Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7489 7490 [7491] 7492 7493 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14482905 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #112350 on: October 31, 2016, 12:24:06 pm »

If you are scared to post it don't post it censored, otherwise it is just a neutered eunuch post that deserves to be put out of its misery. This line of logic is like making a sexy violent movie censored to make it accessible to children

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Related

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #112351 on: October 31, 2016, 12:25:29 pm »

It's not about children, though.
It's about Toady.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112352 on: October 31, 2016, 12:26:42 pm »

Kinda off topic, but I once read someone was making a censored version of Pasolini's Saló..

Whats the fucking point? Lel
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #112353 on: October 31, 2016, 12:34:20 pm »

Censored version of 120 Days of Sodom...?
...sooooo... last scene with the dancing soldiers?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #112354 on: October 31, 2016, 12:34:38 pm »

It's not about children, though.
It's about Toady.
This changes nothing, except smug anime birds

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #112355 on: October 31, 2016, 12:56:25 pm »

Weren't a significant portion of the natives dead when the colonists moved inland? I've heard it, but I'm not sure. It'd be pretty difficult repelling the invadors while undergoing a huge pandemic ripping across the land.

Of course, all history gets uncomfortable at some point, and it goes unexpected places, at times.
Yes -- IIRC the leading explanation for that is that a plague was set loose in one of the initial contacts. By the time Europeans started settling, they were encountering basically the battered remnants of the east-coast civilizations. When the Mayflower expedition landed, they were able to be so successful because they were literally moving onto cleared, planted land where the local population had recently died off. As in, they took over fields full of growing corn, that's how fresh a lot of the deaths were. The notion of the American "wilderness" is entirely fabricated, most of it was practically fucking parkland that was only thinly peopled because of how many had died to disease.

Until World War II, there was probably not a single real war where humans killed more than disease and famine.

Not that the colonists didn't totally genocide the natives literally and then culturally, but they would have lost that conflict if not for the pandemics. Hell, the US nearly got in trouble as it was, fighting the western natives and the Seminole.
World War I or the American Civil War, maybe. If you count deaths from botched surgery and infection as battlefield casualties. But yes, this is why pre-modern warfare sucked massive dick, most of the deaths came on the march and in camp/siege. You were already statistically lucky if you lived to die in a battle.

Oh yeah. Americans have conveniently forgotten that we spent something like a century constantly at war with different tribes and nations. So much of our history has been thoroughly whitewashed of that bit of guilt. The Louisiana Purchase wasn't a purchase of land, but of a fabricated paper-claim to land. The French-Indian war was fought predominantly through Amerindian proxies. There's also the slightly more positive stuff -- the Boston Tea Partiers didn't dress up as Amerindians to deflect blame (really? Are people today imposing their stupidity on the past? Nobody's that dumb, right?), but because at the time they were seen as a symbol of freedom from central control and oppression (incidentally, this was why a surprising number of European settlers ran off to join local communities, and why authorities worked so hard to suppress knowledge of that pattern of behavior).

It's like, there's historical revision and whitewashing and propaganda everywhere, but America's history with native populations is both incredibly more complex and interesting than it's made out to be, and also almost totally suppressed and forgotten. For good goddamn reason, too: it's as large a stain on our past glory, founding myths, and delusions of morality as fucking slavery. Remember that one of the main reasons the Spanish started the trend of bringing over African slaves is because they enslaved local populations and literally worked them to death.

When was the last time you saw an American elementary-school history book? When I went through primary school (this was early 1990s), the material was about 1% history of the country and 99% "let us tell you about the magical and perfect-in-every-way Native Americans who were completely incapable of violence and were trying to befriend the evil Europeans even while massacred for fun". Which is just as racist as the older concept if you stop to think about it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #112356 on: October 31, 2016, 12:59:42 pm »

I got a weird scabby bit on the back of my head. I dont remember injuring myself at all.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112357 on: October 31, 2016, 01:02:22 pm »

Was it in your hair? That happens sometimes for me, and I think it's just a buildup thing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112358 on: October 31, 2016, 01:05:03 pm »

But I do recall a time there when they were trying to ban singing national anthems at parade because if was alienating our huge extra-national population.
The fuck?
Polish nationalists would literally explode from the sheer fury if something like that were to happen. The parade would end up singing hate-songs.
Australia is a weird place. We have some of the strictest immigration laws in the world and yet our WASP population is so low that they still barely have a voting majority.
The white people, being white people, either furiously deny it's happening or furiously shout for even more bigoted policies to be implemented.

It causes this weird pocket politics thing where one suburb is having Loud Outraged Arguments about people trying to build a mosque and studiously ignoring the other three.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 01:16:12 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #112360 on: October 31, 2016, 02:11:27 pm »

But, soviet anthem was good.  I guess thats part of why the tune stayed.

Man, the place falls apart and suddenly you're taking stalin out of movies and changing the words of the anthem around...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #112361 on: October 31, 2016, 02:21:05 pm »

But I do recall a time there when they were trying to ban singing national anthems at parade because if was alienating our huge extra-national population.
The fuck?
Polish nationalists would literally explode from the sheer fury if something like that were to happen. The parade would end up singing hate-songs.
Australia is a weird place. We have some of the strictest immigration laws in the world and yet our WASP population is so low that they still barely have a voting majority.
The white people, being white people, either furiously deny it's happening or furiously shout for even more bigoted policies to be implemented.

It causes this weird pocket politics thing where one suburb is having Loud Outraged Arguments about people trying to build a mosque and studiously ignoring the other three.

Why would you go to a foreign country if you didn't want to feel alienated, that's why we have them, so even if you're accepted at home you can always go somewhere to feel like an outsider
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112362 on: October 31, 2016, 02:23:31 pm »

But, soviet anthem was good.  I guess thats part of why the tune stayed.
Man, the place falls apart and suddenly you're taking stalin out of movies and changing the words of the anthem around...

Well the line in the anthem about Stalin was changed in, like, late 50's or 60's. This is also when the Soviet leadership started to condemn the so called "cult of [Stalin's] identity", stripping his name from the countless things named after him across the union and dismantling statues.

There was that funny episode recently when a layer of plaster came off from the wall in Moscow underground and revealed a huge portrait of Stalin. Some people got shit scared out of them.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:30:29 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #112363 on: October 31, 2016, 02:33:14 pm »

My Mother lived for a while in Stalinogród. As in, City of Stalin.
In Poland.

Yeaaaah...

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112364 on: October 31, 2016, 02:38:52 pm »

In the height of the renaming hysteria it was briefly considered to rename Moscow to Stalinodar.

But the leadership has settled for Volgograd, that went down in history later as Stalingrad. Nowadays the city has its original name back.

My Mother lived for a while in Stalinogród. As in, City of Stalin.
In Poland.
Yeaaaah...

Well Polish people certainly might wanna rename that one. Did they though, since then?
Sigs

Pages: 1 ... 7489 7490 [7491] 7492 7493 ... 11037