided not to do halloween this year because the dog would bark too much when people came to the front door.  They neglected to realize that the living room window is far brighter than the porch light, so people still came to the door to trick or treat just as long as usual, and the dog still barked all night. My suggestion to turn off the large living room light and use the smaller end table lamp was ignored because that would be too much trouble.  That worked well.

This is why I never skipped Halloween when I lived by myself.  It's more trouble to make the place look empty than it is to just hand out some jolly ranchers every few minutes for an hour.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 12:25:20 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #112392 on: November 01, 2016, 04:26:04 am »

*sip*

This tea tastes a bit off.

*sip*

Definitely a bit bitter. Mustn't have put enough milk in.
That's your problem, you put milk in it. Milk has no place in tea  :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #112393 on: November 01, 2016, 09:31:57 am »

Ugh. Only have six hours left to take for my Master's, and one that is a mandated requirement filled up within hours of early reg opening, both the (single section the program offered for the) course and the waitlist, before I even got home from work. Here's hoping the professor will give me an override, otherwise it's the fun choice between piling up more debt with unnecessary coursework or my loans coming due when I don't have my degree and am stuck working part-time or whatever (i.e. looking for a job with incomplete post-secondary work, and if not in my field trying to lie to interviewers and recruiters about me sticking around) for as much as a year.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112394 on: November 01, 2016, 09:43:55 am »

Ye, the general approach of spaniards and portuguese explorers in delaing with native was kind of roman-esque, IE make friends with the friendlier locals and use them against the more hostile locals. Additionaly, contrary to what is populary belived, Cortez didn't go out hacking people left and right when he met the aztecs, he saw the aztecs at the crux of a civil war and and as a convenient target, so he allied himself with their enemies and defeated the aztecs mostly thanks to their help, because even though they had gunpowder and armor, there's no way they'd be able to do it alone, as Cortez only had about 700 men or something with him.
Spoiler: summary of Cortes (click to show/hide)
Fascinating theory, but historian Neil Young told me that the Aztecs didn't know war.  Also all their women were beautiful, and Montezuma sat around doing philosophy.  Cortez was just a killer, see.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 7491 7492 [7493] 7494 7495 ... 11037